The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Baertschi knocking on the door to top 100.  (Also very quietly one goal off the team lead in that stat this year)

100.  Michel Petit D 226 24 57 81
101.  Sven Baertschi LW 160 42 38 80
102.  Chris Tanev D 363 18 62 80

I never realized just how many goals he has scored here in the past couple years. That is a very respectable 2nd line level production (0.5ppg) on a poor offensive team. Good for Sven. This partnership with Bo and Boesser will only mean that those totals will continue to grow. 

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Baertschi is very underrated on this board... he's always the player people are trying to "upgrade" off of that line.  Bo's offensive ascendance coincides with being paired with Baertschi and Brock has played most of his young career with him as well. 

Not saying he's responsible for those two, but you'd be silly not to give him some credit for complementing them.  Baer's a speedy all-around offensive threat and underrated defensively.  Guy is holding his own on our top line.

I would like to try switching Baer with the Sedins and Virtanen with Bo and Brock if only from r a couple games to see if that sparks something in both lines. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I would like to try switching Baer with the Sedins and Virtanen with Bo and Brock if only from r a couple games to see if that sparks something in both lines. 

Agree totally.  Baer is likely not to be here, when our team's rebuild is complete, so why give him top line minutes with Bo and Brock?  Develop Jake.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Agree totally.  Baer is likely not to be here, when our team's rebuild is complete, so why give him top line minutes with Bo and Brock?  Develop Jake.  

I don't agree with that sentiment I just think Jake might be a better fit with Bo and Brock as he is not a cycle type forward. He's more of a north-south fit. 

Baertschi isn't going anywhere anytime soon and is very under appreciated here.

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't agree with that sentiment I just think Jake might be a better fit with Bo and Brock as he is not a cycle type forward. He's more of a north-south fit. 

Baertschi isn't going anywhere anytime soon and is very under appreciated here.

I'm thinking Baer is gone after the 2017/2018 season, maybe sooner.  We have much younger, and more impactful players coming up soon (Lind, Petersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, and Goldobin).  There will be no spot for Baer.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I'm thinking Baer is gone after the 2017/2018 season, maybe sooner.  We have much younger, and more impactful players coming up soon (Lind, Petersson, Dahlen, Gaudette, and Goldobin).  There will be no spot for Baer.  

Lind and Gaudette could be 2+ Years away. Petterson is a Centre so not really competing with Sven.

Goldobin isn't a sure thing, so that just leaves him in competition with Dahlen and with Daniel Sedin being close to retirement there is room for Dahlen and Baertschi.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Lind and Gaudette could be 2+ Years away. Petterson is a Centre so not really competing with Sven.

Goldobin isn't a sure thing, so that just leaves him in competition with Dahlen and with Daniel Sedin being close to retirement there is room for Dahlen and Baertschi.  

I missed Virtanen.  Jake is a far more effective player on left wing.  Hopefully our organization realizes this, and puts up with Bo and Boeser ( as per your suggestion).  That makes Baer an extra.  Gadjovic is a left wing too.  Dahlen, Jake, Gadjovic.  No room for Baer or Goldobin.  Hmmm. Interesting.

I missed Virtanen.  Jake is a far more effective player on left wing.  Hopefully our organization realizes this, and puts up with Bo and Boeser ( as per your suggestion).  That makes Baer an extra.  Gadjovic is a left wing too.  Dahlen, Jake, Gadjovic.  No room for Baer or Goldobin.  Hmmm. Interesting.

Gadjovich is stil a long ways away I think at this point you're counting your chickens before they hatch. Baertschi is also still young enough to develop some more and you're underselling him way too much and overselling prospects who are years away and may never pan out.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Gadjovich is stil a long ways away I think at this point you're counting your chickens before they hatch. Baertschi is also still young enough to develop some more and you're underselling him way too much and overselling prospects who are years away and may never pan out.

We need to see what we have with these younger players.  We know what we have with Baer.  If JB could get back the second he gave up for Baer, it's a trade he should make.  Then bring Goldy up.

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We need to see what we have with these younger players.  We know what we have with Baer.  If JB could get back the second he gave up for Baer, it's a trade he should make.  Then bring Goldy up.

