The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Olli Juolevi | #48 | D

b3.

7 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whinge

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/whinge

Educate yourself.  I expect better from...well really I have no idea who the hell you are so I expect nothing really.  I'd like a coffee though.  2 sugar

Wow....You realize having an ego about posting on an internet hockey forum is the saddest thing ever.....lol

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

Wow....You realize having an ego about posting on an internet hockey forum is the saddest thing ever.....lol

Who has an ego Mr. I am arrogant enough to dress someone down on a hockey forum?

He addressed me, I responded.

Issue with that?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Walks in to the OJ thread

Oh look Tkachuk whinging 

Leaves OJ thread shaking his head

I agree. Why do we need to discuss about Tkachuck here? Whenever Tkachuk does something, something will be said of him in comparison to Juolevi who hasn't even played a single shift for the Canucks yet.

Tkachuck has his own strengths and I think he will be a good player for sure but comparison of the two players at this point is a bit premature. We need to see what Juolevi can do in the next year or two before we can compare the two players.

I still have high hopes for Juolevi. The core of Finland team was Aho, Puljujarvi, Laine, and Juolevi. One argument that I hear often is that Laine, Aho, and Puljujarvi drove the team and Juolevi was just the passenger but I don't think that way. If you don't have a capable puck mover at the back, then the job of those forwards get a lot harder. Case in point, see the Vancouver Canucks and the Sedins before and after Ehrhoff left. 

At the minimum, we have is a player that can move the puck to the forwards for quick transition to offence. This means that if we are able to draft and develop some good forwards and as players like Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser, Granlund, Virtanen, Goldobin, and Dahlen become better, we have a defenceman that can make life easy for these forwards and compliment the team play well.

The absolute best case is that he improves his puck handling skills, skating, and just becomes better defensively and then we have a top 2 D.

What is there to not like about this kid? He is a type of player that we don't have in our roster or prospect pool. Stecher, Hutton, Tryamkin, and to some extent, Subban and McEneny are different types of players from Juolevi. We need this type of player just as much as Tkachuk type of player. 

And at the last year's draft, we didn't exactly know what JV was going to be like so I understand the decision to not pick Tkachuk, which felt like a picking a type of player that we already kind of had in the system. It turned out that Virtanen wasn't ready to go so in hindsight, we could have used Tkachuk but at that time, we didn't know. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, darinbadershouldamadeit said:

too much "whinging"? I expect better from an OCD spelling Nazi like you...

24 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/whinge

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/whinge

Educate yourself.  I expect better from...well really I have no idea who the hell you are so I expect nothing really.  I'd like a coffee though.  2 sugar

19 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

..wow

This is pathetic 

15 minutes ago, Ihatetomatoes said:

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Who has an ego Mr. I am arrogant enough to dress someone down on a hockey forum?

He addressed me, I responded.

Issue with that?

• Upvote 2

Just now, Erik Karlsson said:

Warhippy is definitely one of the most annoying posters on this board. Chill bro it's the Internet. 

You don't think I have said the same thing myself?

Just a question

Why do I have to chill when I was the one who got called a spelling nazi, then pathetic and more for simply making  a statement in jest about the unending Tkachuk complaints?  I shouldn't have to defend myself for using a term correctly and then correcting someone because of it.

If you don't like it, the easier thing to do is walk away and ignore it but I am annoying and will always take the bait so...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, khay said:

I agree. Why do we need to discuss about Tkachuck here? Whenever Tkachuk does something, something will be said of him in comparison to Juolevi who hasn't even played a single shift for the Canucks yet.

Tkachuck has his own strengths and I think he will be a good player for sure but comparison of the two players at this point is a bit premature. We need to see what Juolevi can do in the next year or two before we can compare the two players.

I still have high hopes for Juolevi. The core of Finland team was Aho, Puljujarvi, Laine, and Juolevi. One argument that I hear often is that Laine, Aho, and Puljujarvi drove the team and Juolevi was just the passenger but I don't think that way. If you don't have a capable puck mover at the back, then the job of those forwards get a lot harder. Case in point, see the Vancouver Canucks and the Sedins before and after Ehrhoff left. 

At the minimum, we have is a player that can move the puck to the forwards for quick transition to offence. This means that if we are able to draft and develop some good forwards and as players like Horvat, Baertschi, Boeser, Granlund, Virtanen, Goldobin, and Dahlen become better, we have a defenceman that can make life easy for these forwards and compliment the team play well.

The absolute best case is that he improves his puck handling skills, skating, and just becomes better defensively and then we have a top 2 D.

