The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden: "We are rebuilding this team"

HerrDrFunk

8 hours ago, Stelar said:

Because it won't.  Until they trade Edler, Sedins, and Taney it's not a real rebuild right???

You dont disrespect the sedins in their last year . Let them play it out n just dont re sign them if they arent gonna play supporting roles

Edler though, &^@# i cant stand him. He has been the camels back since the bruins series in 2011 and has no problem with that role. Not my kind of player

5 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Oh ya that was a "rebuilding" move, was it? Sure....

Pretty sure that's not the word CS used when describing his relationship with a certain x Canuck...

That was a rebuilding move, which played a part in costing Gillis his job.

11 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

Why is this even a thread?

You guys sound like those Trump Republicans who begged for Obama to say "Radical Islam". 

Its been obvious we have been rebuilding for the last year. Get a clue. 

Besides this past trade deadline, everything Benning has done has been more of a half assed "re-tool" than a rebuild. Within the past year, Benning did just sign Loui Eriksson and trade McCann+high 2nd rounder for Gudbranson. Are those things that a team fully committed to a rebuild would do?

3 hours ago, Winter Soldier said:

Ladies and gentlemen, your average Canucks fan.

Patient is a virtue.

One side is advocating making playoffs before the next core is even in place, that's impatience to a rebuilder. Rebuilders are very patient. This will be a 3-5 year job before we are competitive again.

Also, we should save the derision for the oilers/leafs/flames fans. We're hard enough on each other as it is. We're on the same side here. Just different viewpoints of how to get to that holy cup!

14 minutes ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

You guys sound like those Trump Republicans who begged for Obama to say "Radical Islam". 

We've sort of been retooling while trying to remain competitive though, not a full on commitment to a comprehensive rebuild.

is?1Zi1sKyCEAVIDFxVZcRhvluUW9Mqpy1KsxUwTuaeeh4&height=192

Hopefully this signals a total commitment to a rebuild. We need it desperately. 

47 minutes ago, chickenman92 said:

Gillis tried to start the rebuild 3 years ago and his Kesler deal got blocked by ownership at the deadline. 

Rumour has it, the Ducks were prepared to move Theodore, Rackel and the 10th pick (Ritchie) for Kesler...that would sure look good right about now. 

I thought he was rumoured to go to Pittsburg. 

Better late than never but it's still frustrating to see how long it took to realize that we had to do this, especially when the 13/14 season we finished 25th under Torts was a VERY clear signal to start a real rebuild. We'd have an elite franchise player to build around right now if management wasn't so delusional for almost 4 years.

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

I thought he was rumoured to go to Pittsburg. 

Yeah that's right, Gillis called it off partially because Burke said it on tv that it was happening.

Just now, Stamkos said:

Yeah that's right, Gillis called it off partially because Burke said it on tv that it was happening.

I don't think Burke got it called off. It was the Italian stallion. He kiboshed Gillis from a total rebuild, and then made him the fall guy for the Torts hiring. 

5 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Better late than never but it's still frustrating to see how long it took to realize that we had to do this, especially when the 13/14 season we finished 25th under Torts was a VERY clear signal to start a real rebuild. We'd have an elite franchise player to build around right now if management wasn't so delusional for almost 4 years.

Yeah it was one thing to try to make playoffs. It's another to make air head like signings like Loui Erickson. 

8 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

Care to give examples? Other than the Eriksson signing, which made sense regardless, what are these contradictory moves and results? They have been making this team younger throughout the entire process and not promising the world in terms of results - as in "being competitive for a playoff spot".

I'd say a $36 million commitment to an aging UFA is a move rebuilding teams do not make. As rebuilding teams want cap flexibility to be able to facilitate deals that are beneficial to them. Cap itself is an asset, and it was used fruitlessly here to prevent this team from hitting rock bottom. I'd argue that we needed to hit rock bottom, especially during the 2015/16 years because of the talent available in those drafts.

I get where you're coming from with making this team younger.

