The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Radim Vrbata | #17 | RW

-SN-

2 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Only delusional CDC'rs who think he'll be without job opportunities next season believe that. Willie ends up back in the minors before that happens. 

I don't think he'll be without opportunities but I definitely think his next contract won't be anywhere near 5 million a year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2016 at 1:59 PM, Fakename70 said:

Only delusional CDC'rs who think he'll be without job opportunities next season believe that. Willie ends up back in the minors before that happens. 

Am curious to hear your prediction - what will his term and cap hit be?

27 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Am curious to hear your prediction - what will his term and cap hit be?

I don't ever get into that sort of conversation about any player, as I'm not as hung up on player salaries as most sports fans tend to be. But, if you read my comment you'd notice it was directed at smug Canuck fans who think he's suddenly forever lost the ability to put the puck in the back of the net. Half of those same fans, hoping for a miracle, probably think it'd be unwise if Benning bought out Alexandre Burrows this summer, even though he's been trending downward for at least 3 years. Unlike Vrbata. 

Hes 35 and obviously won't land a long term deal. Maybe not even a multi-year unless it comes from Arizona. But, to think his 2015-2016 campaign with his undeveloped pup Canuck line mates is how he'll end his NHL career is just ridiculous. I've yet to be convinced it was anything but an aberration and am still perplexed why he was even separated from the Sedins in the first place, considering the drop off in talent among forwards behind that particular skating line. Heading into the 2015-2016 season it was the one reliable line among forwards. 

I think he'll likely sign a short term deal with a team that needs offense and with a coach smart enough to put him in a situation where his skill set - scoring goals - is best utilized. As in, next to a playmaking centre. Seems like a no-brainier, that, but apparently some coaches like to go against the grain for whatever reason. 

Its not that he's a favourite player of mine, but more the smugness of CDC'rs regarding this issue that is so infuriating. And, I'm looking forward to seeing him shut them up and prove them wrong next season. 

11 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

I don't ever get into that sort of conversation about any player, as I'm not as hung up on player salaries as most sports fans tend to be. But, if you read my comment you'd notice it was directed at smug Canuck fans who think he's suddenly forever lost the ability to put the puck in the back of the net. Half of those same fans, hoping for a miracle, probably think it'd be unwise if Benning bought out Alexandre Burrows this summer, even though he's been trending downward for at least 3 years. Unlike Vrbata. 

Hes 35 and obviously won't land a long term deal. Maybe not even a multi-year unless it comes from Arizona. But, to think his 2015-2016 campaign with his undeveloped pup Canuck line mates is how he'll end his NHL career is just ridiculous. I've yet to be convinced it was anything but an aberration and am still perplexed why he was even separated from the Sedins in the first place, considering the drop off in talent among forwards behind that particular skating line. Heading into the 2015-2016 season it was the one reliable line among forwards. 

I think he'll likely sign a short term deal with a team that needs offense and with a coach smart enough to put him in a situation where his skill set - scoring goals - is best utilized. As in, next to a playmaking centre. Seems like a no-brainier, that, but apparently some coaches like to go against the grain for whatever reason. 

Its not that he's a favourite player of mine, but more the smugness of CDC'rs regarding this issue that is so infuriating. And, I'm looking forward to seeing him shut them up and prove them wrong next season. 

He didn't lose the "ability" to put the puck in the net, everyone knows this, he lost the "mentality" to put the puck in the net. 

He checked out, and this is why the fans checked out on him, because they know he has the ability.

When someone has ability, and limits himself mentally, it is the most frustrating thing to watch. It is insulting to fans who don't get millions of dollars to play a game, and pay big dollars to watch and support them.

If he had personal issue, I can accept that. I can not accept sulking because the team sees it a better fit for him off the Sedin line.

I don't want him back, at any price.

33 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

He didn't lose the "ability" to put the puck in the net, everyone knows this, he lost the "mentality" to put the puck in the net. 

He checked out, and this is why the fans checked out on him, because they know he has the ability.

When someone has ability, and limits himself mentally, it is the most frustrating thing to watch. It is insulting to fans who don't get millions of dollars to play a game, and pay big dollars to watch and support them.

If he had personal issue, I can accept that. I can not accept sulking because the team sees it a better fit for him off the Sedin line.

I don't want him back, at any price.

If moving him off the top line were actually proven to be "a better fit", you'd have a point. Instead, it was a puzzling decision compounded by the finger pointing in his direction for the failure of this coaching staff for pairing him with line mates that weren't at his level, yet expecting the same numbers he normally puts up. I don't blame the guy at all for his frustration. 

