The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign F Loui Eriksson [6 year x $6M AAV]

18 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

a luke warm response to a direct question on local radio. "it would be an experience, for sure." so would being launched into the sun. what is the guy supposed to say, that he has no interest in playing there? he was a pending ufa, he has to try to maximize his suitors and the size of their offers.

but like i said, as long as calgary was interested and made a competitive offer, that's where he was going. it's right in the middle of his family (vancouver) and his wife's family (regina) and they were already building their off season home there. 

• Upvote 3

22 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

How's that Seguin trade looking, Boston?

Well they got backes as a good replacement...

4 hours ago, Fakename70 said:

Still waiting for the Canucks to end their reliance on LH RW's on the Sedin line, too. 

I personally think he'd fit better on the 2nd line 5v5. Handedness being another good reason.

10 hours ago, J.R. said:

After adding Eriksson, I'd be a-ok if Benning's other major move was nabbing Hartnell + a good prospect for peanuts. Might have to get him to waive the NMC in coming here now that we have to also protect Eriksson though.

As for lineups... I still personally prefer Eriksson on line 2 for anything but the PP as I feel it leaves us still a very one line team (and hence easily shut down) if he's with the twins but the coaches will figure that out.

Sedin, Sedin, Hansen/Eriksson

Baer, Sutter, Eriksson/Hansen

Etem/Burrows, Horvat, Dorsett/Virtanen

Burrows/Etem, Granlund, Virtanen/Dorsett

Zalewski

30 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I personally think he'd fit better on the 2nd line 5v5. Handedness being another good reason.

i don't understand the myth perpetuated by vancouver media and fans that the sedins are better with a right shooting linemate.

they had one good season with anson carter 10 years ago, one good season with vrbata 2 years ago, and have done decently with hansen on and off the last few years. 

in between they had relative success with naslund (left), demitra (left), and 5 or so years of sustained success (their best years) playing with burrows (left).

19 hours ago, <DarkGhost> said:

Of course not. But as we saw this year...even being the 3rd worst doesn't mean you get a franchise player. 

Even after Matthews this year...everyone else drafted has the potential to be a Loui E type of player. A best case for all the guys we were looking for this year is top end 60 point player. 

Well we just friggin got one in his prime for free. 

Your argument only makes sense if we finish dead last AND draft 1st. 

After guys like McDavid or Matthews...the rest of the guys are potential 50-60 point players. 

So news flash we will probably never get a Stamkos unless we finish dead last (And then it's not even guaranteed 1st) and that won't happen.

Following your path:

- Trade all vets

- Have our young players fail and lose

- Have no one to insulate or protect them as they learn 

- Finish bottom 5

- Most likely NOT draft 1st 

- Draft 2-5

- Get a player with a top end of 50-60points

- Wait 2-5 years for that player to MAYBE hit those numbers 

- #winning

Following JBs Path:

- Keep the team competitive

- Add top line free agent to help with scoring

- Introduce young talent into the line up at a slow pace where they don't have pressure on them (like Horvat 2 years ago vs Virtanen and McCann this year) 

- Draft smart and make those picks count 

- Stay competitive till the new you guys can take over...filling needs via trade or free agency as needed

- #winning

I have never advocated "trading all the vets", or any of the other strawman points that you list as "my path".

I said we shouldn't have signed Miller and Vrbata and instead let the youngsters run with it. If we happened to finish at or near the bottom, then we'd have a run at a true generational talent for the first time in team history.

We did not have to finish "dead last", just in a lottery position.The Oilers didn't finish last the year they got McDavid. (nor Yakupov for that matter)

In fact, we did exactly what I advocated last year and have Juolevi to show for it. Nothing untoward has happened to the likes of Horvat, Hutton, Etem, Granlund, etc., because of a losing season.

However, I like your suggestion of "draft smart and make those picks count". If only it were that easy. 

18 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

You mean the model whereby in order to get your best player you have to win a lottery and not tank?  We tried that this year and failed.  Maybe next time the ping pong balls will go our way and we'll move from 5th to 1st like Chicago did, or maybe a lockout will happen and Bettman will gift us the best player like with Pittsburgh..

I disagree. Yes, it would have been nice to get Matthews or Laine, but I'm happy with Juolevi. Much happier than I would have been with yet another 15-20th overall pick, after another "one and done" playoff.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, BOHORVAT53 said:

I dont know man you find it. Im sure its there somewhere. If I remember correctly, word was Hamhuis was their main target, not Ladd, but Hamhuis took too long so they took Ladd. It was actually a few days prior to the deadline I think. Ppl biitch about Hammer, but its JBs fault he waited so long when it was obvious this was gonna be the way things would go. Think they actually wanted both Hammer+Vrbata, cost being 1st+Pokka. When Dallas calls, payment wasnt as high so our owner, now spoiled by Chicago offer, tells JB go get more (probably 1st instead of 2nd, or Lindell instead of Jokipakka). So dallas gets Russel instead. Offer off the table. They come back saying we'll still take Hammer. No more 2nd, Pollock, or Jokipakka though. Give you this guy and a 3rd. Take that to your owner.  JB says its our only option, take what we can? Owner says no, im too stubborn ill take nothing. It wasnt Jim Nill vs Jim Benning. It was Gaglardi saying fack you Aquilini's. They're personal beef, and greed, was the reason we got zip. "We like Russell over Hamhuis". Sure budz. Thats why Russells a UFA and Hamhuis is signed an hour after he's no longer on Aquilini's payroll

This was a BS "theory" floated by Botchford. It was blown out of the water as complete, and inaccurate spitballing. Exactly what Botch is noted for.

