The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Time for Tankers to face the TRUTH.

hearditall

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

The thing is, how you can deny that it isn't being done correctly in seeing that we ARE getting decent returns for our vets?

I mean, many of our "fans" were ready to throw the vets to the curb for a 6" sub.   The timing was obviously part of this, in allowing Burr and Hansen to really get back on track and showcase themselves.  

I do believe the team thought it could retool on the fly and you just really don't know until you watch it playing out.  When you bring young players in/up, you have to see, first, how they will respond.  Veterans are important on the team because they have to groom the young'uns...look at Bo and how he is flourishing.  And he has said that Burr (and others) have had a huge impact on him.  So that's part of it.  If you strip down a team and plug in a bunch of 20 year olds, it could do more harm than good.  Allowing them to "just play" by taking some of the pressure off them WITH veterans taking the brunt of the responsibility isn't such a bad game plan in my view.  I think it's genius actually.  It's just that some don't have the patience and want an explosion to happen.

I'm happy with the return we got for Burrows and Hansen. The rebuild in now in full swing, so our future should be looking much more exciting.  Yes, we certainly (during a rebuild) need a veteran presence.  But, how many veterans did we need?  Did we need Loui Errikson, on top of having the Twins?  

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The thing is, how you can deny that it isn't being done correctly in seeing that we ARE getting decent returns for our vets?

I mean, many of our "fans" were ready to throw the vets to the curb for a 6" sub.   The timing was obviously part of this, in allowing Burr and Hansen to really get back on track and showcase themselves.  

I do believe the team thought it could retool on the fly and you just really don't know until you watch it playing out.  When you bring young players in/up, you have to see, first, how they will respond.  Veterans are important on the team because they have to groom the young'uns...look at Bo and how he is flourishing.  And he has said that Burr (and others) have had a huge impact on him.  So that's part of it.  If you strip down a team and plug in a bunch of 20 year olds, it could do more harm than good.  Allowing them to "just play" by taking some of the pressure off them WITH veterans taking the brunt of the responsibility isn't such a bad game plan in my view.  I think it's genius actually.  It's just that some don't have the patience and want an explosion to happen.

The biggest loss was that the last two drafts were two of the deadest in years and had generational players at the top. Looking backwards never works so we all need to be happy that it has started and be supportive going forward.

12 hours ago, hearditall said:

The next few years of high draft picks, etc. etc....

LOL ,I have been listening to the media the last couple of days and everyone is saying that the team is clearly changing their overall direction. They are even having talks about moving Tanev and possibly Edler. What a shame that they were not a little more progressive because you would be looking at a better list of players from two very deep drafts.

I think your topic should say "Time for None Tankers to face the truth".

The Tank crowd was RIGHT all along.    :P 

Re-posting because of mass delusion by media sleazoids and their oh so bright followers.

"We needed to bring in a new core group of players in the 22-28 range," Benning recalled. "There was a gap in talent that needed to be filled so we could be competitive and the kids could develop in a competitive environment."

Five weeks later, Benning went to work on the draft floor in Philadelphia, making four trades and adding right-wingers Derek Dorsett (28), Nick Bonino (26) and Linden Vey (23) along with defencemen Luca Sbisa (25) and first-, second- and third-round picks in that draft.

He would later acquire left-winger Sven Baertschi from Calgary at the March 2015 trade deadline and dealt Bonino that summer to Pittsburgh for centre Brandon Sutter. Last February, Benning added more depth up the middle, picking up Markus Granlund from Calgary for 2013 first-round pick Hunter Shinkaruk.

Vancouver returned to the playoffs in 2015 following a 48-win campaign under Desjardins, but injuries factored in the team's 31-38-13 performance last season. According to the website Man-Games Lost, the Canucks felt the second highest impact in the league of injuries to forwards and defencemen.

These days, Benning feels better about his healthier and younger team despite the fact only one player from the 2009, 2010 and 2011 drafts remains in the organization — right-winger Alex Grenier, who leads the American Hockey League's Utica Comets in scoring with 35 points in 41 games.

