The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Suckers. You don't build by drafting. You build on the Lego blocks you are given. Scorevat may be the best draft choice we have had.

Not saying he is bure, but it seems that (edit) when you build the foundation, the top rung follows suit.

Edited by StraightFlush

Hansen makes Horvat look slow. I wonder if Hansen is the best linemate for Horvat, yeah they have been good but I think with guys like Kassian, Matthias and Richardson is where Horvat would look at his best because of the boardplay.

Guest Dasein

Hansen makes Horvat look slow. I wonder if Hansen is the best linemate for Horvat, yeah they have been good but I think with guys like Kassian, Matthias and Richardson is where Horvat would look at his best because of the boardplay.

So does Kenins, and they work great

Horvat needs speedy wingers to retrieve pucks imo, and Hansen is pretty good along the boards (as is Kenins)

I don't think anyone ever doubted Horvat was going to find his way, and become a good player for us.

The problem I had, and many others, is that we only got 1 pick back for Schneider. It has nothing to do about the player but the fact that all Gillis could muster was one pick. In hindsight, if horvat becomes a bergeron or toews player everyone will love the trade, but in a pure asset management perspective.. we didn't maximize Schneider's value.

I don't think anyone ever doubted Horvat was going to find his way, and become a good player for us.

The problem I had, and many others, is that we only got 1 pick back for Schneider. It has nothing to do about the player but the fact that all Gillis could muster was one pick. In hindsight, if horvat becomes a bergeron or toews player everyone will love the trade, but in a pure asset management perspective.. we didn't maximize Schneider's value.

ya id say that is a pretty fair assessment of the trade situation. In retrospect schneids probably shouldve been jettisoned at the 2011 deadline like hodgson in order to maximize his value.

With that being said with the way this team drafted at that period of time im not sure an extra draft pick used on the likes of a honzik or mallet wouldve made an iota of difference to this organization going forward. At least we got the extra first in a very very deep draft.

Been waiting awhile to point out this stat :

A close comparison to Bo's first season would be Seguin when he was a rookie.

Seguin:

74GP,11G,11A, 22P with 12:13 of TOI(PP time,3 points on PP)

Horvat:

57GP,13G,10A, 23P with 11:52 of TOI.

Now im not saying Bo will have better than Seguin numbers for the rest his career(even though I would not doubt it), this was the closet comparison between two high draft pick rookies playing 4th line time and succeeding. Bo has just been a beast.

Edited by Blueberries
  • Upvote 1

A close comparison to Bo's first season would be Seguin when he was 19 and a rookie.

Seguin:

Horvat:

Now im not saying Bo will have better than Seguin numbers for the rest his career(even though I would not doubt it), this was the closet comparison between two high draft pick rookies playing 4th line time and succeeding. Bo has just been a beast.

Horvat has less assists. That's means low hockey IQ. That's what Craig Button and his superior scouting would say.

"One" pick that just happened to be 9th overall in a very strong draft. You can't just count the number of pieces they got back without factoring the value of the piece. How often do top 10 picks get traded, let alone for goalies?

Last one I can think of was in 2011 when Jeff Carter returned the 8th pick + Jake Voracek. Considering the 9th pick in 2013 would have been quite a bit more valuable than 8th in 2011, the difference in value returned for a 30-40 goal scoring forward (a much more valuable commodity) vs a potential-loaded-but-unproven-as-a-#1-goalie is slightly less than a pre-breakout Voracek. That seems about right to me tbh.

Edited by uselessstats

Guest Dasein

A close comparison to Bo's first season would be Seguin when he was 19 and a rookie.

Seguin:

Horvat:

Numbers wise strictly, I would doubt it. There's no way... Career wise? Who knows - Bo could go on to have a better career, as numbers alone don't make a career

And those numbers you posted are actually from when Seguin was 18 and a rookie (made it straight out of the draft)

Seguin's 19-yr-old campaign - 81GP 29G 38A 67P with 16:56 TOI

Edited by Dasein

Guest Dasein

Not to mention, these two are nothing alike in terms of playing style

Seguin has elite vision and shot as well as game-breaking speed and acceleration

Horvat is strong on faceoffs, strong along the boards (hell he's strong everywhere) and plays a solid two-way game

The only way Horvat has better career numbers than Seguin when all is said and done is if Seguin has a career-ending injury/event that cuts his NHL career short and/or Horvat centers to a very elite offensive winger for the rest of his career

Guest Dasein

He really needs to be 2C, Bonino has been putrid lately, the goal today aside he was awful

Bones played the most minutes (19+), with Henrik being next up (18+) then Bo (15+)

So Bo's really playing what most 2Cs in this league would be playing with the way WD rolls his lines