The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Offer sheet to Orlov

There are a lot of bodies on D, but I still feel we are missing a solid #4 guy. I am a huge fan of Hutton, but it is a lot to ask of a sophomore to jump right into that role, and I don't like Sbisa there either. 

Orlov:

Is mobile, aggressive and displays all-round ability from the back end. Can put up solid offensive numbers and also play a physical game from the back end. Is adept at hitting opponents in open ice.

Recently turned 25 years old, scored 29 points last year. According to nhlnumbers.com the Caps have 2.8 million cap space. 

Next year they have Kuznetsov as a RFA. Alzner and Oshie are UFAs, two players I can imagine they would like to bring back. 

Would a two year deal worth 3.7 million dollars per year get it done? Canucks lose a 2nd round pick, which is not bad for a player like Orlov. Also at 3.7 he is getting paid fairly for what he brings. 

Edler Tanev
Orlov Gudbranson
Hutton Sbisa 

This top 6 looks pretty good! I think the Caps match and figure out the cap situation, but could be worth a try. 

43 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

ya plus we need to sign guddy, hutt and tryamkin and horvat in summer that will cost 12-18 mill for though four  perfect that burr and miller  and one of dorsett or sbisa off to vegas  off books 

I would be very surprised to see LV take Dorsett or Sbisa.  They also need young players for their farm system and other teams might be exposing players that might interest them more.

Btw re cap space - need to carve out the ~2M of Markstrom's increase and the cost to get a backup goalie to replace Miller and another player to replace Burrows. 

I've always assumed that Orlov would want to stay on the team that has Ovechkin, Kuznetzov, and Burakovsky, and therefore would not sign an offer sheet.  If you were to entice him you'd have to go to 5 mill +, and I would expect that the Caps are already looking at a $4 x 6 type of deal, so....good luck.

I'm hoping that Horvat wouldn't sign one either, but that's all the more reason to give him a generous deal as soon as possible.  But I'm not sure that he could do it yet - don't you need to be an RFA, not a pending RFA?  Juolevi is signed so he can't sign an offer sheet for at least 3 years, so no worries there.  

56 minutes ago, D-Money said:

So...who of Edler, Tanev, Gudbranson, or Orlov do we then expose to the expansion draft?

You know, the thing happening right around the entry draft where we would have to blow our picks on for said offer sheet?

Clearly we're trading Edler at the deadline - haven't you seen all the CDC proposals?

But that was one of the first thoughts in my head as well, right after offer sheets don't work and the Caps would match that amount anyway and figure it out later. If we were to look at Orlov, I could see moving Sbisa for him with the selling point he's under contract and they'll have issues with cap potentially, but then the Caps don't take that without more incentive either.

I figured the Caps would match, but given their lack of cap space I thought maybe they would give up their #6 dman from last year and take the second round pick. 

I don't really see JB making any changes on D given the number of bodies, but looking at the numbers I thought Orlov could be a nice fit. 

A top six forward is more likely, although I wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't see any additions. 

On August 25, 2016 at 1:08 AM, mll said:

I would be very surprised to see LV take Dorsett or Sbisa.  They also need young players for their farm system and other teams might be exposing players that might interest them more.

Btw re cap space - need to carve out the ~2M of Markstrom's increase and the cost to get a backup goalie to replace Miller and another player to replace Burrows. 

ya juolevi, boeser and demko will be nhl ready next yr on entry level deals thats 3 players for burrows contract. even if vegas wants young players they need vets as well dont think they wont grab dorsett or sbisa. Canucks wont be giving up our young future core they will be getting rid of vets that dont fit in longterm burr miller hansen sbisa dorsett edler could possibly be traded at deadline.

we build core around      horvat, virtanen, gaunce, baertchi, juolevi, hutton, tryamkin, demko, boeser, guddy, rodin these guys are going nowhere  

Archived