The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

I think the beauty of this pick was that Gaunce was such a sure bet to make it in the NHL which is not something that can be said for quite a few late 1st round picks. My question however is about his ceiling.

Do you guys envision Gaunce as a 2nd or 3rd line center in the NHL?

To me he seems to be the very defensibly responsible, smart player that coaches love for the third line role. On the other hand however, the exact same thing was said of Kesler when he got drafted and then Sundin came along and taught him how to be an offensive beast.

So what do you guys think?

I think the beauty of this pick was that Gaunce was such a sure bet to make it in the NHL which is not something that can be said for quite a few late 1st round picks. My question however is about his ceiling.

To me he seems to be the very defensibly responsible, smart player that coaches love for the third line role. On the other hand however, the exact same thing was said of Kesler when he got drafted and then Sundin came along and taught him how to be an offensive beast.

I would like to think his ceiling is Jordan stall right now. that's hopeful though

I haven't personally seen Guance play. However, projecting him to be in the realm of a top-5 pick like Jordan Staal seems a bit optimistic. Not saying it couldn't happen (as it happens occasionally, like with Kesler), but it's a helluva long shot.

Staal (and Kesler) are basically good 1st-line centers, that if on a team that already has an elite center, excellent 2nd-line centers. (For a while, Staal played on one of the only team in the league that had TWO elite centers, making him the absolute best 3rd-line center out there).

I'd look at Guance to be a step down from that. More of a good 2nd-line center, that can be an excellent 3rd-line center if the team already has 2 great centers. Think of a less douchey version of Dave Bolland. That would be success for Brendan.

I think he has the offensive IQ, and uses his size well enough (Protects the puck and uses his size kinda like Kassian) To become a realy useful 2nd line center, as for his potential.

Absolute Ceiling: Jordan Staal

The Absolute Floor (if he makes the NHL): Dave Steckel

More likely comparables (IMO): Ryan O'Rielly, Shawn Horcoff (in his prime), Brooks Laich, Martin Hanzal

I think he will surprise people with the offensive ability that he has (could score 20+ goals and 50+ points consistently IMO), but will be more noted for his defensive ability, leadership, character and having all the assets that come with having that type of size.

The most accurate comparisons are probably O'Rielly and Laich.

Well, one of the initial comparisons I found was of Brenden Morrow, which I think makes sense. Gaunce is a little bigger than Morrow, but both are great leaders and contribute a lot to their teams that way. He will likely have some pretty good seasons of point production (Morrow had two great seasons of 74 and 65, but otherwise he was a 40-50 point guy), but will be most useful due to his all around game.

If his offence continues to develop, it's possible he even gets to a 1st line center role, but more likely a 2nd line center who's very capable on the 3rd or 4th.

Gaunce was a +1 in a 3-1 win over the London Knights, the OHL's top team, last night. That puts the Bulls at 3rd overall and 2nd in the East.

Edited by elvis15

Guest Gumballthechewy

I'm not sure how Brendan Gaunce managed to go pointless in an 8-2 drubbing but he did.

Detroit prospect Allan Quine had 1g 5a.

Because he's such a nice guy he's trying to boost his teammates stats! :lol:

Guest Gumballthechewy

A mid-round Red Wings draft pick exceeding expectations and looking like a steal? No way!

This made me laugh and then I did this: :P

Man, between guys like Jensen, Corrado, Tommernes, Gaunce and Kassian + all of the other solid prospects I didn't name, our future isn't looking too bleak. Our major needs over the next 10 years will be to draft a #1 center man and or #1 dman but that's every teams needs too, Im sure well do alright.

Worst case scenario, if we can't draft one, we can always attempt to buy one through free agency. Gillis just has to continue to make this an attractive team to play for.

Before I get flamed...I know ideally you build through the draft but when you're consistently picking late, short of fluking on hidden gems (ala Detroit), we may have to step out and buy a guy here or there to fill in the odd top level spot.

I'm quite curious what our team's going to look like in say 3+ years. By then the twins (if they haven't retired back to Sweden) will likely regress to our (very good) second line. Does that make Kesler our 1C? Does that put Gaunce at 3C? Everybody keeps lining up Jensen/Guance/Kassian but I think that's likely 5+ years off (Kesler would need to retire/be demoted back to 2C/3C).

I think it's far more likely in 2-3 years we see something like:

Booth/Jensen, Kesler, Kassian

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows?

Booth/Jensen, Gaunce, ???

You also have to wonder where this leaves Schroeder...? Moved to Guance's wing...?

Edited by J.R.

Worst case scenario, if we can't draft one, we can always attempt to buy one through free agency. Gillis just has to continue to make this an attractive team to play for.

Before I get flamed...I know ideally you build through the draft but when you're consistently picking late, short of fluking on hidden gems (ala Detroit), we may have to step out and buy a guy here or there to fill in the odd top level spot.

I'm quite curious what our team's going to look like in say 3+ years. By then the twins (if they haven't retired back to Sweden) will likely regress to our (very good) second line. Does that make Kesler our 1C? Does that put Gaunce at 3C? Everybody keeps lining up Jensen/Guance/Kassian but I think that's likely 5+ years off (Kesler would need to retire/be demoted back to 2C/3C).

I think it's far more likely in 2-3 years we see something like:

Booth/Jensen, Kesler, Kassian

Sedin, Sedin, Burrows?

Booth/Jensen, Gaunce, ???

You also have to wonder where this leaves Schroeder...? Moved to Guance's wing...?

its easier for gaunce to.move to wing than schroeder