The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Tankers to face the TRUTH.

hearditall

21 minutes ago, J.R. said:

No, they sucked because their previous rebuild efforts from a decade ago sucked and all they really have left from that is what, Kadri? They had pretty much nothing to rebuild with or around.

No key/elite veterans, no culture, nothing. That's what happens when you don't build off the previous culture. Is there any culture or legacy left from Sundin etc in Toronto?

We're not in the same boat so it should come as no surprise that we did not do the same rebuild.

You make a very good point about foundation. I have to agree.

My hatred for Toronto disables me from rational discussion about them.

2 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The selling off of Hansen and Burrows. Is that not Tanking?

If Toronto was out of the playoffs would they have not sold of vets? Because they were into a playoff position they decided to add instead.   

Wouldn't say so. Burrows and Hansen is particular was let go, as otherwise either would get picked up for free with no return in the expansion draft.

If there wasn't an expansion draft, I'm sure Hansen at least would still be here.

Throughout the season Canucks has tried to get in the playoffs, but injuries and the rapid demise of the Sedins stopped that. Canucks have changed their team over the last 3 years, but has always tried to remain competitive. 

Tanking is playing a team that has next to no chance of winning games, with the sole purpose of getting a high draft pick... I understand the reason for doing so, but just can not accept that failure or lack of trying is being rewarded... to me it cheating or poor sportsmanship. In the end I think it'll ruin the game due to lack of interest... Who cares about games if people don't go out to win?

19 minutes ago, appleboy said:

That all makes sense and is what we should use for future conversations.

So what do you do if you are trying to rebuild but have no depth in your organization. What do you do if the previous management have stripped it down to the point where there is no youth to bring in. Do you prop things up with some expensive UFA thus creating a cap issue or can you just go with what you have. Is that tanking or rebuilding?

I want a rebuild but once it is clear that we are out of the playoffs I will gladly reduce my pride to the point of tanking for the last 20 games.:lol:

Lol. Fair enough.

I get bitter over losses, I don't mind so much when the players are giving a 100% and lose. It's the guys that should be leading and aren't that will enrage me for the next 20 games. Eriksson and Edler are on the top of that list, couple of others that shall remain unnamed for now.

15 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The selling off of Hansen and Burrows. Is that not Tanking?

I hate to use this term - asset management. We'd have lost Burr to free agency and Hansen to expansion. 

Both moves were no brainers all things considered.

8 minutes ago, luckylager said:

I hate to use this term - asset management. We'd have lost Burr to free agency and Hansen to expansion. 

Both moves were no brainers all things considered.

Lucky..I remember making a couple lengthy threads(about Jan 2015) advocating a UFA/vet sell-off. I saw a storm cloud coming. Took some lumps on these boards I can tell you. Acceptance/refutation of my idea was about 35/65%, so was "feelin' shame".

Looking back now, it probably all boiled down to how FAST the twins would taper off. In all honesty, not sure how anyone could know precisely(considering their fitness levels, & unique play-symbiosis-thingy)?

Don't think any of us should fixate on the rear-view mirror, any more. For it seems everyone's now on-board for the path ahead...

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Rebuilding gradually and tanking are completely different. I'm noticing some "pro tankers" stating that we're finally doing what they wanted.!?

We've been rebuilding, moving old contracts for young players and picks is traditional rebuild stuff, it's not tanking. The team has never been blown up and management has never iced an intentionally uncompetitive team - tanking.

Still not tanking, it's rebuilding. 

Exactly... Tanking would be unloading Sedins, Miller, Le, Edler, Tanev, 

16 minutes ago, spook007 said:

to me it cheating or poor sportsmanship. In the end I think it'll ruin the game due to lack of interest... Who cares about games if people don't go out to win?

Some people on CDC can't see past today never mind that far ahead...

4 minutes ago, hearditall said:

Exactly... Tanking would be unloading Sedins, Miller, Le, Edler, Tanev, 

So you don't think that trading Hansen and Burrows has reduced the potential for this club to win games for the rest of the year?

47 minutes ago, appleboy said:

They have been saying that they were a playoff hopeful team and that is why they signed LE.

Their goal was to make the playoffs; same every year.  They signed LE to make the team better, and as seen this week, because other vets were likely on their way out.

You do not give Sutter that kind of contract if you are not pushing for the playoffs.

Players are paid what they're worth.

You do not trade a player like Hansen if you are a team pushing for the playoffs. (Hansen will be a solid player for four to five years and would have resigned.)

You do when you are likely to lose him for nothing in the upcoming expansion draft.

#assetmanagement -- remember?

Last year they held back on making a decision on Hammer because they had delusions of a playoff berth.

Hamhuis had suffered a major injury, and up until the TDL period they were right in the thick of the race.

They have clearly changed their focus to a full on rebuild and I think we will see that become clearer as we move forward.

The trading of two role players hardly means a change of focus, let alone the start of "The Big Rebuild."
If you've listened to the interviews, you'd know they've said the same thing since day one.  The message is the same, plan is the same, this is just a continuation of it.

Very clear.

Coming soon -- Rebuild Year 4

3 minutes ago, appleboy said:

So you don't think that trading Hansen and Burrows has reduced the potential for this club to win games for the rest of the year?

OF COURSE IT HAS :wacko: but if u weren't listening to the above here it is for U AGAIN, BURROWS WAS a UFA AT THE END OF THIS SEASON & HANSEN WAS GOING TO VEGAS FOR NOTHING..............So instead of NOTHING we got SOMETHING which was more than MOST thought we were able to get............:towel:

2 minutes ago, hearditall said:

This explains that you've obviously accepted losing in life. :lol:

So is a personal attack permitted on this site?

Do you know anything about me?

I figure once a person starts to attack someone personally that means they no they have lost the conversation!:rolleyes:

1 minute ago, hearditall said:

OF COURSE IT HAS :wacko: but if u weren't listening to the above here it is for U AGAIN, BURROWS WAS a UFA AT THE END OF THIS SEASON & HANSEN WAS GOING TO VEGAS FOR NOTHING..............So instead of NOTHING we got SOMETHING which was more than MOST thought we were able to get............:towel:

Linden was quoted as saying they had a plan in place to protect Hansen if they could not move him.

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

So is a personal attack permitted on this site?

Do you know anything about me?

I figure once a person starts to attack someone personally that means they no they have lost the conversation!:rolleyes:

No u said that U accept tanking... That means U accept losing... NO???

News Flash: Professional athletes don't accept losing...:sadno:

That's my point. Don't take things so personal kid. It's just chatting...::D

Just trying to answer your Q's...:)

5 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Linden was quoted as saying they had a plan in place to protect Hansen if they could not move him.

Then Granlund or Baer would've been gone... ??? Either way we were going to LOSE.  So this way we WIN...

Archived