"We've drafted well the last few years," Benning said. "We've got [2015 first-round pick] Brock Boeser and [2016 first-rounder] Olli Juolevi coming. We drafted some other players from the third to the fifth round that are playing well in [centre Adam] Gaudette and [right-winger] Will Lockwood. I like the depth in our prospect pool.

Markstrom being groomed to be No. 1

"I think we've overhauled our defence. Alex Edler is now our oldest defenceman at 30 … and Luca Sbisa's really come into his own this year and he's 26." Tanev is 27, injured Erik Gudbranson and Ben Hutton are 24 and 23, respectively, and Troy Stecher and Nikita Tryamkin are 22.

In goal, Markstrom is being groomed to take over from 36-year-old Ryan Miller and Benning noted Thatcher Demko, 21, "has come along nicely" this season as a first-year pro with Utica, sporting a .901 save percentage in his first 22 games.

Up front, Bo Horvat, 21, is tied with Henrik Sedin in team scoring with 32 points, Baertschi is second in goals (13) and Benning is high on 20-year-old right-winger Jake Virtanen, whom the Canucks drafted sixth overall in 2014. The six-foot-one, 208-pounder started the season with Vancouver and picked up an assist in 10 games while averaging only 10 minutes of ice time per game.

"We just felt for his development he was better suited playing 15 to 18 minutes a night in Utica and playing the power play," said Benning. "He's not scoring like he wants [five goals, nine points in 32 games] but his overall game has improved. When we move forward [in our rebuild] he'll be part of our group."

So the not so bright bulbs actually believe that Benning made these latest trades because they whined for three years. Hilariously delusional.

They actually stated what they were trying to accomplish every season and did so. Just because media clowns and their gullible followers didn't whine for the previous moves doesn't mean it wasn't part of their long-term plans.

23 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Re-posting because of mass delusion by media sleazoids and their oh so bright followers.

"We needed to bring in a new core group of players in the 22-28 range," Benning recalled. "There was a gap in talent that needed to be filled so we could be competitive and the kids could develop in a competitive environment."

Five weeks later, Benning went to work on the draft floor in Philadelphia, making four trades and adding right-wingers Derek Dorsett (28), Nick Bonino (26) and Linden Vey (23) along with defencemen Luca Sbisa (25) and first-, second- and third-round picks in that draft.

He would later acquire left-winger Sven Baertschi from Calgary at the March 2015 trade deadline and dealt Bonino that summer to Pittsburgh for centre Brandon Sutter. Last February, Benning added more depth up the middle, picking up Markus Granlund from Calgary for 2013 first-round pick Hunter Shinkaruk.

Vancouver returned to the playoffs in 2015 following a 48-win campaign under Desjardins, but injuries factored in the team's 31-38-13 performance last season. According to the website Man-Games Lost, the Canucks felt the second highest impact in the league of injuries to forwards and defencemen.

These days, Benning feels better about his healthier and younger team despite the fact only one player from the 2009, 2010 and 2011 drafts remains in the organization — right-winger Alex Grenier, who leads the American Hockey League's Utica Comets in scoring with 35 points in 41 games.

"We've drafted well the last few years," Benning said. "We've got [2015 first-round pick] Brock Boeser and [2016 first-rounder] Olli Juolevi coming. We drafted some other players from the third to the fifth round that are playing well in [centre Adam] Gaudette and [right-winger] Will Lockwood. I like the depth in our prospect pool.

Markstrom being groomed to be No. 1

"I think we've overhauled our defence. Alex Edler is now our oldest defenceman at 30 … and Luca Sbisa's really come into his own this year and he's 26." Tanev is 27, injured Erik Gudbranson and Ben Hutton are 24 and 23, respectively, and Troy Stecher and Nikita Tryamkin are 22.

In goal, Markstrom is being groomed to take over from 36-year-old Ryan Miller and Benning noted Thatcher Demko, 21, "has come along nicely" this season as a first-year pro with Utica, sporting a .901 save percentage in his first 22 games.

