The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Just heard Llijergrin (sp) suffered through mono or something this season, and it really set him back.  I wonder if he could be someone, when healthy and strong again, who could make a huge improvement in his draft + 1 season?

I could definitely see him having a much, much better year next year. I'm still hoping we go with someone else though haha. Mittlestadt would look great in Canucks colours 

30 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Where are you getting that? You're looking at last season, look at 2017-18.  Next year Hudler, Hemsky, and Sharp come off the books and are all likely to be replaced with ELC. 

Yeah this is what i thought as well, Nill has options but not according to some on here.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yeah, I think we'll be surprised, like when JB took Juolevi at #5 over Tkachuk. Well, I know I was surprised anyway.

1. NJ - Hischier

2. PHI - Patrick

3. DAL - Vilardi

4. COL - Heiskanen

5. VAN - Pettersson (and the crowd groans with confusion, again)

6. LV - Glass

7. ARI - Makar

8. BUF - Tippett

9. DET - Liljegren

10. FLA - Vesalainen

Zero chance imo that Mittlestadt doesn't go before several of the guys you list. 

Just now, ashlynnbrookefan said:

Not a Glass or Petterson fan? 

The Glass is half empty shall we say.

Pettersson is probably the skinniest hockey player I have ever seen.

So no, not a huge fan of either pick, at least not in the five hole this year.

Teams also use the interviews to ask players about their teammates or players they might have played with in the past. I remember Eichel saying that his interviews had a lot of questions on Noah Hanifin. Don't read too much into the interviews. Its quite possible that they are interviewing Petersson to ask about someone like Liljegren.

Just now, Salmonberries said:

The Glass is half empty shall we say.

Pettersson is probably the skinniest hockey player I have ever seen.

So no, not a huge fan of either pick, at least not in the five hole this year.

I'd prefer Glass of those 2 but wouldn't be totally upset with Petterson. I get where you're coming from though

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

I'd prefer Glass of those 2 but wouldn't be totally upset with Petterson. I get where you're coming from though

At 5 I'd be upset with Petterson knowing we have the assets to move in to the 10-15 spot where he could be available.  There are 4-6 teams between 7 and 15 that could use a D man like Tanev that could possibly be convinced to give up their 1st + allowing us to grab Petterson there and someone else at 5

2 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

Thanks. I'm really not looking to be negative about this. It's just that Mittelstadt or Heiskanen or  even Vilardi (unlikely) are going to be available at five.

Just now, Warhippy said:

At 5 I'd be upset with Petterson knowing we have the assets to move in to the 10-15 spot where he could be available.  There are 4-6 teams between 7 and 15 that could use a D man like Tanev that could possibly be convinced to give up their 1st + allowing us to grab Petterson there and someone else at 5

I like Petterson and Necas so if either were selected at 5, though a very slight reach, I'd be fine with it. He isn't my top choice but I'd be fine with it. I'd love it if we could move Tanev for a first in that range. 

2 minutes ago, Salmonberries said:

Thanks. I'm really not looking to be negative about this. It's just that Mittelstadt or Heiskanen or  even Vilardi (unlikely) are going to be available at five.

Mittlestadt tops my list, I was just saying I'd be alright with Petterson too. Definitely not my top choice. I wasn't trying to be negative either, just engaging in some draft conversation with a fellow fan

I think Pettersson will have a really good interview, be enthusiastic, say all the right things. He knows Dahlen was traded to the Canucks, and would probably love to start his NHL career with someone familiar and who he had success with. Also, he'd be joining the Sedins' team. Those guys are legendary in Sweden. Probably a very exciting possibility for him. If he's never been to Vancouver before, he'd probably be thrilled as well to play in this city. Pettersson is also fairly slight at around 160 lbs or so, he'll need to bulk up.

5 minutes ago, ashlynnbrookefan said:

Mittlestadt tops my list, I was just saying I'd be alright with Petterson too. Definitely not my top choice. I wasn't trying to be negative either, just engaging in some draft conversation with a fellow fan

Vilardi tops mine of the possibles followed by Mittelsatdt and Heiskanen. I guess I'd be kind of frustrated if we went another way again but I also realize I don't know anything much about it except for what little I have watched or read. I'll get over my disappointment pretty quickly if we do reach for something a little different I'm sure. I really like Olli now and I didn't much then.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

seriously people whats wrong with Michael Rasmussen. when the last time this team had a 6-5 centre never

He may be the only guy in the realm of possibility we could potentially take that would infuriate me haha. Some people like his game though, who knows what'll happen

7 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

seriously people whats wrong with Michael Rasmussen. when the last time this team had a 6-5 centre never

Size matters, but speed kills.

I'm hoping they draft the next Bure-esque type player. I want to see speed, skill, goals, playmaking, excitement. Maybe Mittelstadt, Necas or Pettersson.