The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-17 Utica Comets Thread

3-0 Crunch just seven minutes in. Not a great start for Demko or the team in front of him.

From what I can tell, the roster is something like this:

Laplante-Hamilton-Bancks
Ewanyk-Cassels-D'Aoust
Hulak-Valk-Carcone
Moynihan-Perfetto-Kunyk

Negrin-Subban
Sautner-McEneny
Stewart-Shields

Demko

Its hard to tell who's playing with who because the camera quality isn't great and the Crunch announcer doesn't say many of the Comets players names. But I think I've got it all down now.

13 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

3-0 Crunch just seven minutes in. Not a great start for Demko or the team in front of him.

Laplante-Hamilton-Bancks
Ewanyk-Cassels-D'Aoust
Hulak-Valk-Carcone
Moynihan-Perfetto-Kunyk

Negrin-Subban
Sautner-McEneny
Stewart-Shields

Demko

Its hard to tell who's playing with who because the camera quality isn't great and the Crunch announcer doesn't say many of the Comets players names. But I think I've got it all down now.

Wow that's one weak roster.

Crappy way for Demko to get his debut.

17 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Laplante-Hamilton-Bancks
Ewanyk-Cassels-D'Aoust
Hulak-Valk-Carcone
Moynihan-Perfetto-Kunyk

Negrin-Subban
Sautner-McEneny
Stewart-Shields

Demko

The Negrin and Subban pairing has always been brutal. Those two should never see the ice together.

3-0 after the first, shots 16-10 for Syracuse. The second half of the period was much more stable on the Comets' side of things, but the inexperience in this lineup is apparent.

As UticaHockey said, the Negrin-Subban pairing is pretty bad, and one that should definitely be avoided in the regular season. Subban didn't look like he knew what to do at all on the second goal, I don't remember if Negrin was on the ice for that one though. Although Negrin is possibly one of the slowest skaters I've ever seen.

Laplante had a powerplay goal disallowed because he jammed it in just after the whistle had gone. Carcone looked good again, he made a nice crafty move to stickhandle through a few Crunch players and get a shot on goal late.

Still 3-0 after the second, shots are now 28-17 for Syracuse. Demko looked much more comfortable in the second, he had a great sequence near the start of the period when he had to stretch out his leg to make a pad stop on Dumont at the post, then lost his stick and made two more very good saves without it.

The Comets powerplay didn't score but showed good zone control. They're using a set-up of Carcone-Cassels-Hulak up front, with Valk and Subban manning the points. Subban is very poised on the point, he had good vision in getting the puck to the right places and keeping it in several times. With better forward personnel he should be a threat on the PP again this year for sure. His defensive game definitely still needs work, though. Too often in his own zone he's just caught hovering in front of his own net and not taking a check or looking to see who's behind him.

36 minutes ago, Knucklehd said:

Any thoughts in a projected starting line up?

A couple pieces still hinge on what the Canucks decide to do. But I'd guess it'll be something like this:

Gaunce*-Megna-Grenier
Zalewski-Chaput-Rendulic
Hulak-Hamilton-Bancks
Labate-Cassels-Archibald
(Carcone, Valk, LaPlante, Moynihan, Kunyk)

Billins-Stecher/Biega
Pedan-Shields
Sautner-Subban
(Nilsson, Negrin, McEneny, Stewart)

Bachman
Demko

If Gaunce makes the Canucks, substitute whoever is sent down in his place and things will be shifted around. And then there's obviously the Stecher situation which will affect the Comets defense this year. But overall, they've got a really solid lineup materializing. Not a lot of flashy talent but the forwards are very balanced.

17 minutes ago, UticaHockey said:

Bachman was the only Canuck placed on waivers today.  Looks like today will be decision time and final cuts announced tomorrow.

Yes this was posted earlier that it would be management meeting today and the final roster decisions on Monday...

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Subban and Negrin again? That team needs Biega and/or Pedan badly.

Also, when Valk is your first line center, you're gonna have a bad time. Gotta get Chaput and Megna into the lineup.

Needs some more Virtanen and Stecher - Willie D

Comets drop their second (and final) preseason game 2-1 vs the Crunch. Hulak the only goal, on the PP from Subban and Bancks. Demko played the first two periods and stopped 10 of 11, with Garteig playing the third stopping 12 of 13.

Regular season starts on Saturday! Wouldn't put much stock into either of these games as the roster will be much improved by then. The upcoming cuts will be interesting to watch for both the Canucks and the farm.

Archived