The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

agree

Jensen may challenge for a spot next year, and may make it, especially with the cap coming down.

Manny, Lappy, Higgins, RayRay will all be UFAs, I only really care if Lappy returns, the others not so much

Higgens and Raymond should be back. I dont see how the Canucks wouldn't want to have them.

To the above two posts, the left wing spot may be a little crowded. With Burrows playing right wing, it alleviates some of that roster pressure, but if Jensen does compete for the team next year then we're looking at Booth, Higgins, Burrows and one of our 4th liners competing for roster spots again. Even with Booth coming back from injury it pushes people down the depth chart and we'll see people who've played well for us sitting as a result.

Pending a goalie trade, Lack might also be an option next year on the team. Elsewhere, Corrado may challenge again and Connauton might be necessary just from a cap perspective. Kassian's already a part of the team and Schroeder is for now at least.

That's a fair amount of players getting a chance even at training camp, and Gaunce may be included but I think he'll have every opportunity to be a star in the OHL before he makes the jump to pro. He'll be someone who gets a look next year at the World Juniors and have an opportunity to be a part of a team that could be involved in the CHL playoffs again. Those are all good experiences for a young player, looked to for leadership and who'd like to further develop his offensive abilities.

• Upvote 1

Gaunce had an assist and a +2 rating yesterday for Belleville in a 4-1 win over the Kingston Frontenacs.

The Bulls just keep on rolling. I think we may be looking at a serious Memorial Cup run for Gaunce, folks. This is a damn good team he's on, especially with the improvements they made.

Just wanted to say that Gaunce has 24 goals in 46 games so far, and last season he had 28 goals in 68 games. So he has almost eclipsed his goal total from last year in 20 less games.

And:

Since injury: 35 games, 20 goals and 15 assists, 35 points.

Since the trades: 16 games, 11 goals and 9 assists, 20 points.

Looks like Gaunce is doing pretty good this year.

• Upvote 1

I'm getting tired of these MASSIVE landslides from the Bulls and Gaunce collecting 1 point. End of second 7-4 bulls... Gaunce 1 goal. Graovac 4 points.

Graovac isn't on Gaunces line though, it's Zharkov and another kid. We need to remember that Gaunce is playing the Kesler role for Belleville. He's being the shutdown #2C and moving the puck into the offensive zone and allowing Quine and Graovacs line to beast there. He gets PP time too and he's still scoring so Im satisfied.

I'm getting tired of these MASSIVE landslides from the Bulls and Gaunce collecting 1 point. End of second 7-4 bulls... Gaunce 1 goal. Graovac 4 points.

Exactly what I was just thinking. The good news, though, is that it appears that Gaunce is the Bulls' go-to defensive guy. He'll take a bunch of defensive zone faceoffs and anchor the PK. I actually have faith in his offensive abilities, that they'll shine through in the pros. What I'm enjoying seeing is the growth of his defensive game. It gives me the feeling that he's at least a lock to be the team's 3rd line centre of the future, and a very, very good one at that.

I'd like to go on record that I think he can be better than a 3rd line centre in the pros. He has the basic offensive tools, like his shot, vision and ability to protect the puck with his size and make the play. Those kind of tools will allow you to create offense in the NHL, regardless of if you rip up juniors or not. That's what I believe anyway.

I'd like to go on record that I think he can be better than a 3rd line centre in the pros. He has the basic offensive tools, like his shot, vision and ability to protect the puck with his size and make the play. Those kind of tools will allow you to create offense in the NHL, regardless of if you rip up juniors or not. That's what I believe anyway.

1st line center is a bit of a high ceiling for him, but 2nd line isn't out of reach. He certainly seems like he'll at least be a very good top 9 guy but does have a higher ceiling if he continues his development.

I love the fact that he's already got a defensive game dialed and is a good face off man this early. If av is still behind the bench when he comes up he should have a better chance of sticking early.

Edited by thad