The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] The Fourth Period: Van-City Needs to Re-Vamp

DevilCanuck19

20 hours ago, Quantum said:

Yeah, but he kind of plays like he's 30 now. 

Either way, I feel like he is overpaid for what his role truly is --- that of a third line centre.

What??? He's one of the players putting the most effort behind Horvat and Hansen.

Great Article

Before i read it, i thought this season the Canucks were going to Challenge for a cup.   Maybe not win the cup but go deep this year in the playoffs.....

After reading the article , wow i am a changed person.   The article convinced me that the Canucks may not be a deep playoff club this season and maybe it is time to consider rebuilding our hockey team.

Who would have know that an older washed up AHL vet like Megna would not ignite the Sedins and our Powerplay 1.   This was a total shock to me as well.

Don't most Cup contending teams look to the the AHL for their top line and their powerplay ?  Is this what the Habs and Oilers Cup powerhouses  used to do back in old time hockey.... .?  

Great article. Thanks for posting. 

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

That tournament did wonders for his rankings...But in hindsight you have to wonder how much Laine and Puljajarvi elevated his stats.  His junior team was also a powerhouse but he didn't manage to light it up the same way.  Chychruns stats were similar playing for a weak Sarnia team.

I hope he can play well at this level as we passed on a sure thing in MT and bought into the fuss around being named to the tournament's best defenseman.  Two years previous Mathews was neck and neck with Chychruns....Sergechev is no slouch either....God I sure hope he works out or this might determine Bennings legacy and not in a good way.

Yup, you don't pass on 18yo that are 2ppg and NHL ready, but we did :picard: . Your first sentence speaks volumes. I think OJ will be a good D-man. A solid top 4 eventually but even that's not guaranteed. 

Markstrom has the 50th most wins amongst active NHL goalies, however lots of guys with about half the amount of games played are nipping at his heels. He has a 30% win average.

This indicates that Markstrom should find himself a backup on about 5 teams in the league, with youngsters constantly nipping at his heels. He should not be seen as a goalie of the future, anywhere in the NHL and in fact on about 27 teams wouldn't even be seen as a NHL calibre goalie. 

Anton Rodin? Why are people excited about this guy? He started hitting his prime years and has 3 games of NHL experience. He'll never amount to a full time NHL player. Why are we wasting a contract slot on him??? There is and has been players that take his spot, let's be real here...he's just not a NHL player.

16 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Yup, you don't pass on 18yo that are 2ppg and NHL ready, but we did :picard: . Your first sentence speaks volumes. I think OJ will be a good D-man. A solid top 4 eventually but even that's not guaranteed. 

Markstrom has the 50th most wins amongst active NHL goalies, however lots of guys with about half the amount of games played are nipping at his heels. He has a 30% win average.

This indicates that Markstrom should find himself a backup on about 5 teams in the league, with youngsters constantly nipping at his heels. He should not be seen as a goalie of the future, anywhere in the NHL and in fact on about 27 teams wouldn't even be seen as a NHL calibre goalie. 

Anton Rodin? Why are people excited about this guy? He started hitting his prime years and has 3 games of NHL experience. He'll never amount to a full time NHL player. Why are we wasting a contract slot on him??? There is and has been players that take his spot, let's be real here...he's just not a NHL player.

Why am I wasting my time with you...you are obvioulsy blind and ignorant...still it must be said...

go away and never return!!

Rodin will be a star.

20 hours ago, darkpoet said:

You didn't know Vancouver was an Island? It's called "Vancouver Island" for a reason.
:lol:

I have encountered this error a few times. But usually you expect a so-called "journalist" to get it right. It is pretty obvious that Hannah knows less about the Canucks than most people on CDC.

Most of the article is not original. The part that is original does not make sense (such as "Expose Sutter in the expansion draft and hope he gets picked up").

But, although she is not original, she is right about a few things -- particularly about the mistakes made by management (i.e. Benning).

At this stage, most of the playoff probability websites have the Canucks at less than 2% to make the playoffs. I think that even Benning has recognized that this is the time to sell and try to obtain draft picks. If he does anything else (does nothing, trades away prospects or good young players, tries to acquire veteran players, trades away draft picks) he should be fired.

This talk about trading away a guy like Hutton in order to get an established forward is idiotic. I hope it is just a rumor.

The Canucks are (or should be) rebuilding. They should not trade any good young players or prospects (expect maybe for other good  young players or prospects) and they should get more draft picks. Benning has followed the wrong strategy so far and has been stubborn about it. Linden at least SAYS the right things (need to rebuild through the draft) but he still let Benning sign Eriksson to a ridiculous contract and put his faith in long shots like Rodin and Larsen instead of doing everything possible to rebuild from the ground up.

And Benning should have re-signed Horvat at the first available moment. His price goes up every week.

3 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

My main point is; how many 26 year old rookies are there? Anybody who is going to be good is in the league by the time they're 18-22/23. 

Prime age is 26-30 these days so he still has a chance.

But i get what you're saying.

9 minutes ago, Creepy Crawler said:

Prime age is 26-30 these days so he still has a chance.

But i get what you're saying.

Yea I unfortunately just think he missed his shot, there's too many young guys coming up nipping at his heals for that spot. If he makes it he won't be there long. 

If I'm the one making the choices and there's a 21yo and a 26yo competing that are fairly close... well I take the 21yo everytime. As he would have a lot more potential and you could develop him... maybe keep him for 10+ years... or if he hasn't done anything in 3-4 years... trade him for something newer. 

Just the way she goes... too bad he couldn't have put it together about 4 years ago. 

You'd think the people posting in here would know better than to bother reading this kind of stuff.

The level of snivel and outrage displayed here at each bogus article posted here written by some hack is kinda of CDC's rally cry, kind of like that one 65-point projection, which became this site's anthem for a while. One article and next thing you know, folks here think it represents them all. 

Its like posters need to sink down into that level, rather than ignore it. Why even post that. Surprised it's not locked. 

23 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Great Article

Before i read it, i thought this season the Canucks were going to Challenge for a cup.   Maybe not win the cup but go deep this year in the playoffs.....

After reading the article , wow i am a changed person.   The article convinced me that the Canucks may not be a deep playoff club this season and maybe it is time to consider rebuilding our hockey team.

Who would have know that an older washed up AHL vet like Megna would not ignite the Sedins and our Powerplay 1.   This was a total shock to me as well.

Don't most Cup contending teams look to the the AHL for their top line and their powerplay ?  Is this what the Habs and Oilers Cup powerhouses  used to do back in old time hockey.... .?  

Great article. Thanks for posting. 

She's brilliant. Going to the Canucks game on the island tomorrow? :picard:

4 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Name 10 players in the last 10 years that are top 6fwd or top 4D that didn't start playing in the NHL til 24 or later. Bet you can't do it. You might be able to name a few 12/13th Fwds or 6/7D-men. 

There's a handful that did, like Datsyuk was 24 when he joined Detroit.

10 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Name 10 players in the last 10 years that are top 6fwd or top 4D that didn't start playing in the NHL til 24 or later. Bet you can't do it. You might be able to name a few 12/13th Fwds or 6/7D-men. 

Artemi Panarin and Pavel Datsyuk to name 2 right off the bat 

Archived