The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

35 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I read it in the hfboards from someone that's supposedly in the know. Also, supposedly, in one of his European trips a few months back, Jim Benning was scouting Necas specifically. Take it for what it's worth.

yeah its always good to check out the top 10 in person.  if he has a fancy for Necas I am excited. I think the kids something special.  :D

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Of course he was. Necas is a top prospect. I would be willing to be that Benning has personally traveled to each of the top 10 prospects to specifically scout them. It's due diligence. If Benning takes Necas at 5 I would be slightly upset since there's a high probability he could trade down several spots and still obtain Necas. I don't even dislike Necas, I actually think he looks like he had a very high possibility of becoming a top line center, there just seems to be better choices at 5. 

you read my mind :D

6 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I am happy with either one of Necas, Mittlestadt, Pettersson, Liljigren, vilardi or glass.. to a lesser point Heiskanen but still wouldn't be upset. I haven't seen Makar play so it is hard to judge but I find playing in the AJHL a bit of a knock on him. He be the best to come out of that league in a long time or he may not. Every draft pick has its risks but I am not sure that gamble is worth it given our situation.

This is probably the closest to the truth we get. Nobody knows, which one of these players will be the better player. They could all end up being duds or the could end up being stars... I'm so torn as to whom, I want us to pick... I just hope we could get another pick in the top 10-12 as there as so many intriguing players, and it could really set us on our way rebuild wise. 

11 hours ago, theminister said:

Dat audio....

:wub:

I've said it before... Necas may be the one too many are sleeping on. He could go VERY high.

Or, simply end up being one of the best out of the draft.

3 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I read it in the hfboards from someone that's supposedly in the know. Also, supposedly, in one of his European trips a few months back, Jim Benning was scouting Necas specifically. Take it for what it's worth.

Likewise, I haven't heard any leaks about their interest in him, but more about Mittelstadt, Glass, and one of the Euro Ds.  They've been pretty transparent in the past, but maybe this time are holding their cards closer and blowing some smoke.  Taking Necas or pretty much any of the next 8-10 can't be considered a reach if they truly figure he is or projects to be the BPA.  If they do take him, it's a sign that they are going all-in for speed and skill, something that's been evident since the TDL moves and subsequent comments.  That he adds a grit element and has shown he can play the North American game and excel at it has to put him in the running.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Necas had 15 points in 41 games with HC Kometa this year?... Maybe I'm missing something but that stat line is none too impressive.

Gifted offensive player who can stick handle and make plays at a high speed.  Gifted offensive player who plays a hard 2 way game,  under whelming stats is due to him being regulated to a bottom line role, for a team in the highest level Czech league, that won the championship.  For an 18 year old to make the Czech league is rather rare but it happ no, happens far less then 18 year old Swedish kids to make swedish tier 2, he stuck around in the best team in Czechoslovakia.

if anything I have valid reason to believe the Vancouver Canucks might be targeting him at 5 since he was rated so high by them at mid terms.

• Upvote 4

33 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Necas had 15 points in 41 games with HC Kometa this year?... Maybe I'm missing something but that stat line is none too impressive.

Come on you should know that there are so many things that need to be factored in. 

10 minutes ago, theminister said:

You don't scout stats, you scout the player. 

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

Come on you should know that there are so many things that need to be factored in. 

Sure of course there are other factors to consider than a stat line and that's why I'm asking. Imo Glass and Vilardi bring other intangibles like playing a more physical game. Unless Necas is burning up the scoresheet I just don't see why they would have him ahead of those 2

2 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Sure of course there are other factors to consider than a stat line and that's why I'm asking. Imo Glass and Vilardi bring other intangibles like playing a more physical game. Unless Necas is burning up the scoresheet I just don't see why they would have him ahead of those 2

Thats why you aren't a scout. They play is completely different leagues, it makes a huge difference. Necas played bottom six role on a champion team lol obviously he's not gonna rack up the points. Sure he isn't as physical but that wouldn't be why we draft him. 

I'm not opposed to glass or Vilardi but you need to understand that there are so many more things to look at. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Nancouver said:

Quality of competition. Just like some people, myself included, use QoC as a knock against makar. Necas is playing against men in one of the best leagues in the world in his 17-18 age year. That is impressive in and of itself. Not to mention it was a deep team that ended up winning it all makes it more impressive. On top of all that you need to consider the role/opportunities he would have been given each game; he wasn't playing a top 6 scorers role.

