The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Montreal LS Top 4 - Edler for picks?

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

See that I would agree with.  MTL doesn't have the necessary forward to compliment or fill in the loss of Gallagher.  For us he's not enough of a return.  Gallagher is a non starter.

Edler certainly helps MTL no question, but it starts with their 1st and then it's the throw in of Juulsen/McCarron etc to even it out.

I just don't see the trade with MTL from either teams' perspective.  

Factor in the cap and it makes it even less likely. There's just not a match that works for BOTH teams 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I was ready to crucify him after the game against Chicago where he was woefully underperforming, but after reading some of the other PGT comments it was duly pointed out (I forget by who) that Edler was playing way too much during that game, and that he was spent.

Considering how the defense has been constructed now, Desjardins should have spread out the minutes more between the other two pairings, and he would have got more out of Edler, without Tortsing him to death on the ice.

Just know that the second he goes, should he waive our numbers drop hard and we go from a bad team to lottery bets.

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just know that the second he goes, should he waive our numbers drop hard and we go from a bad team to lottery bets.

True. He needs to have his minutes managed better now that the defense is a far more evenly distributed corps now. He has had one of his most consistent starts to a season that I've seen from him in some time.

Willie should be upping Gudbranson and Hutton, and Tryamkin and Sbisa's minutes as both pairings have proven to be able to handle a greater workload.

If Weber and Bartkowski were still here, not so much.

3 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Which is why they don't trade him. Moving Gallagher for Edler creates a much bigger hole on Montreal than it fills. 

Exactly.  Taking Gallagher off MTL makes them worse.  Adding Edler would in no way make up for the chasm created by Gallaghers absence.  This trade only makes sense for MTL if they are not taking core pieces away from their current roster.  Whether or not the value is fair isn't the point.  The trade must address both teams needs otherwise it is pointless. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I just wanna say.  if a top 2 defenceman on most teams in the league (no matter what you kids say he's an awesome #2 supporting or elite #3-4) cannot net a 5 foot 9; 188 pound 43 point per season average winger (so far) while still being under moderate contract for this and next season in a 1-1 deal

Than either you guys hate Edler and cannot see his worth, or over value the return on said player.

If Edler hits the market he's got serious value no matter what this forum says.

It might JUST be me, but if Edler couldn't net a Gallagher in a 1-1 deal than I'd walk and enjoy the bounty elsewhere which would most likely be far more lucrative than simply Gallagher.

And sorry Qwijibo, I know you've some bias here; but that's my opinion.  There's no WAY Edler has less value than Russel did last season.

If we are just talking value.  Yes 1 for 1 MTL does it and they win the trade.  However Gallagher's role on that team extends past his point total in a similar way that say Hansen does for us.  I think for MTL to move him they would need a similar type player back because of how Gallagher influences his teams play.  A lot of MTL fans will say that he is one of their most important pieces because of the style of hockey he plays.  Team chemistry is important for success and I don't think MTL would want to take away a leader from their locker room even if it brought them Edler. 

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

See that I would agree with.  MTL doesn't have the necessary forward to compliment or fill in the loss of Gallagher.  For us he's not enough of a return.  Gallagher is a non starter.

Edler certainly helps MTL no question, but it starts with their 1st and then it's the throw in of Juulsen/McCarron etc to even it out.

I just don't see the trade with MTL from either teams' perspective.  

Sorry should have kept reading.  Ignore my previous post lol.  You already covered it here. 

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I disagree 100%. The Country Club needs to be closed due to a complete overhaul. Its starts with him. I bet our numbers go up.

Archived