The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sven Baertschi | LW

snizzle_

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Baertschi fits the "rebuild". He's at the age where he will still be in his prime when this team should turn it around. If we are moving him, it will be for a dman of around the same age and quality or a forward with attributes (eg size) that we are lacking. I don't see him as a player we would be moving to acquire more picks and prospects. We aren't in an eternal rebuild.

I'd much sooner trade Goldobin for another prospect or pick before Baertschi if we are looking to free up space on the LW.

Agree, though trading Goldy would be a bit of a gamble that he won't continue to improve. He's doing a smidge better this year than last year, so he may yet make the transition to the big leagues.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, we'll have to see who has LW's expiring etc (or a present need) and no one in their prospect pools to replace them (or not wanting to wait/gamble)

But yeah, late 1st you get guys like Goldobin. If a contender has a present need at LW, they're not going to gamble wait on a guy who's likely 2-4 years out and a maybe IMO. They'll gladly move a late 1st for a guy like Baer with legit NHL creds and similar ceiling.

I can not see any team paying a late 1st for baertschi. When we acquired he he was a struggling 22 year old with top line potential. Canucks were the only team in the league that offered a 2nd round pick. 

Now he’s 25 and we know what he is more or less. His point per game is decent but he injuries show you can’t expect him to play 82 games 

marcus Johansen was traded this summer as a 26 year old. He’s had five 40+ point season, one of those being a 58 point season. And he couldn’t fetch a 1st round pick. It’s a pipe dream to think someone less proven would. 

7 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I can not see any team paying a late 1st for baertschi. When we acquired he he was a struggling 22 year old with top line potential. Canucks were the only team in the league that offered a 2nd round pick. 

Now he’s 25 and we know what he is more or less. His point per game is decent but he injuries show you can’t expect him to play 82 games 

marcus Johansen was traded this summer as a 26 year old. He’s had five 40+ point season, one of those being a 58 point season. And he couldn’t fetch a 1st round pick. It’s a pipe dream to think someone less proven would. 

Hard to say. If I was a contender, I'd trade an 18 year old Goldobin for Baer if I had a need at LW. That's basically what a late 1st is, a 3+ year wait for 'potential'. But I don't think the value's that that far off  a late 1st, a 2nd + etc regardless.

I'd prefer to see him packaged with say Hutton or MDZ if we do end up moving him.

Edited by aGENT

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hard to say. If I was a contender, I'd trade an 18 year old Goldobin for Baer if I had a need at LW. That's basically what a late 1st is, a 3+ year wait for 'potential'. But I don't think the value's that that far off  a late 1st, a 2nd + etc regardless.

players like Baer are filled throughout the league. You can find a comparable every year in UFA. Middle six wingers don’t hold a lot of value in this lead. Not ones that are failrly one dimensional and unproven. If i were a contending team I wouldn’t give up 1st round picknwith potential for someone who hasn’t been able to put a good full season together. 

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd prefer to see him packaged with say Hutton or MDZ if we do end up moving him.

That tends to be where they go. Look at spooner. He was basically a throw in. 

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Agree, though trading Goldy would be a bit of a gamble that he won't continue to improve. He's doing a smidge better this year than last year, so he may yet make the transition to the big leagues.

I don't disagree, but of the LW options available to us and if we are overloaded on that wing (Baertschi, Dahlen, Leipsic, Gadjovich and maybe Pettersson and Lind and others that I can't think of off the top of my head), then I deem Goldobin to be the most expendable (with value) given that he likely won't factor in defensively and he likely won't produce much better than Baertschi, who has been okay defensively and isn't afraid to engage in the physical game as well. This is with the perception that I believe Goldobin has max 2nd line offensive potential and cannot play a bottom 6 role, so he can only factor into one spot in the lineup.

I suppose he could play RW too, but then there is Boeser, Virtanen (who I think should/could play LW), Motte, Lockwood, etc.)

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The only sticking point I have for this is that he took a bad puck to the face this year. He still might've have minor knocks that don't allow him to play a full season, but I don't think his injuries should be of a concern to anyone just yet.

