The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] The San Jose Sharks Model of Spring 2013

RL.

Most Canucks Fans probably remember the spring of 2013 well, albeit for all the wrong reasons. Coming off back to back Presidents Trophies in 2011 and 2012, the Canucks finished 3rd in the West, and were matched up against the Sharks in the 1st round. As we all probably recall, the Canucks got swept in 4 games, AV was subsequently let go, and the team has been in limbo ever since.

But if you look closely at the moves the Sharks made at the trade deadline of that spring, it goes to show that you can offload assets for a return and yet still strive for a playoff position:

Sharks trade D Douglas Murray to Pittsburgh for 2 2nd round picks
Sharks trade F Michal Handzus to Chicago for a 4th round pick
Sharks trade F Ryan Clowe to the Rangers for 2 2nd round picks + a 3rd Round pick

(http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_season_team/San_Jose_Sharks/2012-13/1)

By trading 3 players, the Sharks acquired 4 2nd round picks, plus a 3rd and 4th round pick (although, one of the 2nds was conditional, so I am unsure what happened with that).

Point being, with the Canucks in the thick of the playoff race right now, it wouldn't be considered "giving up on the season"/"tanking" if some of the veterans were moved for valuable pieces that could help with building this team for the future. Let's face it, if the Canucks somehow manage to get into the playoffs, they will be faced with a tough task no matter who they match up against in the 1st round. Unlike the Dan Hamhuis "saga" of last year, moving valuable veterans that are no longer in the future plans is smart asset management, and can set up a team on draft day to maneuver around the board as they seem fit.

If the kids from the Comets are not ready to call up, there are always cheaper alternatives that could be available on the trade market. For example, the Sharks of 2013 acquired Raffi Torres and Scott Hannan at the deadline as well. So a little bit of selling, a little bit of buying, but overall  they moved pieces that were no longer in their plans - for whatever reason - and gained something of value back.

I look at players like Ryan Miller, Alex Burrows, Luca Sbisa, Alex Edler and to a lesser extent, Jannik Hansen as potential trade pieces. Another wrinkle into all of this is the expansion draft, and the possibility of losing a player like Hansen/Sbisa/Granlund for nothing. There's a reason why the front office gets paid as much as they do, as these sorts of decisions aren't easy. But with Boeser and Virtanen likely vying for full time spots next season, in addition to any other acquisitions made to this team, is there room for everyone? And if not, would this be a perfect time to make some moves and acquire the assets to set ourselves up for the future?

Amidst a 6 game winning streak, everyone in the Canucks front office is probably on cloud 9, sitting in a playoff position at the midway point of the season. I just hope they think beyond this season and make whatever moves with the future in mind, rather than simply just the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs. 

What I have noticed about Benning's moves so far is a lot of them look bad initially, but over time turn out to be the smart choice. This TDL is arguably Benning's most important since taking over, we will really see what kind of direction the team is going in, but I trust him to not trade for the sake of trading, and to look for a good hockey deal.

It's not quite the same situation though.  Burrows and Hansen are easily expendable if you consider Megna and Chaput a part of the plan.

I'll agree one of Sbisa or Edler is expendable (but if you trade one you HAVE to get Biega his remaining games)

If you trade Miller you have to get a goalie in return, so you get a 3rd round pick for Miller then turn around a trade a 4th for another back-up...you're basically downgrading your goalie position from an upgrade of 1 round.

Unless a team makes a great offer on a player I don't see any vets getting traded.  One exception is if all the defense gets healthy before the deadline.  Stecher and Tryamkin have pushed enough to warrant trading a Sbisa or Tanev in my mind.  There hasn't been enough push in the forwards group to make Hansen and Burrows easily expendable.  If you get an offer you can't refuse, sure, but otherwise I'd say they're still needed on this roster.

If we do squeeze into the playoffs this year I think we need to go balls to the wall trying to sign John Tavares. The rebuild is pretty much over if you can lock him up. We sell him on having a terrific up and coming 2-way supporting cast and an instant chance to win a cup. Next year we would have:

Eriksson-Tavares-Sutter

Sedins-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Granlund-Gaunce-Dorsett

Edler-Stecher

Hutton-Tanev

Tryamkin/Gudbranson/Sbisa/ Juolevi

I honestly don't think it's out of the question to sign him. Thats a tantalizing line up and our young guys are only going to get better.

