The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Teemu Pulkkinen

Noble 6

The Canucks are looking for a top-6 forward to insulate Baertschi. What about targeting Teemu Pulkkinen out of Detroit? He is a RW but we could shift Eriksson over to LW. Pulkkinen is a sniper with a BIG shot.

Spoiler

I'm not quite sure about the trade value of Pulkkinen though. Detroit seems to have a set core of forwards that Pulkkinen might not be a part of. I'm not quite sure, but I believe Detroit needs some depth on defense.

To DET:

Biega

3rd Round Pick 2017

To VAN:

Pulkkinen

I'm not sure if that value is exactly correct.

Adding Pulkkinen would give us another scoring threat in our top-6. Playing with a skilled player like Eriksson could give him the chance he needs to break out. He would also help our powerplay on either the first or second unit. Baertschi would slide down to the 4th line to play with Granlund, which is what WD wants.

Forwards:

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen

Eriksson - Sutter - Pulkkinen

Burrows - Horvat - Etem

Baertschi - Granlund - Dorsett

Virtanen

Rodin (conditioning stint)

Powerplay 2:

Baertschi - Sutter - Horvat

Pulkkinen - Hutton

What do you guys think?

Pulkinnen is out with a shoulder injury.  He's also not an established NHLer and has been scratched numerous times because he can't play defence and doesn't go in the hard areas.  It's hard to believe that WD would even play him.

Dorsett is a poor linemate choice for Baer.  As Benning says he needs to play with skilled linemates (felt like he was taking a shot at Calgary) and now that his playmaking is finally coming back he needs a goal scorer on his line if he is to take the next step.  That's just not Dorsett.  

Detroit is a good trading partner for a team that has a lot of cap space (which Van doesn't).  They have oodles of old vets with long term, expensive contracts and are still +4m over the cap.  Next year is even worse, with a few young rfa's to be signed and very little salary leaving the team.  Basically, they are a mess.

Unless the Canucks can somehow unload enough $ contracts to be able to acquire a Red Wing salary dump + maybe...Tartar, there just can't be a trade with them.

19 hours ago, mll said:

Pulkinnen is out with a shoulder injury.  He's also not an established NHLer and has been scratched numerous times because he can't play defence and doesn't go in the hard areas.  It's hard to believe that WD would even play him.  

This. If Teemu's AHL coach, whom he scored buckets of goals for in 2014-15, can't trust him with a regular roster spot, which NHL coach is going to?

MAJOR boom-or-bust with Pulk, and if he's already having injury problems, it's more likely the latter.

I'd like Pulkkinen in our prospects pipeline, but like a few have said he's only had a bit of time in the N. From what I've seen he reminds me a bit of Raymond in that inconsistent .5 PPG with an intriguing ceiling, but there's no way he slots into 2nd line minutes. Not this year, anyway.

On 9/8/2016 at 9:42 PM, Where'd Luongo? said:

I could see them counter offering Pulkkinen for Gaunce, which I might be ok with even though I do like Gaunce.

If the cost is low like this I'd easily make that deal.  Zalewski or Grenier could easily do what Gaunce does IMO (don't see him as much more than a 3rd liner at best), while the team could use another scorer with a pure shot who may be NHL-ready (not sure how the team views Boeser in this).  This should also fit the Baertschi/ Vey/ Markstrom mold of making trades for guys who may be ready given opportunities, and if Jim sees Teemu as a similar guy I'd definitely say go for him. 

Archived