Losing Baertschi definitely hurts our 6th ranked power play. He's been a key cog in our second unit.
Can't help but feel like we acquired Leipsic at the perfect time, giving Boeser and Horvat another guy to play with. 

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, rekker said:

Hmm. Maybe a little Bearschi love is in order. We miss his offence. I think Bo misses him as well on his wing . 

I would agree. He doesn't carry the team, but he's a pretty big source of secondary scoring for us.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I would agree. He doesn't carry the team, but he's a pretty big source of secondary scoring for us.

Baer is scoring at a top 6 rate. I misses more games than I like but his game has matured a lot in 2 years. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Baer is scoring at a top 6 rate. I misses more games than I like but his game has matured a lot in 2 years. 

What I like is that he will learn from lessons, and shows it pretty quickly. Definitely a 2nd line type. I'd like to see if a line of Baer-Guadette-Virt could do something next year.

I think Baer is a pretty reliable 2nd liner. I see no reason to want to trade him at worse you move him to the third line if need be.

I think that the NHL is trending more to 3 scoring lines and a checking line now anyways. Instead of the traditional 2 scoring 1 checking 1 beat you up lines, so having to put him on the 3rd is a good thing if we have six player better then him.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, thrago said:

I think Baer is a pretty reliable 2nd liner. I see no reason to want to trade him at worse you move him to the third line if need be.

I think that the NHL is trending more to 3 scoring lines and a checking line now anyways. Instead of the traditional 2 scoring 1 checking 1 beat you up lines, so having to put him on the 3rd is a good thing if we have six player better then him.

Absolutely. Having players the quality of Baer on the third line is a sign of a really deep team. About the only way to afford that is to develop a lot of your own players, so you have enough cheap young talent to keep under the salary cap.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure why ? but is there a reason the guys on 650 this morning keep going on about utilizing Baertschi in a trade if the team see's no future here long term for him ?

Benning brought him in, he is one of the closer to top six forwards the team has and won't have a huge burden on the team in terms of cap. Why would they deal him away, they need his offense.

Secondarily suggesting they should keep him if they decide to move Goldobin ? another player Benning brought in who yes needs to further develop his game but brings OFFENSE and is only 22 years old.

Sven was a relatively high first round pick and his his D+1 year had arguably one of the top 5 CHL statistical years over the past 20 years.   He is only 25 years old after having his development stall in Calgary (after a very promising start), he has put up three seasons which would average, over an 82 game season, to 21 goals and 19 assists and 40 points.   While this isn't setting the world on fire it is pretty solid and within most any team's top 6 and given he has been on such a low scoring team, is suppressed pretty significantly.   

He is fast, plays in dirty areas (most of his goals indicate that) and defensively responsible (even being a positive player through 53 games this year).   

Unless you are trading for another top six player or a pretty high pick, not sure you want to move this player.   If someone like Goldy comes and demonstrates he can do this and more, great but that day has not yet come.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Not sure why ? but is there a reason the guys on 650 this morning keep going on about utilizing Baertschi in a trade if the team see's no future here long term for him ?

Benning brought him in, he is one of the closer to top six forwards the team has and won't have a huge burden on the team in terms of cap. Why would they deal him away, they need his offense.

Secondarily suggesting they should keep him if they decide to move Goldobin ? another player Benning brought in who yes needs to further develop his game but brings OFFENSE and is only 22 years old.

Not saying we should 100% trade him but there are certainly reasons to explore it.

-He's due a raise, could that money be better spent elsewhere?

-He's certainly more proven but his skill set is touch redundant with prospects we have coming up.

-He's on the upper end of age range to the next core and will be approaching 30 by the time we're likely contending again. AKA, is he a long term fit?

-He's one of the few pieces we have with some tangible trade value.

There's also the question of whether management signs a guy like Kane this summer. They're similar age but Kane offers a skill set that, unlike Baer's, is utterly devoid from our team or prospect pool. Maybe that's a case of 'money better spent elsewhere'. All while getting trade value out of him to continue to foster the rebuild. Or maybe his value is in a package that gets another piece we need more?

I'm perfectly fine with having him on the team next year but all options should and will likely be explored.