If you care to do a search, it was discussed at length in a thread here on CDC just before the trade deadline.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Does he always though. I know he did turn it on this year for his contract year. In the past though he seemed a little passive at times in his play like Vrbata. I don't know if he is gonna be as consistent as people think.

What I mean by soft player is forecheck in terms of hits and going hard to the net and not settling for perimeter shots.

Even the Sedins hit now and have always been good in pick battles. I personally don't think he has that in his game as a guy who can win puck battles song the boards.

I will wait and see how he plays first but that is my initial impression of him.

I see him as being the perfect guy to play with the twins or on the second line.  Looking at where and how he scores his goals it's clear the guy battles hard for every chance.

Hitting and grit is not always a key part of the game, especially with 3 other lines that are built for just that.

Concussion issues are literal years ago, like 4 seasons or more if I recall.

A guy who will play on the top 6, not a dedicated 1st line player to allow a seamless move from hansen up and down the first 3 lines is an awesome addition.

My only issue is the NTc/NMC modifications and the 6 years.  I'd have much rather seen 4 but cost of business.

2 hours ago, tas said:

i don't understand the myth perpetuated by vancouver media and fans that the sedins are better with a right shooting linemate.

they had one good season with anson carter 10 years ago, one good season with vrbata 2 years ago, and have done decently with hansen on and off the last few years. 

in between they had relative success with naslund (left), demitra (left), and 5 or so years of sustained success (their best years) playing with burrows (left).

Where Hank sets up on the half boards, it's better to have a right handed shot at the net, otherwise the shooter is on their back hand. 

Burrows (and others) have worked there regardless and I'm sure Eriksson would too. Doesn't mean a righty wouldn't be better. 

Besides, my main concern is that Eriksson there makes us a one line team again/still. 

Edited by J.R.
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Yeah and Lucic was quoted "BS" in regards to signing with Oilers. Bergevin said no trading PK. Stamkos expressed interests in returning home, etc....

Take things with a grain of salt buddy

5 hours ago, LolClarkson said:

Suttwr Horvat Hansen

I actually LOL'd when I read that. They're grinders, at best. I'm not saying the team should look to goon it up, but, a bit of force/strength to  balance out the finesse/skill is what I'd hope to see. 

26 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Besides, my main concern is that Eriksson there makes us a one line team again/still. 

Benning had better acquire a kick-ass, goal scoring LW for the Sutter line in order to avoid that. Hartnell can be had, and surely he'd waive his clause to escape Tort's doghouse. 

2 hours ago, tas said:

What myth? You haven't noticed it as fairly common league wide to see a lefty at LW and LD and a righty at RW and RD? 

You left out Mikael Sameulsson. 

12 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

I actually LOL'd when I read that. They're grinders, at best. I'm not saying the team should look to goon it up, but, a bit of force/strength to  balance out the finesse/skill is what I'd hope to see. 

In a yearn when Bonino and Kessel basically won the cup, you want to goon it up ?

9 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

Benning had better acquire a kick-ass, goal scoring LW for the Sutter line in order to avoid that. Hartnell can be had, and surely he'd waive his clause to escape Tort's doghouse. 

I actually alomst puked when I read that. Again. The last thing we need is a player like Hartnell.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

I agree. That goes for whomever Benning adds to the top-6 at LW. Baertschi showed improvement this season, sure, but those who have him penciled-in at LW on the 2nd line next season are nuts. Really hoping Hartnell becomes a Canuck this summer, but, it'll take more than "peanuts" to make it so. CBJ won't just give the guy away. Torts may not appreciate him, but he's still productive. Better him than either E. Kane or Nash. 

Edited by Fakename70

4 minutes ago, Fakename70 said:

What myth? You haven't noticed it as fairly common league wide to see a lefty at LW and LD and a righty at RW and RD? 

You left out Mikael Sameulsson. 

you're right about sameulsson, i completely forgot he existed. put him in the hansen category since he primarily played with kesler. 

and of course you typically want right shooting guys on the right side, but that's mostly to aid with defensive responsibilities, board play, and to open up more outlets. 

doesn't change the fact that the sedins have a longer and more successful track record playing with a lefty than a righty. 

5 hours ago, tas said:

brouwer was always going to calgary. he was in the middle of building his off season home there when he signed. 

True, true. I'll give you that. Brouwer-to-CowTown is one of the least surprising UFA transactions since Shaq to the Lakers. 

14 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

I actually alomst puked when I read that. Again. The last thing we need is a player like Hartnell.

Yeah, you're so right! I mean, why add another guaranteed 50-point forward to your top-6 if you don't need one?

Sure hope he ends up with a division rival instead. 

19 minutes ago, LolClarkson said:

In a yearn when Bonino and Kessel basically won the cup, you want to goon it up ?

Pretty sure I said clearly in the comment you replied to that gooning it up isn't what I'm talking about. If I were, I'd have floated Chris Stewart as an option.