The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Gaunce | C/LW

b3.

10 minutes ago, Derp... said:

I think the positive is the Canucks believe Gauncer has more to give than what he's shown so far. That's why they sent him down to get his confidence up. If he can come in and grab a spot on the team right away next year I hope it's on a third line where he can get a few more minutes. Either that or just play with some slightly better linemates. 

If he starts producing at 1.25 ppg in the AHL do you think he could get picked up in the expansion draft? I doubt it, but you never know.

I am hoping that Benning makes a deal with Vegas on a player so that whoever is chosen is one that the team can afford to lose.

According to Ryan Biech from Twitter, Travis Green said Gaunce will be back just in time for tomorrow's clash vs the Pens. Great to see him rewarded for his great play over the back to back to back they had played this weekend. Hopefully they put him in a more offensive role and potentially play in Horvat's spot since we don't want to rush him from his bruise

• Upvote 1

I wasn't able to see the game today because of work, but I'm curious to know what people thought of Gaunce. I read some positive comments about him on Twitter after the first period but beyond that it seemed like there was nothing good to say about anybody on the team as it went downhill from there. He got way more ice time that he's ever gotten though, and looks like he racked up a few shots and hits. Observations?

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I caught only the 3rd period but he was battling hard for the puck, causing turnovers, etc.

The effort level is definitely there (something he was a bit criticized for in jr). 

Only caught the 3rd too but that performance won't keep him in the league, as unnoticeable as he was before. Gaunce needs to start doing things that aren't open for interpretation and that are of tangible benifit. to his team, something that shows up on the stat sheet. Gaunce needs RESULTS not potential, he needs to stop LOOKING good and DO something good.....Something "Real Good" to keep his NHL chances afloat. He needs to shine out , Big hit, Fight, Goal, Slick pass, MAKE A PLAY (Dumping the puck in on a line change have checked the other teams 4th line and not made any previous defensive errors does not count.)

On 2/11/2017 at 9:52 PM, Jonald said:

Would love Bo to hook him up with his skating coach, and hopefully he sees himself as something more than a 4th line centre and plays like it once hes back with the big club whether its this season or the next.

How about giving him a few shifts on Bo's wing,with Daniel on the other?

If there is any offensive game in there that will bring it out, this guy is our 1st rounder we should do things like that for our 1sts

Just now, terrible.dee said:

Only caught the 3rd too but that performance won't keep him in the league, as unnoticeable as he was before. Gaunce needs to start doing things that aren't open for interpretation and that are of tangible benifit. to his team, something that shows up on the stat sheet. Gaunce needs RESULTS not potential, he needs to stop LOOKING good and DO something good.....Something "Real Good" to keep his NHL chances afloat. He needs to shine out , Big hit, Fight, Goal, Slick pass, MAKE A PLAY (Dumping the puck in on a line change have checked the other teams 4th line and not made any previous defensive errors does not count.)

He does finish his hits, he's defensively reliable, he battles hard for the puck... that is how he will stick in the NHL.  Scoring a goal, but being a liability, playing soft and disappearing on the ice will mean a quick ticket back down to Utica. 

Everyone wants Gaunce to put up points and to keep up what he's doing, but it just seems that he's not getting any puck luck.  In other games, you see him buzzing around the net, getting some shots off and maybe almost deflecting pucks in.... he's getting almost at least 1 chance per game. 

I wish the coaching staff could just put him in with some more skilled players to see what he can do.  Perhaps a game where he's allowed to play on the Horvat or Sutter line.  Good players create chances, but expecting a rookie to be driving offence on the 4th line may be asking a bit too much. 

• Upvote 3

If I had a guess I'd say he'll probably take a few more years before he breaks out for 30 points. Just playing defensively sound right now, getting the hang of the NHL. Once he's more established he'll start taking more chances and generating more offence.

On 2/15/2017 at 2:31 AM, The 5th Line said:

I saw more offensive instincts out of him tonight than I have in the previous 45 games combined, which really isn't saying much at all because he didn't even register a point and maybe it's just the fact that he got more ice time than usual.  But yes I agree with you for the most part, he has been the prototypical 4th line guy who shows up, plays good defense, works hard, eats up minutes and plays a boring ass style.  I hope this isn't a trend with Travis Green, sending us prospects with little to no offensive flare whatsoever. 

