The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Bones played the most minutes (19+), with Henrik being next up (18+) then Bo (15+)

So Bo's really playing what most 2Cs in this league would be playing with the way WD rolls his lines

Yeah but I would like to see bo play with some more offensively oriented players. Hansen and Kenins are great grinders but we don't want Bo to grow up to be a grinder

Numbers wise strictly, I would doubt it. There's no way... Career wise? Who knows - Bo could go on to have a better career, as numbers alone don't make a career

And those numbers you posted are actually from when Seguin was 18 and a rookie (made it straight out of the draft)

Seguin's 19-yr-old campaign - 81GP 29G 38A 67P with 16:56 TOI

Yah I forgot to add that Seguin didn't go back to O for one season like Bo. Also when I said I would not doubt it, I said that because Bo has been improving a ton this year and the ceiling is super high. Odds of him having better numbers? 0.1% yet I wouldn't doubt him, he has shown everyone he can play at a high level and produce.

Guest Dasein

Yeah but I would like to see bo play with some more offensively oriented players. Hansen and Kenins are great grinders but we don't want Bo to grow up to be a grinder

Nothing wrong with grinding it out in your 1st year. Have some patience

Guest Dasein

Horvat was/is playing with Hands free Hansen and Don't shoot Dorsett, still got Handless a hattie.

To be fair, in his rookie season (age 18), Seguin was constantly scratched and played mostly with 3rd/4th line grinders too. You think Hansen and Dorsett don't have hands? You should see Shawn Thornton...

Edited by Dasein

Guest Dasein

Yah I forgot to add that Seguin didn't go back to O for one season like Bo. Also when I said I would not doubt it, I said that because Bo has been improving a ton this year and the ceiling is super high. Odds of him having better numbers? 0.1% yet I wouldn't doubt him, he has shown everyone he can play at a high level and produce.

No that's not what you "forgot" to add.. it's not something you add because it changes the whole complexity of the comparison you are making because Horvat is 1 year older than Seguin in his rookie season. IMO "neglecting" to add that crucial fact pretty much makes the comparison useless since they were not the same age

Bo has been improving a lot, but please realize that he will never reach Seguin's level offensively

I love Horvat and I am very glad we have him, but these two are completely different players

i honestly think if given the same minutes as monahan gets in calgary, he can definitely match his numbers. sky is the limit

Maybe if he has playmakers like Hudler and Gaudreau. Doubt it though. Horvat is still young. Till the Sedins are around we won't know what his ceiling is offensively.

No that's not what you "forgot" to add.. it's not something you add because it changes the whole complexity of the comparison you are making because Horvat is 1 year older than Seguin in his rookie season. IMO "neglecting" to add that crucial fact pretty much makes the comparison useless since they were not the same age

Bo has been improving a lot, but please realize that he will never reach Seguin's level offensively

I love Horvat and I am very glad we have him, but these two are completely different players

Horvat had one more year to prepare which makes a ton of difference, but this is still his 1st season the year he tries to get a job and become a NHLer. Let's not take anything away from this kid, he's an actual prospect who can turn into a good NHLer, when was the last we had one of those?

Been waiting awhile to point out this stat :

A close comparison to Bo's first season would be Seguin when he was a rookie.

Seguin:

74GP,11G,11A, 22P with 12:13 of TOI(PP time,3 points on PP)

Horvat:

57GP,13G,10A, 23P with 11:52 of TOI.

Now im not saying Bo will have better than Seguin numbers for the rest his career(even though I would not doubt it), this was the closet comparison between two high draft pick rookies playing 4th line time and succeeding. Bo has just been a beast.

Haha you cherry picked. Like others have said Seguin was 18. Had 67 in his 19yr old campaign.

Bo will be great no doubt, but his offensive ceiling won't be more or = to Seguins. That's fine, cause long term, Bo will be the guy you want.

Edited by Jiggs50

Guest Dasein

Horvat had one more year to prepare which makes a ton of difference, but this is still his 1st season the year he tries to get a job and become a NHLer. Let's not take anything away from this kid, he's an actual prospect who can turn into a good NHLer, when was the last we had one of those?

Yeah he is, but 18 and 19 is different, just as 19 and 20 is different

He's not going to be scoring like Seguin.. Just let it go man

It doesn't mean Seguin is better than Bo, so I don't see why you're getting all worked up. I've said in my first reply that Bo might have a better career even though he will never score like Seguin, so I'm giving him a lot of credit as well

Haha Horvat is no Seguin, for both good and bad reasons.