My issue is that in a rush to get these younger NHL ready players, we've traded tomorrow's higher uncertain ceiling for today's lower guaranteed floor. They are 'young' but they're also in their mid 20s and nearing the end of the development curve, and are more expensive than cost controlled prospects had we just kept the original picks.

That caused us to acquire players like:

Vey/Sutter/Gudbranson/Larsen/Dorsett/Prust/Etem

rather than be patient and see how :

2nd/2nd/McCann/5th/3rd/5th/7th would turn out

A rebuilding team would opt for option 2 and let the cards fall with where the team ends up in the standings, but still have the team play competitive hockey

i'll also counter with the fact that we made trades that made the team older to fill in this 'age gap'. That i believe didn't need to be filled. Despite us acquiring players in their mid 20s.

the following trades would fall under that category that made the canucks asset base older. I'm not saying these were all bad trades, but this was not being patient on management's part and letting the picks pan out while letting the team naturally bottom out.

3rd for Dorsett

2nd for Vey

Forsling for Clendenning

2nd for Baertschi

Kassian + 5th for Prust

McCann + 2nd + 4th for Gudbranson

Jensen + 7th for Etem

I will say that this trend has thankfully reversed . There is a clear distinction between the trades made above and the two listed below. If we can get more of these, i am fully on board.

Burrows for Dahlen

Hansen for Goldobin + 4th

43 minutes ago, Butters Stoch said:

Besides this past trade deadline, everything Benning has done has been more of a half assed "re-tool" than a rebuild. Within the past year, Benning did just sign Loui Eriksson and trade McCann+high 2nd rounder for Gudbranson. Are those things that a team fully committed to a rebuild would do?

There's different ways to rebuild a team, the Gudbranson trade was something we needed, and he's only 25. The Eriksson signing sucks but people keep harping on that one signing and stating that's the sole reason why this team "isn't rebuilding".

just because he has said it, it dont mean they will do a better job of rebuilding than they did when they were 'retooling on the fly.'  the complete miss this administration made on their plan to continue to compete for the cup when most of us with any sense already knew the so called party was over continues to be a cause for concern.

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

I'd say a $36 million commitment to an aging UFA is a move rebuilding teams do not make. As rebuilding teams want cap flexibility to be able to facilitate deals that are beneficial to them. Cap itself is an asset, and it was used fruitlessly here to prevent this team from hitting rock bottom. I'd argue that we needed to hit rock bottom, especially during the 2015/16 years because of the talent available in those drafts.

I get where you're coming from with making this team younger.

My issue is that in a rush to get these younger NHL ready players, we've traded tomorrow's higher uncertain ceiling for today's lower guaranteed floor. They are 'young' but they're also in their mid 20s and nearing the end of the development curve, and are more expensive than cost controlled prospects had we just kept the original picks.

That caused us to acquire players like:

Vey/Sutter/Gudbranson/Larsen/Dorsett/Prust/Etem

rather than be patient and see how :

2nd/2nd/McCann/5th/3rd/5th/7th would turn out

A rebuilding team would opt for option 2 and let the cards fall with where the team ends up in the standings, but still have the team play competitive hockey

i'll also counter with the fact that we made trades that made the team older to fill in this 'age gap'. That i believe didn't need to be filled. Despite us acquiring players in their mid 20s.

the following trades would fall under that category that made the canucks asset base older. I'm not saying these were all bad trades, but this was not being patient on management's part and letting the picks pan out while letting the team naturally bottom out.

3rd for Dorsett

2nd for Vey

Forsling for Clendenning

2nd for Baertschi

Kassian + 5th for Prust

McCann + 2nd + 4th for Gudbranson

Jensen + 7th for Etem

I will say that this trend has thankfully reversed . There is a clear distinction between the trades made above and the two listed below. If we can get more of these, i am fully on board.

Burrows for Dahlen

Hansen for Goldobin + 4th

Good post.

4 hours ago, Horvats_Big_Head said:

It's been obvious to me they've been rebuilding since they took over.

Archived