Up front, Bo Horvat, 21, is tied with Henrik Sedin in team scoring with 32 points, Baertschi is second in goals (13) and Benning is high on 20-year-old right-winger Jake Virtanen, whom the Canucks drafted sixth overall in 2014. The six-foot-one, 208-pounder started the season with Vancouver and picked up an assist in 10 games while averaging only 10 minutes of ice time per game.

"We just felt for his development he was better suited playing 15 to 18 minutes a night in Utica and playing the power play," said Benning. "He's not scoring like he wants [five goals, nine points in 32 games] but his overall game has improved. When we move forward [in our rebuild] he'll be part of our group."

So the not so bright bulbs actually believe that Benning made these latest trades because they whined for three years. Hilariously delusional.

They actually stated what they were trying to accomplish every season and did so. Just because media clowns and their gullible followers didn't whine for the previous moves doesn't mean it wasn't part of their long-term plans.

Nice try.

The truth is that they were trying to prop the team up and stay in the playoffs. They did not want to go down the road of a full rebuild.

Now they can see that they are heading there anyway. The problem is that they are chosing to do it in a weak draft year.

You can spin this how you want and I can spin it my way.

16 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I wonder if Benning and Linden now will publicly apologize to Canuck fans for failing to rebuild properly until now.....

That would be a great gesture and a step in the right direction. 

The irony of all of this is that they came close to making it work. We as fans get to use hindsight . Lets say they could look forward and see that Tryamkin and Stecher were going to help to fill in the defense. Lets say they picked Tkachuk   over Juolevi.  Lets say they could have foreseen the major drop off from the twins then maybe they would have taken Ehlers instead of looking for size up front.

If Ehlers and Tkachuk were on the club right now, do think they would be blowing it up?

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Veterans are important on the team because they have to groom the young'uns...look at Bo and how he is flourishing.  And he has said that Burr (and others) have had a huge impact on him.  So that's part of it.  If you strip down a team and plug in a bunch of 20 year olds, it could do more harm than good.  Allowing them to "just play" by taking some of the pressure off them WITH veterans taking the brunt of the responsibility isn't such a bad game plan in my view.  I think it's genius actually.  It's just that some don't have the patience and want an explosion to happen.

Thank you Debs, took the words right out of my mouth. God bless you girl...:towel:

4 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

The thing is, how you can deny that it isn't being done correctly in seeing that we ARE getting decent returns for our vets?  Not perfect but, at this point, it seems it's on track.

I mean, many of our "fans" were ready to throw the vets to the curb for a 6" sub.   The timing was obviously part of this, in allowing Burr and Hansen to really get back on track and showcase themselves.  And we maximized their value.

People get "programmed" like sheeple at times...they hear "fire [ ]" or "trade [ ]" but the people in a position to negotiate those things work on them.  It doesn't just BOOM, happen.

Even Ryan Miller....you don't think that his ability to make some killer and key saves isn't taking the heat off players who may have blown coverage or not been positioned properly?  We want the young players to be able to make mistakes, to learn and to have others who can lead by example in helping them with that.  

This whole Quote is just 1000% TRUE...Every single word.....:towel:

46 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I wonder if Benning and Linden now will publicly apologize to Canuck fans for failing to rebuild properly until now.....

That would be a great gesture and a step in the right direction. 

Apologize? They only person they have to consider is Francesco and obviously he is happy or Benning wouldn't be there. The goal is to make a Stanley cup team not worry what fans want. If a team is winning the fans will always be there. If a team is losing the main fans will still be there too. That is in a established long time hockey market like the original six teams and Canadian teams. If a team loses long enough then the fans won't come. 

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

Nice try.

The truth is that they were trying to prop the team up and stay in the playoffs. They did not want to go down the road of a full rebuild.

Now they can see that they are heading there anyway. The problem is that they are chosing to do it in a weak draft year.

