The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matthews is going to be a bust!

I think Laine is going to be a star and Matthews is going to be a bust! Patrik Stefan 2.0. Awfully similar to the 99 draft where there were 2 Swedish twins, now fast forward to this year where there are two Fins (not brothers but meh). 

Stefan - Played in a "man's" league, perceived to be better because he did well in a more difficult league. Sound familiar?

Notice the logo at 2:45 on this clip below haha!

7 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I think Laine is going to be a star and Matthews is going to be a bust! Patrik Stefan 2.0. Awfully similar to the 99 draft where there were 2 Swedish twins, now fast forward to this year where there are two Fins (not brothers but meh). 

Stefan - Played in a "man's" league, perceived to be better because he did well in a more difficult league. Sound familiar?

you mad bro?

I agree, and not just because TOR fixed the drafting order so they could get him. I think Laine will be a superstar and Matthews will settle in, do really well, but the pressure to bring TOR a Cup will be overwhelming. Having to answer to the media why the Leafs lost again, why they will miss the playoffs etc.

48 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

He won't be a bust. I can see him not being elite, but he'll still be good and he'll still be a 1C.

I think Pulju will be the best coming out of this draft though.

VBUxxeo.gif

Someone needs to hit that guy!

41 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

You have to admit though, the similarities are definitely there!

No there’s actually not any similarities.  Stefan played in a minor pro hockey league in NA.  It was around slightly better than ECHL quality.  Stefan didn’t dominate in that league.  In fact he got injured and played only 40% of the games in his draft year.  He also didn’t dominate in the games he played.

Stefan didn’t go #1 because they thought he was better than the two Swedish players that got pick after, it was because it was well known that there was a good chance that unless the twins were drafted by the same team they might not come over to the NHL,

Lets break it down even further to show there are no similarities.

Sedins are Swedish,  Laine and Puljarvi are Finnish

Matthews is the only center in the top 3,  Henrik was also a center in his draft

Matthews played in a pro Swiss league, Stefan played in NA

Matthews was top 10 in points and top 4 in goals, Stefan wasn’t even top 20

Matthews was 2nd in ppg and 1st in ggp, Stefan wasn’t even close

Matthews dominated on the world stage as well,  Stefan did not.

Matthews has lots of past history that shows he’s elite at every level he’s played in. Stefan didn’t. 

Matthews is a scoring threat, Stefan was a play maker

So other than size and the fact they both played center, nothing about the two are similar and people are grasping at any reason to find doubt in the kid. 

• -SN- locked this topic

Archived