The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Fire Benning! Prediction, Whatever, Rant,

If nothing happens at the TDL......I guess Benning and Linden get the boot.

As it stands now, this team is destined to mirror the Edmonton model for quite awhile without the benefit of secured draft pick positions.

This thread was created BEFORE any deals were done, BEFORE any games were played. Rocket science eh?

12 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Yeah, Benning JUST thought of that yesterday, but Julien had already been signed.

Late to the party again.

Getting closer to the title now, day by day, the heat on management is getting turned up.

Do you even comprehend what you say?

First off, that quote had nothing to do with JB asking for permission yesterday.....It was implied that he asked the bruins for permission to speak with Julien.  And since Julien was signed yesterday, it's easy to put 2 and 2 together to realize that Benning had contacted the bruins before he was signed.

Second,  why would Julien want to come to vancouver anyway?  JB wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't reach out and find out where Julien's head was at.

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Do you even comprehend what you say?

First off, that quote had nothing to do with JB asking for permission yesterday.....It was implied that he asked the bruins for permission to speak with Julien.  And since Julien was signed yesterday, it's easy to put 2 and 2 together to realize that Benning had contacted the bruins before he was signed.

Second,  why would Julien want to come to vancouver anyway?  JB wouldn't be doing his job if he didn't reach out and find out where Julien's head was at.

It was pure sarcasm, just that he is late to the party again. Waiting too long to make a deal or waiting until the best before date expires and then getting nothing or being embarrassed.

If he wants to keep his job he has to hit a home run or score a knock out. He has played rope a dope with the fans for going on 3 years, 3 years! If every prospect makes the team, they will still be behind 6 to 9 teams in the conference.

The team is going to be more handicapped than Vegas due to dumb contracts, poor signings, non trades and wasting of assets.

43 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

It was pure sarcasm, just that he is late to the party again. Waiting too long to make a deal or waiting until the best before date expires and then getting nothing or being embarrassed.

If he wants to keep his job he has to hit a home run or score a knock out. He has played rope a dope with the fans for going on 3 years, 3 years! If every prospect makes the team, they will still be behind 6 to 9 teams in the conference.

The team is going to be more handicapped than Vegas due to dumb contracts, poor signings, non trades and wasting of assets.

Hilarious that you don't even see how un realistic your expectations are.  You are the type of person that if in charge, we would see a revolving door of GM's/coaches every couple of years, a dis jointed locker room and probably even worse results.  Good on ya.

17 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Hilarious that you don't even see how un realistic your expectations are.  You are the type of person that if in charge, we would see a revolving door of GM's/coaches every couple of years, a dis jointed locker room and probably even worse results.  Good on ya.

You don't read much do you? Let everyone else do your thinking for you?

Find somewhere I suggest firing Gillis, Torts or even WD.

If you did read the title you might, just might, understand that this thread was what may happen by the TDL. Aren't the masses now starting call for blood? Haven't The fire WD threads been around since November? Did I start any of them? Have I not posted it doesn't matter who coaches this mess? The worst thing I posted about him is that he is a career AHL/minor league, a rookie and not very good, I haven't even, until today, suggested a replacement. The thread states I thought the team would bring up their AHL coach to help sell tickets, I didn't post that they should.

My expectations, as posted, appear to be much more realistic and accurate than many posting here.

But I understand, it so much easier to not have to reason out ideas of your own, to be one of herd, to never take a chance at being wrong. I am sure that once this group is fired you will be cheering with most other posters agreeing that they were so bad all along and whatever the media or other forum members post.

I posted before that if an ordinary, idiot fan like myself can see the writing on the wall in July, what does that say of the geniuses running this team? They rely upon people like you. 128 character thinker seeking approval from people you don't even know to keep criticizing those that are not cheerleaders. The Sedins will never get old, they will always be 100 point players, Sven is a top line forward as good as all the other 1rst or 2nd line forwards in the league, players not in the league and unproven, make this a cup winner, that waiting 7+ years or more is a good time frame to evaluate players, management and the team.

Considering that you must have researched my expectations, please enlighten me? Do you mean my expectations of trying to win a cup? You find that an unrealistic expectation? If so, what is reasonable? Making the playoffs? Winning a game here or there? Losing well? Please, tell me my expectations.

