The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Scratched for last night's game. Green really pushing him to be successful, and it's fair I think... he has talent but just doesn't fit the kind of player I think we want to consider a core guy.

It's frustrating to have players with talent but with less heart and to have players with heart but less talent. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2018 at 10:26 PM, 420since1974 said:

Sven has Arbitration Rights when his current RFA contract expires.

His injury is the silver lining in the clouds for the Canucks.

It may well help keep his next contract at a reasonable cost (under $3M per?).

Pretty much the same for Granlund.

I don't see Sven or Markus factoring into the future core of the team. 

On 09/02/2018 at 10:26 PM, 420since1974 said:

Sven has Arbitration Rights when his current RFA contract expires.

His injury is the silver lining in the clouds for the Canucks.

It may well help keep his next contract at a reasonable cost (under $3M per?).

Pretty much the same for Granlund.

I dont think granlund is close to being worth 3mill...

41 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't see Sven or Markus factoring into the future core of the team. 

I could see Granlund carve out a middle 6, complimentary 'utility' guy role as long as he doesn't go crazy with salary expectations. He's solid defensively, can play up the lineup offensively as a fill in, all three positions etc. But they're both clearly complimentary guys.

I think Baer likely prices himself out of the discussion (his offense is worth $) when guys on ELC's and/or better players start coming in from below.

32 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

I dont think granlund is close to being worth 3mill...

He's not, and he won't receive that, I'm pretty sure.  He might not be all that impressed though, because of course his stats are going to be lower given the role he has been asked to play.  He says he is fine playing that role, but I wonder how fine he will be when his contract offer is that of a 12-goal scorer.  I can see him being here for one more year, and then wanting to go elsewhere.

As far as their place on the team, I actually CAN see a use for Granlund in the bottom 6.  He is pretty sound defensively in his role, and he does have upside, plus the ability to move up and down the lineup.  But I think he will look at his stats from 2016-17 and expect to be put in a position where he can repeat or improve on those stats - which he won't likely be able to do here with our up and coming young guys.

Baertschi, on the other hand, is really a fairly talented player and he's improved his overall game since arriving for sure.  But I do think he's hit his ceiling, and we have young guys coming who will match that scoring, but also provide other things like grit and forechecking. I really see him being shipped out in favour of a forward who plays more like a Max Domi.  We may have such a guy in Lind, or maybe even Palmu, and maybe Domi himself might even be on the market.

I feel there is a decent chance Dahlen will be a top six player for us (if not top three), and would likely replace Baertschi's scoring and then some.  He too doesn't exactly play a particularly tough game either, so we certainly don't have room for two such players unless we want to have a totally soft team.  (Note: To be fair, Dahlen is not a perimeter player.  But he's not likely going to be a forceful forechecker either)

Edited by kloubek

1 hour ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

It's frustrating to have players with talent but with less heart and to have players with heart but less talent. 

WD compares Baer's passion for the game to Burrows'.  Green says that of all the players he had in Portland Baer was the one that loved the game the most and worked the hardest at it.  

Baer's issue seems to be more confidence.  The Sedins and Burrows talk of how creative he is when he is confident.  A couple of years back Henrik was explaining that when there is a 50/50 play and you are confident you'll go for it but if you aren't you'll hesitate and the play is either gone or you are too late to execute it successfully.  Right now it looks like he is hesitating so he's late on plays or doesn't dare make them.  

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Maybe it's just my biased view, but Baertschi looks like a player who plays hard when I watch him. He goes into the dirty corners to fetch pucks and isn't afraid to get in front of the net either. 

It was not an option not to in Portland and it's Green that taught Baer everything about playing North American style.  Oil Kings' Laxdal kept on lamenting in the finals that he was scoring right in the heart of the slot with their players all around him.    