You can see what we have without trading Baertschi, it's a trigger happy move that honestly makes zero sense. 

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

You can see what we have without trading Baertschi, it's a trigger happy move that honestly makes zero sense. 

I said before 2018 season's end.  That's when our younger guys will push Baer out anyway.  Why not get something for Baer?  I like Baer too, but a team that's close to a Cup (that has a top six injury) might give us a lot at one of the two coming TDLs for him.  

I said before 2018 season's end.  That's when our younger guys will push Baer out anyway.  Why not get something for Baer?  I like Baer too, but a team that's close to a Cup (that has a top six injury) might give us a lot at one of the two coming TDLs for him.  

Sorry Alf I don't see it, I'm all for giving the kids a shot but I can't get behind trading off a good player to make room for players who are likely 2-3 years or more from being ready. That is lunacy. 

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

I'd like to see Virtanen get some more ice as well.. but I dunno about splitting up the killer B's. 

Maybe with Granlund and Vanek, then put Loui back with the twins? Or go Virtanen-Granny-Loui . . . that could be a better "shutdown" line than Gaunce-Sutter-Dorsett with more offensive pop.

I had Jake pegged for Utica this year so I guess he's already surpassed expectations.. but eventually I'd like to see him get more than 10 min a night.

• Cheers 1

Just now, ilduce39 said:

I'd like to see Virtanen get some more ice as well.. but I dunno about splitting up the killer B's. 

Maybe with Granlund and Vanek, then put Loui back with the twins? Or go Virtanen-Granny-Loui . . . that could be a better "shutdown" line than Gaunce-Sutter-Dorsett with more offensive pop.

I had Jake pegged for Utica this year so I guess he's already surpassed expectations.. but eventually I'd like to see him get more than 10 min a night.

I'd be ok with those options too he's too much of a north-south player to work long term with the Sedins 

• Upvote 1

I think many fans overrate our prospects in the sense that they expect them all to become top 6 forwards. Statistically speaking, of Lind, Pettersson, Gadjovich, Goldobin, and Gaudette, probably only about two of them become top 6 forwards at best. From what I see, Goldobin is the closest to the NHL and Pettersson is insane in the SHL, so they would be my bets. Unless we defy the odds, it's unrealistic to expect all of those players to become top 9 players. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I think many fans overrate our prospects in the sense that they expect them all to become top 6 forwards. Statistically speaking, of Lind, Pettersson, Gadjovich, Goldobin, and Gaudette, probably only about two of them become top 6 forwards at best. From what I see, Goldobin is the closest to the NHL and Pettersson is insane in the SHL, so they would be my bets. Unless we defy the odds, it's unrealistic to expect all of those players to become top 9 players. 

So, how do we get more prospects to increase the chances of finding more top six guys?  Could it be by keeping our own picks, while also trading away vets to get even more picks?  This is the same old argument, just going around and around.  

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So, how do we get more prospects to increase the chances of finding more top six guys?  Could it be by keeping our own picks, while also trading away vets to get even more picks?  This is the same old argument, just going around and around.  

I think veteran leadership is vital during a rebuild, which is why I believe Benning has kept guys like Edler and the twins around. That said, if things work out well, our rebuild should be on the upswing in a year or two, meaning we could offload them then. But until our young guns are ready to carry the team to better places than a lottery pick, I think we need a few vets to help guide them. A team full of young guys with no experience gets you Edmonton circa 2008-2015.

Honestly, if two of those players listed pan out as top six, we are pretty well set to go with three players already proving themselves. If Granlund or another player stepped up, two more top six players from that selection would give us a complete top two lines. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I think veteran leadership is vital during a rebuild, which is why I believe Benning has kept guys like Edler and the twins around. That said, if things work out well, our rebuild should be on the upswing in a year or two, meaning we could offload them then. But until our young guns are ready to carry the team to better places than a lottery pick, I think we need a few vets to help guide them. A team full of young guys with no experience gets you Edmonton circa 2008-2015.

We have a lot of vets -AJ-.  My point is if JB would have focussed on keeping our picks, and adding too, we would have twice the number (or more) prospects we currently have.  You said we'd be doing well if our current group produced two top six forwards.  Having twice as many would give us four.  That's awesome!