The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

that move tonight baer pulled infront of the philly net where everyone thought he was gonna cut infront of the philly defender but did a quick stick move and cut behind him all within five feet of the net and had a clear shot on net, was very impressive. not sure if u guys caught that but i sure did. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/13/2017 at 5:28 AM, linden17 said:

that move tonight baer pulled infront of the philly net where everyone thought he was gonna cut infront of the philly defender but did a quick stick move and cut behind him all within five feet of the net and had a clear shot on net, was very impressive. not sure if u guys caught that but i sure did. 

I did too! Put my on the edge of my seat for sure.

• Upvote 1

Some seriously slick moves from Sven vs the Panthers tonight. His fake pass to the point (I think) completely faked out the Panthers d-man and opened up a ton of ice for him. The fake slapper to Horvat would've been a goal if Horvat wasn't tied up. Also noticed he either got stronger or he's just buckling down more, he had nice run at Ekblad and spun him out completely which was impressive and he's definitely been finishing up his checks into the boards with a bit more umph. Made a really nice feed to Burr too. Guy just keeps getting better, just wish it was showing up on the scoreboard a bit more. 

13 minutes ago, nuck7635 said:

Some seriously slick moves from Sven vs the Panthers tonight. His fake pass to the point (I think) completely faked out the Panthers d-man and opened up a ton of ice for him. The fake slapper to Horvat would've been a goal if Horvat wasn't tied up. Also noticed he either got stronger or he's just buckling down more, he had nice run at Ekblad and spun him out completely which was impressive and he's definitely been finishing up his checks into the boards with a bit more umph. Made a really nice feed to Burr too. Guy just keeps getting better, just wish it was showing up on the scoreboard a bit more. 

which is why we need to protect Bäer for expansion draft. if we lose him to vegas i'd lose it. he's too good to be lost 

11 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

which is why we need to protect Bäer for expansion draft. if we lose him to vegas i'd lose it. he's too good to be lost 

Agreed. His ceiling is higher than Granny's and he's better atm, making him more valuable.

Baertschi passes a bunch with his two goals tonight.

125.  Robert Kron RW 144 24 33 57
126.  Sven Baertschi LW 118 30 26 56
127.  Brad May LW 225 29 27 56
128.  Harold Druken C 118 27 29 56
129.  Mike Corrigan RW 95 24 32 56
130.  Anson Carter RW 81 33 22 55
131.  Peter McNab C 88 24 31 55
132.  J.J. Daigneault D 131 9 46 55
  • Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Wow, you're dedicated and I really appreciate it sir!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Western Red said:

Wow, you're dedicated and I really appreciate it sir!

Thanks.  Now that the spread sheet is all set up it actually doesn't take much time to enter the stats for a game.  10 minutes tops, which I enjoy as a bit of a wind down activity.  Used to do stats for a hockey pool but all the online pools out there render that service moot so this is my stat nerd outlet :P

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:36 PM, ajhockey said:

Agreed. His ceiling is higher than Granny's and he's better atm, making him more valuable.

One of the main reasons we are now in a playoff position is the fact that we are actually getting balanced scoring.  We are still not remotely a scoring machine, but I think it is essential that we keep these players who are balancing the scoring if the Sedins and Eriksson aren't going to produce as well as expected.  This includes BOTH Granlund and Baertschi - especially at the pace they are both progressing.

I know we have no choice but to expose players we would rather not, but I'm hoping Benning weaves his magic to keep both.

Edited by kloubek

12 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Nice one...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just now, Kaner said:

Not sure why, but I get the same feeling about Sven as I did about McCann. For some reason, I feel he's not in the clubs long term plans. 

I agree with you.  I think .Sven and Granlund are competing for the same spot, and one gets exposed to Vegas.  It looks like Baer will be the odd man out.  Nice guy though.  I really like him.

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Classic tweener...

Not enough skill to be elite 2nd liner.....  Not enough grit to play bottom six...

He needs to go full Burrows and learn to do whatever it takes to stick in the NHL. 

Sharpen your chompers Sven.  :lol:

With Baer's skill, if he played with Burr's edge, we would have one heck of a player.

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Sharpen your chompers Sven.  :lol:

With Baer's skill, if he played with Burr's edge, we would have one heck of a player.

Yup.  I actually think Granlund might actually stick as a  solid 2 way third line player......

Yup we need mongrel out of Sven.  He should be rooming with Burrows.   Show him how to stick in the show.

2 hours ago, Kaner said:

Not sure why, but I get the same feeling about Sven as I did about McCann. For some reason, I feel he's not in the clubs long term plans. 

Disagree, but in a good way.  Your comment is fair.  However, I think they like Baertschi, Horvat, Granlund, and on D Stecher, Tryamkin, Hutton and Guddy all for the long term.  This is frankly a bonus because as Linden said 2 years ago, the real growth of this team is coming from the draft.  This is still true but Benning has been able to find some keepers from the place holders that I think were expected.  Obviously, some of these guys were drafted by the Canucks.

These guys will be the middle 6 or bottom 4 of the new team.  None of them besides Horvat (and maybe a surprise or 2 from the others) are going to be top line or top pair.  And the good news is that they didn't cost much, the Canucks didn't have much to pay when these guys were acquired.

• Upvote 1