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, kloubek said:

He too doesn't exactly play a particularly tough game either, so we certainly don't have room for two such players unless we want to have a totally soft team.  (Note: To be fair, Dahlen is not a perimeter player.  But he's not likely going to be a forceful forechecker either)

He's not a power forward, no. He is a relentless puck hound though. So while not necessarily 'bruising', he's a PITA to play against.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He's not a power forward, no. He is a relentless puck hound though. So while not necessarily 'bruising', he's a PITA to play against.

...which would be ok, if we didn't already have someone who plays the same way in Dahlen for the LW.  Pettersson isn't likely to crush anyone, and Boeser can hold his own better than most but while he's just as much of a hound as Baertschi (if not more), he isn't going to bring much heaviness to the top line either.  And that's ok - while not ideal, with the league moving to a skill and speed game I can no big deal that our future likely top line would be considered "soft" to most right now.  But if that's what our 1st line will be, I feel our 2nd line is best off countering that.  So if Dahlen, Pettersson, and Boeser as the first line as I predict, that makes the 2nd something like Domi/Kane Horvat Lind.. maybe.  That is a much more hard-nosed, gritty 2nd group there.

5 minutes ago, kloubek said:

...which would be ok, if we didn't already have someone who plays the same way in Dahlen for the LW.  Pettersson isn't likely to crush anyone, and Boeser can hold his own better than most but while he's just as much of a hound as Baertschi (if not more), he isn't going to bring much heaviness to the top line either.  And that's ok - while not ideal, with the league moving to a skill and speed game I can no big deal that our future likely top line would be considered "soft" to most right now.  But if that's what our 1st line will be, I feel our 2nd line is best off countering that.  So if Dahlen, Pettersson, and Boeser as the first line as I predict, that makes the 2nd something like Domi/Kane Horvat Lind.. maybe.  That is a much more hard-nosed, gritty 2nd group there.

Dahlen is who I was referring to...

I think Dahlen pairs nicely with Horvat on our eventual line 2 FWIW. A yet TBD LW needs to be found to play 1LW (Kane, Domi, Tkachuck etc)

Kane/Domi/Tkachuck, Pettersson, Boeser

Dahlen, Horvat, Lind/Virtanen

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I think Dahlen pairs nicely with Horvat on our eventual line 2 FWIW. A yet TBD LW needs to be found to play 1LW (Kane, Domi, Tkachuck etc)

Dahlen is having a nice season but Dorion is also a scout - he got the Senators to draft Karlsson.  He was asked about fans being upset about the trade and he told Le Droit that they did not trade anyone who they thought had the potential to be an impact player - he gave names like Chabot, White etc and talked of unnamed guys in the Q.  It looks like Benning is coming up on top but it's not the NHL.

2 minutes ago, mll said:

Dahlen is having a nice season but Dorion is also a scout - he got the Senators to draft Karlsson.  He was asked about fans being upset about the trade and he told Le Droit that they did not trade anyone who they thought had the potential to be an impact player - he gave names like Chabot, White etc and talked of unnamed guys in the Q.  It looks like Benning is coming up on top but it's not the NHL.

No way to settle that but time ;)

Our GM/scout (along with quite a few others) says Dahlen is a darn good prospect. Will that translate to the NHL? We'll find out :)

And he's had a couple 'nice seasons' FWIW.

Edited by aGENT

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

That would balance it out better, wouldn't it?

You really think Virtanen still has 2nd line potential?  I see him settling in as a 3rd liner.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

You really think Virtanen still has 2nd line potential?  I see him settling in as a 3rd liner.

Hansen, but bigger.  Great third liner, who could play up one the first two lines when needed.  That’s one very valuable player.

2 minutes ago, kloubek said:

Potential? Yes. Particularly as a complimentary guy (ie: not necessarily a 'legit 2nd liner on his own just as Burrows wasn't a 'legit' 1st liner etc).

But if I'm guessing, our RW depth is more likely to be Boeser, Lind, Virtanen (hence why I wrote: 'Lind/Virtanen'). Though I imagine those guys will end up moving up/down those spots when lines shuffle, injuries etc.