44 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

If moving him off the top line were actually proven to be "a better fit", you'd have a point. Instead, it was a puzzling decision compounded by the finger pointing in his direction for the failure of this coaching staff for pairing him with line mates that weren't at his level, yet expecting the same numbers he normally puts up. I don't blame the guy at all for his frustration. 

I feel like your a big Radim Vrbata fan hmmm. 

33 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

I feel like your a big Radim Vrbata fan hmmm. 

You actually had to edit that simple sentence?

As I've stated elsewhere in this forum, it has nothing to do with me being a Vrbata fanboy. You can read it for yourself without me going on and on about it here. 

The twins haven't had very many compatible line mates. Particularly ones who shoot from the right side. That list prior to Vrbata's arrival really included only Mikael Samuelsson, who, by coincidence just happened to enjoy the best 2 seasons of his career, points wise. Vrbata is the same type of player, and had similar success the first year of being paired with the Sedins. Remember, the Canucks were a playoff team with 101 points that year and those 3 combined for 69 of the team's 242 goals, led by Vrbata's team high 31.

Now, why on earth would a head coach feel compelled to break that up the following season? Particularly considering roster moves made by the GM during the offseason that had the team turning to younger, unproven and still-developing players. Moreover, why would said head coach pair those players with a guy with Vrbata's skill set? He may be good for only one thing, but, there wasn't anyone else on the team better at it than him. But, he needs a playmaker to be able to do it. Granted, Sutter's injury - though, he's more of a goal scorer than playmaker - didn't help matters any. But, other than Henrik - and, even his brother - who on this team fit the bill and could put the puck on his stick? He's a sniper not a grinder. I was under the impression he was signed because of his goal scoring ability, which he displayed his first year. Second year, Willie - with the kids in mind - wants him to be a mentor and leader of men instead? What?! Isn't that the captain's job? Vrbata just wanted to score goals. I don't have a problem with that. It's what he does. Why not pair him with the player(s) best equipped to make that possible? Dave Tippett seemed to have figured out at least that much about the guy. Why not Willie after that first year?

33 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

You actually had to edit that simple sentence?

As I've stated elsewhere in this forum, it has nothing to do with me being a Vrbata fanboy. You can read it for yourself without me going on and on about it here. 

The twins haven't had very many compatible line mates. Particularly ones who shoot from the right side. That list prior to Vrbata's arrival really included only Mikael Samuelsson, who, by coincidence just happened to enjoy the best 2 seasons of his career, points wise. Vrbata is the same type of player, and had similar success the first year of being paired with the Sedins. Remember, the Canucks were a playoff team with 101 points that year and those 3 combined for 69 of the team's 242 goals, led by Vrbata's team high 31.

Now, why on earth would a head coach feel compelled to break that up the following season? Particularly considering roster moves made by the GM during the offseason that had the team turning to younger, unproven and still-developing players. Moreover, why would said head coach pair those players with a guy with Vrbata's skill set? He may be good for only one thing, but, there wasn't anyone else on the team better at it than him. But, he needs a playmaker to be able to do it. Granted, Sutter's injury - though, he's more of a goal scorer than playmaker - didn't help matters any. But, other than Henrik - and, even his brother - who on this team fit the bill and could put the puck on his stick? He's a sniper not a grinder. I was under the impression he was signed because of his goal scoring ability, which he displayed his first year. Second year, Willie - with the kids in mind - wants him to be a mentor and leader of men instead? What?! Isn't that the captain's job? Vrbata just wanted to score goals. I don't have a problem with that. It's what he does. Why not pair him with the player(s) best equipped to make that possible? Dave Tippett seemed to have figured out at least that much about the guy. Why not Willie after that first year?

Whats wrong with editing a simple sentence??? Your one of few people that actually defend vrbata. 

Anyways, he'll prob get a contract somewhere. Prob like a 1-2 year deal. 

2 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Regardless of the decision of what is best for the team or not in yours, mine, or Vrbata's mind, as a pro and especially as a pro, you try your hardest at all times no matter the circumstances.

As a veteran at minimum you should be leading by example and for a 35 year old to be that sour and that willing to check out, to me is unforgiveable.

I try harder against my kids and my friends in anything I do, for free. 

That's what I saw and those types are locker room poison especially when you have kids in the line-up.

Bed-wetting is what I saw and I find it disgusting.