What is there to not like about this kid? He is a type of player that we don't have in our roster or prospect pool. Stecher, Hutton, Tryamkin, and to some extent, Subban and McEneny are different types of players from Juolevi. We need this type of player just as much as Tkachuk type of player. 

And at the last year's draft, we didn't exactly know what JV was going to be like so I understand the decision to not pick Tkachuk, which felt like a picking a type of player that we already kind of had in the system. It turned out that Virtanen wasn't ready to go so in hindsight, we could have used Tkachuk but at that time, we didn't know. 

I actually like Tkachuk, I think he's going to be a damned effective player for years and annoying to play against.  I also don't think he will finish his career in Calgary.

But we have Olli Juolevi, who is a damned fine looking defenseman in an organization with a serious need for damned fine looking defensive prospects.

People really need to let go of it and accept that OJ is ours Tkachuk is not.  No amount of comparisons or changing will fix that.  If there's a gripe or issue there is a Benning thread to take it to

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, khay said:

Excellent points.

In addition to Erhoff Id also like to bring up Salo.  Salo didnt put up a million points, but what he did do well was transition the puck and move the puck in the right direction for big minutes.   His first pass out of the zone was money - was so underrated at this.  Even during their juggernaut years there was a noticeable difference in the Canucks record when Salo was out of the lineup.  He drove a lot of the play from the back.

Also would like to add that by adding Juolevi, and with the emergence of Stecher/Hutton,  the Canucks now have the ability to move Tanev in his prime.  This can net them an excellent return - a young top 6 forward perhaps?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

You don't think I have said the same thing myself?

Just a question

Why do I have to chill when I was the one who got called a spelling nazi, then pathetic and more for simply making  a statement in jest about the unending Tkachuk complaints?  I shouldn't have to defend myself for using a term correctly and then correcting someone because of it.

If you don't like it, the easier thing to do is walk away and ignore it but I am annoying and will always take the bait so...

Haha it's just almost every time I log on I see you arguing with someone. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Haha it's just almost every time I log on I see you arguing with someone. 

Ya :(

I have to much spare time on my hands right now.  Thankfully it is usually the same 5 or 6 people and lately mostly in the Trump thread

Kinda worried about what will happen when that thread gets locked.  The spill over will be ugly

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Dude I love Bon Jovi!

Ya man, that Wanted Dead or Alive track on Rock Band... Too Epic.

Even Juolevi would be proud. Tkachuk not so much, not enough "head banging" for him...

Edit: There are jokes here.

Edited by Derp...

7 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

Too many miserable old men around here.  They join internet forums so they can argue and yell at people half their age

I knew you weren't legal. :lol:

Edited by Warhippy
  • Upvote 2

Just now, Derp... said:

Ya man, that Wanted Dead or Alive track on Rock Band... Too Epic.

Even Juolevi would be proud. Tkachuk not so much, not enough "head banging" for him...

When they kicked out Van Halen and replaced him with Kid Rock though I lost a lot of respect for them.  Although Cherry Pir was an awesome song

(am I doing this right?)

9 minutes ago, khay said:

Because people find it difficult we're talking about top 5 draft picks, of course a top forward is going to amazing, and a top defender is going to be amazing. It's the best players in their draft class, we picked Juolevi get over it

On 28/03/2017 at 11:13 AM, J.R. said:

I think they're hopeful the 'move a D for a for a forward' trade is ahead of the expansion draft which likely equals one of Edler, Tanev or Sbisa and hence not losing any of them in the ED for free.

The only other guy I could see them maybe move would be Hutton. I'm not sure he fits long term and being ED exempt, he'd have a TON of value. But there's absolutely no rush to move him and even then, there's no guarantee Juolevi makes the club as they'll likely sign a depth/3rd pair UFA to fill that 3rd pair spot in that case. 

Point being, I HIGHLY doubt Juolevi is on the Canucks next year.Which is fine as he probably still needs to get bigger. Unfortunately the AHL would probably be the best place for him though.

No kidding, some of these 19 year olds today are closer to the NHL than CHL yet the AHL is not an option. 

If you compare today to say 20 years ago, the kids today overall are much more ready to make the jump to pro at a younger age due to dieting, training, coaching, competition, etc.

It's time for a rule change without hurting the CHL as well.

I'd say 1st round draft picks need to be excluded from that rule now as we've seen that more kids are making that transition right out of the draft or the following year. Obviously this would be up to the team that drafts you & feels their 1st round pick is better to turn pro or stay in junior.

That way the Canucks would have more options with Juolevi next year. Sounds like he might be one that falls into this category.