LOL. You're so critical in almost every post. Gaunce will be okay. Would be happy if he becomes third line center that can pot 30 points a season. Late first round pick in a pretty weak draft. Great character, great shutdown skills, probably going to play tough minutes, and going to be a great leader someday. 

25 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I know he will be okay.  I'm being critical of his offensive game because he has 1 goal in 68 games and hasn't shown me much of anything in terms of offensive upside.. Third liner who can pot 30 points a season and be a good guy to have in the dressing room?  I'm down with that 

Could end up being a late bloomer in terms of developing his offense. Some players need more time adjusting than others in terms of offense I suppose. Being a two-way player first adds on to that fact.

He has great intangibles for a bottom 6 player and someone you'd want as a part of your next core. I am not worried about Gaunce, more so Jake. Gaunce has already put most of it together while Jake is a big question mark in that regards.

Patience can be annoying sometimes.

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

I know he will be okay.  I'm being critical of his offensive game because he has 1 goal in 68 games and hasn't shown me much of anything in terms of offensive upside.. Third liner who can pot 30 points a season and be a good guy to have in the dressing room?  I'm down with that 

Yes, 1 goal in 68 games is pretty bad offensively for sure. To me it's just not really something I worry too much about since he's a young defensive forward that we both know is still developing. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as he's showing well defensively, that's all that matters because everything else will come along eventually. Nice to see he's doing well offensively in Utica though. 

Now, if you've drafted a goal scorer that doesn't score... (I know a name just popped into your head, and something tells me I know who it is... :bigblush:

• Upvote 1

On 2/14/2017 at 11:26 PM, terrible.dee said:

How about giving him a few shifts on Bo's wing,with Daniel on the other?

If there is any offensive game in there that will bring it out, this guy is our 1st rounder we should do things like that for our 1sts

Maybe try that in training camp next year. Gotta try to win games now and that's not gonna help.

• Upvote 1

I'm not sure he'll even be a 3rd line guy that puts up 30 points a year, but he definitely seems like a safe bet to be a reliable 4th liner for a good number of years.

If he can keep playing his sound game and start putting up 15-20 points a year I will be happy with what we got out of him.  The kid works hard enough and gets enough chances that he should be able to achieve that.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, hatedkid666 said:

Best Corsi on the team play this guy on a line with finishers already

Yeah, I don't get why Megna has everything handed to him on a platter and Gaunce continually gets well under ten minutes a night (with the exception of the game Horvat and Sutter missed). I think he'd look good on Sutter's wing. If he can at least get 10:00 or more per night, some of those chances are going to start going in for him.

Its just his luck that WD seems to have abandoned the "roll four lines" mantra in the season that he finally makes the regular lineup.

• Upvote 1

On February 21, 2017 at 0:16 AM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Yeah, I don't get why Megna has everything handed to him on a platter and Gaunce continually gets well under ten minutes a night (with the exception of the game Horvat and Sutter missed). I think he'd look good on Sutter's wing. If he can at least get 10:00 or more per night, some of those chances are going to start going in for him.

Its just his luck that WD seems to have abandoned the "roll four lines" mantra in the season that he finally makes the regular lineup.

WD doesn't have the talent at his disposal to ice a 1st line. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/16/2017 at 1:37 AM, The 5th Line said:

And what do we have to compare this with? His previous seasons? He's a rookie still pretty much and, unlike some other players, he doesn't have to rely on his offensive upside to stay in this league. Would it be nice to see more goals? Of course it would, but I think being so critical of him at this stage is like holding your microscope up to a cocoon when it was just made and expecting it to turn into a butterfly overnight....

12 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

I'd like to see him at least squeeze a drop of jelly from that donut of his before the season is over. That's gotta be embarrassing for him.

Meh he is playing really well. He has been very sneaky good at making the safe play and getting the play moving north then its off the ice. He's like a young Malhotra without the face-off prowess. I fully expect next year to be a breakout for him and I don't mean that he will score 20 but that he might play 20 in games we are leading by a goal. 

• Upvote 2