2 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Yeah, Benning JUST thought of that yesterday, but Julien had already been signed.

Late to the party again.

Getting closer to the title now, day by day, the heat on management is getting turned up.

You make good points sometimes, not this one i highlighted. Whose to say Julien would even sign here. Van or Mtl, any coach with Juliens track record would take Mtl at this point.

But, you have to be one of the most negative posters on this board. 

28 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I posted before that if an ordinary, idiot fan like myself can see the writing on the wall in July, what does that say of the geniuses running this team? They rely upon people like you. 128 character thinker seeking approval from people you don't even know to keep criticizing those that are not cheerleaders. The Sedins will never get old, they will always be 100 point players, Sven is a top line forward as good as all the other 1rst or 2nd line forwards in the league, players not in the league and unproven, make this a cup winner, that waiting 7+ years or more is a good time frame to evaluate players, management and the team.

Predicting that this is a team in transition doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.  These 'homer' assertions you make don't paraphrase accurately (I think) most of the common sense opinions of CDC posters here.  

You like to pretend you have a crystal ball.  

37 minutes ago, KKnight said:

You make good points sometimes, not this one i highlighted. Whose to say Julien would even sign here. Van or Mtl, any coach with Juliens track record would take Mtl at this point.

But, you have to be one of the most negative posters on this board. 

It was sarcasm. ridiculing how late things get done or not done.

Management blows enough smoke up everyone's a** already and the media is not what it used to be, it is in their best interest to "sell" the game, Burke and the NHL essentially control the mainstream media.

The negativity is mostly a response to controlled mediocrity and manipulation of information to the common fans.

If the team isn't very good, it isn't very good, simple as that. I just don't like them selling hamburger and saying it is tenderloin.

Again if a nobody can see where this team is going without making changes, why can't the millionaires running the show do something?

7 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

Predicting that this is a team in transition doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out.  These 'homer' assertions you make don't paraphrase accurately (I think) most of the common sense opinions of CDC posters here.  

You like to pretend you have a crystal ball.  

No, management would like yo to think they have a crystal ball, I just observed, compared and used history and my own "experience" to evaluate likely outcomes.

Vegas does it every year and they aren't going broke.

BTW, I have "built" many successful hockey teams, maybe not at the NHL level or calibre, but team building can and does transcend many disciplines. I understand difficulties of dealing with multiple personalities, agendas or expectations. In real life very few people who do this have the benefit of 5 to 8 years to show success. Often in team sports it is a matter measured in months certainly less than 5 years. In junior, you have about 12 to 18 months, most times less if players are aging out. So getting evaluations correct and melding players together has to be done with speed.

2 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

Linden and Benning must be tip toeing around the Aquilinis these days.  Funny that one day this season they were in a Play-off spot due to a mathematical anomaly, they were front and center, talking hopes and futures. lmao, most though seen through the SPIN, now they just want to hide under a rug, as its almost AUDIT time.

Between Benning, Linden, and Willy, 2 of the 3 will be fired before 2017/18 season starts.  

Teams just rope-a-dope them till its time to close out the game, then they finish them with ease.

Even hitting a homerun now wont save them, as their track record will ensure this is their last kick at the can in the NHL, soon to be trivia fodder.

Sad to watch really.

I don't see that at all. What I see is a team that is generally competing pretty hard every night, and a bunch of fans who really have zero perspective on what it takes to build a team in a cap league.

If they are competing, then Willie is doing his job of getting players to show effort on most but not all nights, but that's common to every team in the league.

I don't think that Willie will be back next year, I think Travis Green will take over and run the team after this year.

Nothing wrong with Benning and Linden, they are doing what it takes to build talent that will hit the league over the next couple of years.

On 2/16/2017 at 11:29 AM, TheGuardian_ said:

It was sarcasm. ridiculing how late things get done or not done.

Management blows enough smoke up everyone's a** already and the media is not what it used to be, it is in their best interest to "sell" the game, Burke and the NHL essentially control the mainstream media.

The negativity is mostly a response to controlled mediocrity and manipulation of information to the common fans.

If the team isn't very good, it isn't very good, simple as that. I just don't like them selling hamburger and saying it is tenderloin.

