The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Tankers to face the TRUTH.

hearditall

3 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

We have used 2/3 salary retention spots (Hansen, Luongo). Even if we retained on 1 of the sedins contracts, that is still 10.5 million dollars of salary changing hands

As I stated multiple time

NO due to Morals

NO due to it not being logical

We retained on Hansen?

4 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

We have used 2/3 salary retention spots (Hansen, Luongo). Even if we retained on 1 of the sedins contracts, that is still 10.5 million dollars of salary changing hands

As I stated multiple time

NO due to Morals

NO due to it not being logical

LE has a NMC that keeps him here until the twins deal is done. I think. At that point we will be done with the Hansen retention . So one more year and then they can get creative if he still sucks.

43 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's kind of my point about Eriksson.  Will this new direction get him to ask (quietly) for a trade?  Is there even potential to trade him with that contract?

I'm guessing that Eriksson will be just fine with it. He's gotten his retirement contract and if the the team is rebuilding then playoffs should be out of the question for the forseeable future. I might be wrong but Eriksson strikes me as the kind of player who doesn't mind an extended offseason. 

Not sure where else to drop this thought (provoked by a few posts, articles I've read lately, not just you Rugby) but I'll park it here.

For those claiming victory for Benning selling at the deadline (saying they were calling for this all along) Doesn't acquiring and/or developing Horvat, Baer, Granlund, Sutter, Hutton, Tryamkin, Stetcher, Gudbrandson... heck even Eriksson, Megna and Chaput facilitate the trading of Burrows and Hansen?  Also trying to move Hamhuis last year and letting him walk?  

Further, the team may not be good, but there's a professionalism and work ethic in place that seems like the kind of situation perfect for a Goldobin to be slotted into for success.  This has been engrained in that new "core" (young and old) and at the very least there's some confidence that we aren't going to Oiler out even though we may scrape the bottom of the standings for he next year or two.  

I have no idea if it was TL / JB's vision all along... but I'm happy with the way it played out if delaying the rebuild meant Bo rubbing shoulders with Jannik and Burr while he cut his teeth in the league. 

Just my 0.2.

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Not sure where else to drop this thought (provoked by a few posts, articles I've read lately, not just you Rugby) but I'll park it here.

For those claiming victory for Benning selling at the deadline (saying they were calling for this all along) Doesn't acquiring and/or developing Horvat, Baer, Granlund, Sutter, Hutton, Tryamkin, Stetcher, Gudbrandson... heck even Eriksson, Megna and Chaput facilitate the trading of Burrows and Hansen?  Also trying to move Hamhuis last year and letting him walk?  

Further, the team may not be good, but there's a professionalism and work ethic in place that seems like the kind of situation perfect for a Goldobin to be slotted into for success.  This has been engrained in that new "core" (young and old) and at the very least there's some confidence that we aren't going to Oiler out even though we may scrape the bottom of the standings for he next year or two.  

I have no idea if it was TL / JB's vision all along... but I'm happy with the way it played out if delaying the rebuild meant Bo rubbing shoulders with Jannik and Burr while he cut his teeth in the league. 

Just my 0.2.

I think you're bringing up a good point.  Are you implying JB not trading Hamhuis for scraps last year made his position this year stronger, so he was able to negotiate a better return?  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think you're bringing up a good point.  Are you implying JB not trading Hamhuis for scraps last year made his position this year stronger, so he was able to negotiate a better return?  

Haha, no.  I awkwardly added that on there.  I was just trying to say that he was able to move/walk away from Hamhuis last year because of the younger guys he's added.

Im genuinely curious if his stubborn stand at the deadline last year helped the returns this year.  We certainly got things done in a (relatively) quick manner this time around.  Maybe Jim and his peers learned something. 

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

Haha, no.  I awkwardly added that on there.  I was just trying to say that he was able to move/walk away from Hamhuis last year because of the younger guys he's added.

Im genuinely curious if his stubborn stand at the deadline last year helped the returns this year.  We certainly got things done in a (relatively) quick manner this time around.  Maybe Jim and his peers learned something. 

JB returned pretty good prospects, when it was mostly just picks that other guys returned.  And I'm still giving you credit for connecting last year's TDL to this one's success:)

6 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

You could certainly argue that the team culture that started with the old core has been successfully passed down to the younger players.  Benning no longer has to hang on to the old core because the Horvats, Granlunds, Baertschis etc will pass it down to new people.

Benning is free to move culture carriers like Burrows and Hansen.  The returns are better than expected.

Just now, Crabcakes said:

You could certainly argue that the team culture that started with the old core has been successfully passed down to the younger players.  Benning no longer has to hang on to the old core because the Horvats, Granlunds, Baertschis etc will pass it down to new people.

More like this years  older core has taught the kids how to lose and become a 28th overall team.....

Time to move these vets before losing becomes learned for our kids.... 

Another good reason Virt is down in Utica....   Can give him a fresh start on the club when we have more offensive strength and can start to string some wins together...

1 minute ago, Crabcakes said:

Benning is free to move culture carriers like Burrows and Hansen.  The returns are better than expected.

Absolutely... That is a more concise version to what I was trying to say.

Cheers!  Maybe a bit too much Hump Day Vino tonight.

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

More like this years  older core has taught the kids how to lose and become a 28th overall team.....

Another good reason Virt is down in Utica....   Can give him a fresh start on the club when we have more offensive strength and can start to string some wins together...

You've contradicted yourself here, though.  

Are we weak because of the veteran leadership or a lack of offensive strength (skill?).

I guess it's not mutually exclusive but to me it's clearly the lack of skill (and experience on the blue line) rather than professionalism and effort.

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

You've contradicted yourself here, though.  

Are we weak because of the veteran leadership or a lack of offensive strength (skill?).

I guess it's not mutually exclusive but to me it's clearly the lack of skill (and experience on the blue line) rather than professionalism and effort.

Hard to compete when you top players get out played by your oppositions top players on a most nights basis.....

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Absolutely... That is a more concise version to what I was trying to say.

Cheers!  Maybe a bit too much Hump Day Vino tonight.

You're in Roma?  I never noticed that before.  It's awfully late there.  9 hours ahead of Vancouver isn't it?

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

The old guys, especially the Sedin's are losing it and other than Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund the younger players aren't ready.  That's why we see fringe players like Skille, Chaput, Megna and Boucher populating the line up

5 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

The old guys, especially the Sedin's are losing it and other than Horvat, Baertschi, Granlund the younger players aren't ready.  That's why we see fringe players like Skille, Chaput, Megna and Boucher populating the line up

Yes. 

Our first line is actually a second line now in production...  They were a top first line in the NHL in their prime but those days are long ago......

Our second line is a third line in experience....  they have potential though....

Our 3rd line is  a  4th line without the grit. Too many  3-4   tweeners here.... 

Our 4th line is AHL material......

Time to rebuild this puppy.....

Archived