The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

I love the idea of Makar but I also hear a small voice in the back of my mind saying "be careful". There is so much hype for a smallish 2nd tier player!  It might be warranted but would be devastating if it wasn't!  Hearing that Vilardi, Glass or Middlestadt would be a good complement at Center tells me that is the way to go

2 minutes ago, Bandwagon38 said:

I love the idea of Makar but I also hear a small voice in the back of my mind saying "be careful". There is so much hype for a smallish 2nd tier player! 

If you think he's "smallish", then I guess so are Liljegren and Heiskanen:

• Makar's 5' 11.25", 187.44 lbs.
  • Liljegren is 5'11.5", 188 lbs. 
  • Heiskanen is 6'0", 172.16 lbs. (NOTE: Heiskanen was measured at 6'2" but that was with shoes as they made a mistake in the morning measurements so later on, they said to remove at least 2")

Also, Makar was easily one of the most athletic in the Combine based on his results. Liljegren was pretty athletic too.

6 minutes ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Didn't Cody Hodgson score 92 points playing for Brampton Battalion? I believe the OHL is considered a tougher league than the WHL.

Hodgson was also an immensely talented player. Lack of work ethic, meddling parents, and nagging back problems ruined his NHL career. None of those are really comparable issues.

• Upvote 2

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

We'll agree to disagree on that one - I thought he was OHL material but not NHL material as he would struggle even being a 2C.

I can see your point to some degree, his foot speed would have definitely held him back. Whether or not he'd have been able to improve on it without the entitlement and other issues is a pointless hypothetical.

I still don't think he's a great comparable though.

6 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Hodgson was also an immensely talented player. Lack of work ethic, meddling parents, and nagging back problems ruined his NHL career. None of those are really comparable issues.

Another in a long line of poor Canuck draft picks: 10th overall and, at one time, hailed as our future captain.

1 hour ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I haven't watched him a lot, but his production on paper is very good. He seems like a David Krejci type player. Adding that to Horvat might not match the entertainment factor of other teams, but it could prove to be pretty effective. 

He said he models his game after Patrice Bergeron.

I would think Martin Necas is more David Krejci/ Claude Giroux.

30 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

Yeah he lit up the world juniors and got a fat head. The bad back is definitely what did him in though. 

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah he lit up the world juniors and got a fat head. The bad back is definitely what did him in though. 

He was a very slow skater and that bad back didn't let him improve enough to be competent like the Sedins.

I'm still surprised in this day and age how every player is not a great skater yet.

Especially when the difference between average and great players is usually hockey IQ and skating ability.

Here's an audio clip from earlier today regarding who would be a better choice between Makar and Glass. If indeed the draft order goes 1) Nico 2) Nolan 3) Heiskanen  4) Vilardi my gut feeling tells me it's going to be between those two but could be wrong it's all speculation.

Edited by AlwaysACanuckFan

21 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

He was a very slow skater and that bad back didn't let him improve enough to be competent like the Sedins.

I'm still surprised in this day and age how every player is not a great skater yet.

Especially when the difference between average and great players is usually hockey IQ and skating ability.

Skating is based on a sliding scale. Guys of a decade ago that were considered good skaters are most likely only average skaters now.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, gurn said:

Skating is based on a sliding scale. Guys of a decade ago that were considered good skaters are most likely only average skaters now.

True it's why Chris Higgins is out of the league. Couldn't keep up anymore. Despite being a decent skater quicker than fast guy.

It's why Michael Grabner is still a valuable piece because of his elite speed.

If I'm the LVK I hoard all the speed guys and load up with Haula,Grabner, Helm, Ennis etc. Make the team competitive and have attractive trade bait.

Almost every team could use more speed at the deadline...

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

We'll agree to disagree on that one - I thought he was OHL material but not NHL material as he would struggle even being a 2C.

I have a gut feeling Canucks surprise everyone and pass over Glass for Villardi because his body is NHL ready and he is Italian like you joked about..

If Acquilini s have a say they go Vilardi over anything...

13 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I have a gut feeling Canucks surprise everyone and pass over Glass for Villardi because his body is NHL ready and he is Italian like you joked about..

If Acquilini s have a say they go Vilardi over anything...

Nothing wrong with picking Vilardi. If the Canucks come home with either Glass or Vilardi on Friday, I would say that's a win for this franchise. 

• Upvote 2

You know I probably peaked to early, because I rally don't care anymore....If we draft at 5 OA, who ever we pick will have a good chance of being on the team in a couple of years, but in saying that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I would not be the least mad at Benning if he packaged our 5th OA and Tanev for a young 1st line center, and would even through in more, if it was a good young 23 - 24 yr old center........but someone with a year or 2 already in the nhl.....Arizona's - Strome, Buffalo's - Reinhart, Colorado - McKinnon, Galchenyuk

Put out Tanev, 5th OA and Sutter............................not saying I would use all these assets, just I would be prepared to offer up some of it.........

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

I haven't read anything negative about Elias Pettersson other than his weight.

Nobody questions his skills or potential.

Basically if he can gain 30 pounds in 3 years he will be one of the steals of the draft... looking back in 5 years.

I think Pettersen could be the most skilled Center of the 2nd tier and played with Dahlen but Benning would have some balls to pass over Makar, Glass, Vilardi etc to grab him 5th.  It might be the next GM who reaps the benefit of Pettersen.

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

Completely untrue.  Offense is played at one end of the ice.  Defence is played at the other end. 

Be creative and generate offense in the attacking zone.

Know who to cover when you backcheck and defend against the other team cycling in the defensive zone.

You don't play defense in the offensive zone... you play offense.

Your offensive attack starts on your own end from the moment you regain control of the puck.

Goalies that play the puck well can start your offensive attack just like a defenseman. It all starts from a good break out. Thats hockey 101. 

Just like your defensive scheme ties in to how your system sets up offensively because defensive plays starts in the offensive zone as soon as you have lost possession.

Its a positional chess match in all zones. So I have to disagree you. 

• Upvote 2