The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

RIP Greg Lake

RUPERTKBD

Seriously, 2016 can just frack right off!:angry:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

Greg Lake, who fronted both King Crimson and Emerson, Lake and Palmer, has died aged 69.

One of the founding fathers of progressive rock, the British musician is known for songs including In the Court of the Crimson King and his solo hit I Believe in Father Christmas.

He died on Wednesday after "a long and stubborn battle with cancer", said his manager.

The news comes nine months after Lake's band-mate Keith Emerson died.

Keyboardist Emerson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, coroners in the US said.

Not only a great player, he also wrote and performed my all time favorite Chistmas song "I believe in Father Christmas", which we'll probably be hearing a lot of (Along with Lucky Man) for the next while.

RIP Greg. 

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Seriously, 2016 can just frack right off!:angry:

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38251936

Not only a great player, he also wrote and performed my all time favorite Chistmas song "I believe in Father Christmas", which we'll probably be hearing a lot of (Along with Lucky Man) for the next while.

RIP Greg. 

Always loved this song, one of the best Christmas songs (Maybe because its hopeful, cynical, and talks of rain). I remember a few years ago driving over the Lions Gate Bridge as the snow was falling, and this song was blasting in the radio. (Thanks to the DJ for a moment of great synchronicity.)

RIP, screw 2016 and screw Cancer!

Thanks Greg, you leave behind great music. 

Oh, what a "Lucky Man" he was (and we are for having heard him).  RIP Greg.  I'll miss your music.

"I did write “Lucky Man” when I was 12. My mum bought me a guitar and I was very lucky in that sense, the answer was yes instead of no. There was the first bit of luck because had the answer been no, my life would have probably been totally different. I got the guitar and I learned the first four chords that were D, G, A Minor and E Minor and with those chords I wrote “Lucky Man”. I truly cannot remember everything about writing it other than I think it struck me as being a sort of minstrel type of event with these chords, G, D, E Minor and A Minor, gave me this sort of minstrel feeling. “Lucky Man” has kind of an almost medieval element tone to it. It is like a medieval folk song in a way. That was the essence of the idea. I wrote the song in its entirety and I finished it and I remembered it. As far as its significance regarding me and how lucky I was, I suppose it does really. You cannot disassociate the tune, the song has been very lucky for me. It came about because of a piece of good fortune, which was my mother giving me the guitar and it has been lucky for me ever since. I would say if I was going to be honest, I have been very lucky in life. I certainly have been."  - From Wiki.

CARL PALMER STATEMENT ON THE PASSING OF GREG LAKE

It is with great sadness that I must now say goodbye to my friend and fellow band-mate, Greg Lake.

Greg’s soaring voice and skill as a musician will be remembered by all who knew his music and recordings he made with ELP and King Crimson. I have fond memories of those great years we had in the 1970s and many memorable shows we performed together.

Having lost Keith this year as well, has made this particularly hard for all of us. As Greg sang at the end of Pictures At An Exhibition, “death is life.” His music can now live forever in the hearts of all who loved him.

Carl Palmer
December 8, 2016

Archived