I think the best comparable would be Mike Fisher or Jordan Staal. Maybe not quite in the league of Bergeron, but essentially a 1B centre who plays big minutes, puts up around 50 points (with high goal to assist ratios for a centre), and checks against a team's top line.

Edited by canucklehead44

Age makes a huge difference.

Mike Hoffman is leading the league in Rookie Goal scoring with 25 goals, but he's 25 years old. A rookie scoring 25 goals is impressive but then you have to look at the guy's age because him scoring 25 goals in his rookie campaign won't make him a superstar. If it were an 18 year old scoring 25 goals, say Nathan Mackinnon, then you can have a better indication of his NHL stardom potential because of his age, not so much his NHL experience.

Your Seguin and Horvat comparison is just not good...

Been waiting awhile to point out this stat :

A close comparison to Bo's first season would be Seguin when he was a rookie.

Seguin:

74GP,11G,11A, 22P with 12:13 of TOI(PP time,3 points on PP)

Horvat:

57GP,13G,10A, 23P with 11:52 of TOI.

Now im not saying Bo will have better than Seguin numbers for the rest his career(even though I would not doubt it), this was the closet comparison between two high draft pick rookies playing 4th line time and succeeding. Bo has just been a beast.

I'm sure you can find a better comparison between two high draft picks... That's just naive to say there is a correlation there.

I will be surprised if Horvat doesn't start next season as 3C. Obviously if his offense continues to blossom he will push for 2C. Putting him there to early on could mean to much pressure. The way WD runs 4 lines it should not make much dif anyways. Horvat is currently at 13th in rookie scoring. Vey is 14th for those who think Vey is a washout. Last I checked there were 30 NHL teams. Van fans should be ecstatic.

• Upvote 4

Age makes a huge difference.

Mike Hoffman is leading the league in Rookie Goal scoring with 25 goals, but he's 25 years old. A rookie scoring 25 goals is impressive but then you have to look at the guy's age because him scoring 25 goals in his rookie campaign won't make him a superstar. If it were an 18 year old scoring 25 goals, say Nathan Mackinnon, then you can have a better indication of his NHL stardom potential because of his age, not so much his NHL experience.

Your Seguin and Horvat comparison is just not good...

I'm sure you can find a better comparison between two high draft picks... That's just naive to say there is a correlation there.

I kinda think Johnathen Toews is a pretty good compatible. Came in as a 19 year old, had I believe 54 points in 69 games? Or near. But was also recieveing more minutes and prime PP time for the Hawks while also playing with Patty Kane.

Not saying Bo will be as Solid as Toews, but as far as playing style/compatible rookie seasons I'd say it all kinda lines up.

I kinda think Johnathen Toews is a pretty good compatible. Came in as a 19 year old, had I believe 54 points in 69 games? Or near. But was also recieveing more minutes and prime PP time for the Hawks while also playing with Patty Kane.

Not saying Bo will be as Solid as Toews, but as far as playing style/compatible rookie seasons I'd say it all kinda lines up.

For sure. Our favourite comparisons for Horvat have been Toews and Bergeron from the start, the leagues best two-way centermen. It would be amazing if he got to that status, but again, I'm holding expectation quite loose and just enjoying the bo show.

Guest Dasein

Career high 18:52 TOI last night vs DAL and was #1 among centers in ice time

Thought that he doesn't have the stamina for that much ice time yet - he seemed tired and slower in the 3rd period

But now Bo knows what it takes to play those kinds of minutes at the NHL - he'll have to train hard on his conditioning over the summer so that if he's called upon to start playing those minutes all 82 games next year (and I think he might be with the way he's developing), that he can last

It also makes you appreciate how great of a shape the Sedins were/are in to play those minutes night in and night out for years now as the 1st line

Horvat is climbing the ladder so quickly it is stunning. To me stamina is not a serious issue. Horvat makes his line mates better but who his line mates are will affect his production. Worrying about that in his rookie year is premature. Putting to high expectations on him is also premature. Hoping that Horvat is penciled in as a 3C next fall is the safe play even tho he was 1C last night. The dif between Horvat and Hank is that Horvat has a more complete game IMHO. He can play physical but also has a high end ability to make plays. Top that with a high end d-zone ability along with his FO %. I look for weakness and cannot see anything that jumps out.

As Horvat's confidence level increases he might become more assertive physically which should be a scary thing for the opposition. I am not talking fighting I am talking about hitting and play in front of the net. He is a leader and should change the Canuck persona. The Twins have dominated Van offense for so long that players who should have a more north/south game try to copy the Twins and the team is poorer for it.

It was Hank's failed coverage last night that cost the game.

Edited by Boudrias