You can spin this how you want and I can spin it my way.

The difference between the realistic view and the delusional view is the belief that Linden and Benning, not only don't know what they're doing, but that they have told nothing but lies for their entire tenure! They also buy into the viewpoint that they and media clowns know more about the business of hockey than the Canucks management. Now that's delusional!

I'll believe Benning because he has done what he said he was going to do. He addressed the age gap while  gaining better prospect depth. The age gap issue was to shelter the younger players at the same time as they were being mentored by vets. The prospect depth issue was obvious to most discerning fans and a few media guys. He said he was going to find roster players from different sources and he did with college players, free agents, and players from the KHL.

We were in a position of weakness during that time so he had to overpay to get deals done. Before this season he said that we now have addressed the age gap and the prospect pool is looking better so we can now focus solely on making the team better using traditional methods. Refusing to move  Hamhuis for less than he was worth was clear signal that he would no longer overpay and he was going to accept value deals only. He even said as much. The past two deals were evidence of that. And let's face reality here; if Benning gave Hamhuis away for a bottom pick and Dallas won the Cup, the whiners would still be whining about it ten years and more from now.

19 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

The difference between the realistic view and the delusional view is the belief that Linden and Benning, not only don't know what they're doing, but that they have told nothing but lies for their entire tenure! They also buy into the viewpoint that they and media clowns know more about the business of hockey than the Canucks management. Now that's delusional!

I'll believe Benning because he has done what he said he was going to do. He addressed the age gap while  gaining better prospect depth. The age gap issue was to shelter the younger players at the same time as they were being mentored by vets. The prospect depth issue was obvious to most discerning fans and a few media guys. He said he was going to find roster players from different sources and he did with college players, free agents, and players from the KHL.

We were in a position of weakness during that time so he had to overpay to get deals done. Before this season he said that we now have addressed the age gap and the prospect pool is looking better so we can now focus solely on making the team better using traditional methods. Refusing to move  Hamhuis for less than he was worth was clear signal that he would no longer overpay and he was going to accept value deals only. He even said as much. The past two deals were evidence of that. And let's face reality here; if Benning gave Hamhuis away for a bottom pick and Dallas won the Cup, the whiners would still be whining about it ten years and more from now.

No one is saying that Linden and Benning don't know what their doing. It was a calculated guess to try to build on the fly that was probably encouraged by ownership. They came close to making it work but now they are doing what the Tankers wanted all along. I like most of the moves they have made and am happy having them lead the way.

I think that this way will take longer but has the best chance of producing a cup contender over just a playoff team.

Time will tell and it will take time. The only fans left may be the real ones.

6 minutes ago, appleboy said:

No one is saying that Linden and Benning don't know what their doing. It was a calculated guess to try to build on the fly that was probably encouraged by ownership. They came close to making it work but now they are doing what the Tankers wanted all along. I like most of the moves they have made and am happy having them lead the way.

I think that this way will take longer but has the best chance of producing a cup contender over just a playoff team.

Name a team that has done this "tank" routine that you speak of.

10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

They traded two players. The tankers were calling for a gutting of the team. Edler, Miller, Eriksson, Dorsett, Gudbranson, Megna, Larsen, Sutter and a few others are still here. Pat yourselves on the back if you want, it doesn't change reality.

2 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

They traded two players. The tankers were calling for a gutting of the team. Edler, Miller, Eriksson, Dorsett, Gudbranson, Megna, Larsen, Sutter and a few others are still here. Pat yourselves on the back if you want, it doesn't change reality.

20910157.jpg

7 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Uhmmm no

The "tankers" with a brain were calling for exactly what has been happening the last few seasons.

Trading for youth and not busting futures in hopes of making the playoffs or bettering yourself pre draft.  We wanted vets traded for mroe futures, that didn't happen last year it happened extremely well this year.  We're getting exactly what we wanted.

The extreme end of that group is the one that wanted EVERYONE gone.  Those are the people you need to wag your finger at ;)

Archived