Again if a nobody can see where this team is going without making changes, why can't the millionaires running the show do something?

No, management would like yo to think they have a crystal ball, I just observed, compared and used history and my own "experience" to evaluate likely outcomes.

Vegas does it every year and they aren't going broke.

BTW, I have "built" many successful hockey teams, maybe not at the NHL level or calibre, but team building can and does transcend many disciplines. I understand difficulties of dealing with multiple personalities, agendas or expectations. In real life very few people who do this have the benefit of 5 to 8 years to show success. Often in team sports it is a matter measured in months certainly less than 5 years. In junior, you have about 12 to 18 months, most times less if players are aging out. So getting evaluations correct and melding players together has to be done with speed.

Maybe with your 75 years experience of scouting, maybe you can be GM?

21 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

I don't see that at all. What I see is a team that is generally competing pretty hard every night, and a bunch of fans who really have zero perspective on what it takes to build a team in a cap league.

If they are competing, then Willie is doing his job of getting players to show effort on most but not all nights, but that's common to every team in the league.

I don't think that Willie will be back next year, I think Travis Green will take over and run the team after this year.

Nothing wrong with Benning and Linden, they are doing what it takes to build talent that will hit the league over the next couple of years.

I agree.  Benning and Linden are doing a good job generally.  We are heading in the right direction.  It will take a few years before we are consistently in the top half of the league. Would have liked a trade at last year's trade deadline but you need a willing trade partner (it's complicated with No Trade Clauses).  Benning has done well in with his picks (esp in the middle rounds) in the NHL Entry Draft.  This year, will be especially tricky so he will need to really do his homework to prevent being burned re the Expansion Draft.  I think Willie has done a fair job but we may need a change behind the bench next year.  One thing that has disappointed me is that he hasn't played our 4th line as much as he should have.  He talked about being a team that plays all 4 lines but he has gone in a different direction.  Not only that, I think that the Chaput-Skille-Gaunce line has looked pretty good when they've played (just not enough imo).  We probably could use an upgrade on the 4th line but most teams are in the same boat.  In the NHL, it's hard to be a consistently up-tempo team when you're only playing 3 lines. 

4 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

way to many questionable picks and trades, with rookie errors and lack of knowledge on nhl rules , then non trades it goes on and on. if we had qualified people in the management and president positions we would be a couple years ahead already compared to this current group.   Question Does Benning come across as a high IQ kinda guy????   Maybe like Quinn, Gillis etc???  NO.  And as for competing hard every night that's fine but it comes down to W's and they don't have the man power even close to whats needed.     Teams don't have to play a 60 minute game against the Canucks thatsw why it appears they can hang around.  Your being fooled

I think you're watching different management than the rest of us.

Quinn was awesome, really talented trader.

Gillis made a lot of mistakes and really rode on the back of the team that Burke and then Nonis had assembled. He was more suited to general administration than trades.

Benning has been handcuffed by a lot of contracts that had NTC's. He's doing a pretty good job of restocking what was an empty prospect cupboard.

18 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Benning has been handcuffed by a lot of contracts that had NTC's. He's doing a pretty good job of restocking what was an empty prospect cupboard.

He signed as many as Gillis in two years. Eriksson! Move that puppy. Try to figure out how? 

FYI the year Benning took over the Canuck prospect pool was ranked #8 in the league, a year under Benning and it ranked #26, see what it is now.

35 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

He signed as many as Gillis in two years. Eriksson! Move that puppy. Try to figure out how? 

FYI the year Benning took over the Canuck prospect pool was ranked #8 in the league, a year under Benning and it ranked #26, see what it is now.

Show me a source that show the Canucks ever being at #8. According to one mainstream source, we currently have 4 guys that rank in the top 50 prospects, so I'd also like to see your source that ranks us at #26!

8 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Show me a source that show the Canucks ever being at #8. According to one mainstream source, we currently have 4 guys that rank in the top 50 prospects, so I'd also like to see your source that ranks us at #26!

It was TSN 3 years ago. Look it up yourself.

I wonder if most posters know how much I wish I was wrong about this post, I wish I was wrong, but it needed something to happen to change the most likely outcomes, changes that just aren't/haven't happened. So predictable.

Archived