Opposite of Burrows

I think Vrbata's treatment was actually beneficial to our team. We've had many many offensive players who our fans expected to be coddled and played as offensive players only. Decades of it. This, in conjunction with the Shinkaruk trade, is a clear message to our players that even offensively gifted players are expected to pay attention to all the details of the game. Now all of our prospects will know this and endeavor to learn all aspects of our system. It was bad for Vrbata's stats, but good for our future players all-round skills. 

2 hours ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

Regardless of the decision of what is best for the team or not in yours, mine, or Vrbata's mind, as a pro and especially as a pro, you try your hardest at all times no matter the circumstances.

As a veteran at minimum you should be leading by example and for a 35 year old to be that sour and that willing to check out, to me is unforgiveable.

That's what I saw and those types are locker room poison especially when you have kids in the line-up.

Opposite of Burrows

Especially in the playoffs vs. the Flames in April 2015.  I was a Vrbata fan until I saw him go into the fetal position against the Flames.  Am very glad that he's not in any of Benning's discussions for re-signing.  If he signs with any NHL team for either one of more than a 2 year term and anything north of $2M AAV, I will be shocked.  He had no value in the trade market and I doubt he has any real value in the UFA market.  My money is on Vrbata going back to the Czech Republic to play for the pro team he co-owns.  IMO, he's one step away from retirement.

6 hours ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

Opposite of Burrows

I'll assume we differ on it also being the responsibility of the coaching staff to put players in the best possible position to succeed and contribute. If you believe that's what Willie did this season, then I don't know what to tell you. Like he said, "this isn't the try league". I can only imagine the level of frustration that would come from playing on the top line and leading a playoff team in goals one year, to playing with rookies and sophomores on a team that stinks just one year later. 

You can contrast Vrbata with the Burrows example all you want, but, I think it says quite a lot about this organisation and CDC that fingers point more at a guy one year removed from a 31-goal season than at a guy who has managed just 1 goal more than that over the last 3 years combined. 

4 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

I'll assume we differ on it also being the responsibility of the coaching staff to put players in the best possible position to succeed and contribute. If you believe that's what Willie did this season, then I don't know what to tell you. Like he said, "this isn't the try league". I can only imagine the level of frustration that would come from playing on the top line and leading a playoff team in goals one year, to playing with rookies and sophomores on a team that stinks just one year later. 

You can contrast Vrbata with the Burrows example all you want, but, I think it says quite a lot about this organisation and CDC that fingers point more at a guy one year removed from a 31-goal season than at a guy who has managed just 1 goal more than that over the last 3 years combined. 

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with his deployment. What I am saying is no matter what, you go out and give it your all, for your linemates, teammates, and the fans that pay top dollar to show up at the rink as a paying customer. 

I dont get your response to me, a lot of assumptions, didn't say any of what you are assuming I said. 

5 hours ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with his deployment. What I am saying is no matter what, you go out and give it your all, for your linemates, teammates, and the fans that pay top dollar to show up at the rink as a paying customer. 

I dont get your response to me, a lot of assumptions, didn't say any of what you are assuming I said. 

Exactly what is it about my responses that you "don't get"?

Ive made it clear for a month that I'm directing my comments to CDC'rs who believe he's washed up. And, just as they - and you - point fingers at him for "checking out" this season, I fingerpoint at Willie for going away from what worked and wondering why his production dropped. If he were the kind of winger who can create his own shot I'd be far more critical. But his game is reliant upon a playmaking center. Hell, he even had an additional playmaking winger that first year, too. He had neither this year. But, I guess I'm the only one who found it odd Willie decided to go in another direction from that considering the turnover from vets to pups in the offseason. 

If the assumption you refer to has to do with my comment about Willie not putting Vrbata in a position to succeed and you possibly being ok with that, as I said, I don't know what else to say about that other than we disagree on the level of importance that played in Vrbata's second season as a Canuck. You want to blame his miserable output on a piss poor attitude, and that's fine. I'm looking beyond that at him being mishandled by the coaching staff. 

You want to talk about fans who turn up at the games being deserving of players who give it their all, but, let's not let the head coach off the hook, either, when one of his decisions has a direct negative impact on the success of this team. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think Ericksson is a great replacement for Vrbata, plus he's a fellow Swede. And has more intangibles ie physicality than Vrbata. 

Whatever the excuses made for Vrbata to stop performing to the levels he showed in the past, he can make up for whenever he gets picked up by another team here or maybe Europe.

Archived