Ok so not to derail completely because I'm not against selling. The returns for the players you mention will not even be close to what the sharks got for their players. The canucks are also not nearly as good as that sharks team if you think we will make the playoffs with out the players you propose trading you are flat out wrong. Who do you propose we call up from Utica? Virtanen sure lets ruin the kid.. Demko isn't ready lets ruin him too.... aaaaaaaand who else Subban? Pedan? Grenier? We don't have the depth to plug the holes. 

So if we're selling we're also selling any hopes of post season glory this year. I'm fine with that. However if there is a hockey trade to be made that can improve the team now and for the future like JB made last time we made the playoffs thats far better than what you are proposing. Lets make another Baertschi deal and grab another Pedan for Mallet Conacher for Jefferies. none of those moves hurt our future and gave us playoff depth so if we did somehow get past Calgary we had some extra bodies. 

By the way, we lost that series because of the refereeing. I'm not just talking about game 4 OT penalty to Daniel, the outcome of almost every game in the series was determined by the refs, in particular, games 3 and 4. 

It was the most pathetic NHL playoff series in the history of the NHL.

As great an influence Burrows has been to the kids of this team, now is the time to trade him. Stock is high, he'd be a great contribution to any playoff bound team. His mentorship has paid off on Bo and Baertschi, now they're taking the reins themselves when he's been injured anyway.

Same can be said for Hansen.

I know it's hard to part with them but like the Sharks, we've got players to replace them. We've got Granlund, Baertschi, Bo, Rodin, Eriksson etc. who can play top-6 minutes. With got Virtanen and Boeser in the wings still 1-2 years away from prime time production.

You want to trade veterans away as long as their departure won't have too much of a lasting effect on the team, and as Hansen and Burrows have both been injured this season we've seen what we have and what we miss from them (as well as Dorsett). All 3 guys are good contributors but this team can win without them. Keep them 1 more season and their value drops to other clubs but also to our own hockey team as the kids replace them. Now is the time to trade them.

Could get a 2nd rounder from Burrows easily.

Could maybe get a late 1st or more likely 2nd + late picks for Hansen.

Dorsett may get us a 4th, doubt he pulls us a 3rd.

Two 2nd round picks for Burrows and Hansen realistically isn't bad considering they've been injured for much of this season anyway and we're playing without them as is.

31 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

As great an influence Burrows has been to the kids of this team, now is the time to trade him. Stock is high, he'd be a great contribution to any playoff bound team. His mentorship has paid off on Bo and Baertschi, now they're taking the reins themselves when he's been injured anyway.

Same can be said for Hansen.

I know it's hard to part with them but like the Sharks, we've got players to replace them. We've got Granlund, Baertschi, Bo, Rodin, Eriksson etc. who can play top-6 minutes. With got Virtanen and Boeser in the wings still 1-2 years away from prime time production.

You want to trade veterans away as long as their departure won't have too much of a lasting effect on the team, and as Hansen and Burrows have both been injured this season we've seen what we have and what we miss from them (as well as Dorsett). All 3 guys are good contributors but this team can win without them. Keep them 1 more season and their value drops to other clubs but also to our own hockey team as the kids replace them. Now is the time to trade them.

Could get a 2nd rounder from Burrows easily.

Could maybe get a late 1st or more likely 2nd + late picks for Hansen.

Dorsett may get us a 4th, doubt he pulls us a 3rd.

Two 2nd round picks for Burrows and Hansen realistically isn't bad considering they've been injured for much of this season anyway and we're playing without them as is.

I agree on Burrows but Hansen can play anywhere in your lineup. As we have seen those players are invaluable. I want much more than a second round pick or I keep him. He is a 30 year old proven NHL player.

I want a decent prospect who can play (with upside potential) and a second round pick or why do I make that trade? 

I think Hansen doesn't get the respect he deserves by this fan base.  I would imagine quite a few NHL GM's would love to have him on their team, maybe even Mr. Burnaby Joe Sakic.......

Archived