The one thing I will add about Necas is that I think he needs to improve his shot and his release. I like him as a prospect but going off the videos I have seen he could use work in that area. I would be happy with the choice if we end up with him in June.

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

2 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Thats why you aren't a scout. They play is completely different leagues, it makes a huge difference. Necas played bottom six role on a champion team lol obviously he's not gonna rack up the points. Sure he isn't as physical but that wouldn't be why we draft him. 

I'm not opposed to glass or Vilardi but you need to understand that there are so many more things to look at. 

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Quality of competition. Just like some people, myself included, use QoC as a knock against makar. Necas is playing against men in one of the best leagues in the world in his 17-18 age year. That is impressive in and of itself. Not to mention it was a deep team that ended up winning it all makes it more impressive. On top of all that you need to consider the role/opportunities he would have been given each game; he wasn't playing a top 6 scorers role.

Ok I didn't realize he was on such a deep team. I'm not saying flat out that Glass and Vilardi are better for sure, just haven't paid much attention to Necas. As long as we get a a player that will contribute at the nhl level I'm happy. I will admit though while watching the playoffs I am concerned benning seems to be building a softer team, not much grit up front.

1 hour ago, Nancouver said:

Ok I didn't realize he was on such a deep team. I'm not saying flat out that Glass and Vilardi are better for sure, just haven't paid much attention to Necas. As long as we get a a player that will contribute at the nhl level I'm happy. I will admit though while watching the playoffs I am concerned benning seems to be building a softer team, not much grit up front.

If we are looking for grit up front look no further then.  Elias petterson or Martin necas.  These guys don't back down and play a hard 2 way game. 

Martin necas might actually be the fastest guy in the draft.  Petterson is a fast player himself too.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Jim's had 'the eye' a few times. It could be like a Boeser situation where Jim picks a guy that other GMs bypass that regret it later. Really i think the only pick Jim could make that would scare people would be Rasmussen and only unfairly in comparisons to Virtanen that make no sense. 

2 hours ago, Nancouver said:

I understand where your coming from, I found myself referring back to 2012 when Hertl put up 25 points in 38 GP, was bigger, had a really good WJC, and slipped all the way down to 17th?! Not that he even really slipped, if you go back on mock drafts he was in the 20-28 range.

Now here we are 5 years later and we've got a kid who put up 15 points in 41 games, is smaller, getting talked about going as high as 3rd overall.

Now, that might make me sound like I'm not very high on Necas but that's not the case. He's a stud, that's well known, just statistically referencing the 2 is crazy no?!

Just the type of draft it is I guess, we're also talking about a kid playing in high school going 3rd as well! 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

If we are looking for grit up front look no further then.  Elias petterson or Martin necas.  These guys don't back down and play a hard 2 way game. 

Martin necas might actually be the fastest guy in the draft.  Petterson is a fast player himself too.

When I said grit what I meant was a player that plays on the edge a bit more, someone who goes out of their way to bring physicality. Size and skill with a bit of a mean streak. Watching the playoffs this year reiterates the need for those types of players still in today's game. The only forward besides Bo the Canucks have for this next core with these attributes is virtanen who is no guarantee to be on the team.

With that being said there may not be a player in the top ten who fits that mold.

3 minutes ago, VanIslander89 said:

I understand where your coming from, I found myself referring back to 2012 when Hertl put up 25 points in 38 GP, was bigger, had a really good WJC, and slipped all the way down to 17th?! Not that he even really slipped, if you go back on mock drafts he was in the 20-28 range.

Now here we are 5 years later and we've got a kid who put up 15 points in 41 games, is smaller, getting talked about going as high as 3rd overall.

Now, that might make me sound like I'm not very high on Necas but that's not the case. He's a stud, that's well known, just statistically referencing the 2 is crazy no?!

Just the type of draft it is I guess, we're also talking about a kid playing in high school going 3rd as well! 

Ya as for hertl I'm hoping for someone a bit better all round. Not too high on middlestat either. I'm just really hoping jb Doesn't reach and miss

4 hours ago, Nancouver said:

Check out how he does internationally against his peers.  Benning has taken such things under significant consideration in the past.

• Upvote 2