The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] leverage with Montreal

JM_

So watching Montreal go down in the 1st round its clear they need a C with size and ability. They have about 22 mil in cap space for next season but they have some big holes to fill.

The only viable UFA imo is Hanzal, and my guess is they are going to throw major cash his way in an offer, probably in the 6 mil 6 year range. There really isn't any other C that could be as dominant for them as Hanzal on the UFA market this season. They may also lose depth D to Vegas.

They also need to pay Radulov, he showed a ton of heart in the loss. He's also going to command ~6 mil per. 

So that leaves 10 mil for a pay raise for Galchenyuk, resign/replace Markov, and resign depth wingers and D. It eats up pretty fast and leaves nothing for a deadline deal for the playoffs.

So, given what Montreal is facing do we have any leverage for a deal here? 

My suggestion is: Baer and Edler to Montreal for their 1st  and Torrey Mitchell. 

Elder takes a lot of crap on CDC but he and Petry or maybe even Weber would be a solid pairing for them. Baer is cheap scoring, which they will also need. We get another pick and our 4th line C. 

5 minutes ago, BaerToBo said:

Why bother saying they need a C if it's not even part of the proposal?

cuz they need a C? Hanzal is a viable free agent for them they need to go after with a ton of $$ otherwise they are right back in this same spot. That and the cash Radulov is going to command may give us a trade opportunity.  

Montreal doesn't need another defenceman. They just signed a guy out of the KHL that looks promising. They also have Segachev in the wings to go along with Weber, Benn, Petry, Beaulieu (who they may lose to expansion) and Emelin. And really. Even at his age Markov is still a better option than Edler. I could see him re-signing in Montreal for another year or 2 

Also. They need to top 6 scoring centre. Hanzal isn't that guy. If they make a move it'll likely be a bigger deal for a guy like Duchene. I don't see a fit here. Vancouver has nothing to offer Montreal that they need 

Yeah I am not seeing your focus or how things fit on this one Sall. You mention that they have zero cap room, too many people to resign, and are short on centres. Then you propose a deal where they take on a significant amount of extra cap, and trade away a centre. 

I buy the first part; that someone can take advantage of their weakness down centre and cap crunch (especially with Price to resign soon). But I don't see a winger and an expensive D on their shopping list. 

14 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

So watching Montreal go down in the 1st round its clear they need a C with size and ability. They have about 22 mil in cap space for next season but they have some big holes to fill.

The only viable UFA imo is Hanzal, and my guess is they are going to throw major cash his way in an offer, probably in the 6 mil 6 year range. There really isn't any other C that could be as dominant for them as Hanzal on the UFA market this season. They may also lose depth D to Vegas.

They also need to pay Radulov, he showed a ton of heart in the loss. He's also going to command ~6 mil per. 

So that leaves 10 mil for a pay raise for Galchenyuk, resign/replace Markov, and resign depth wingers and D. It eats up pretty fast and leaves nothing for a deadline deal for the playoffs.

So, given what Montreal is facing do we have any leverage for a deal here? 

My suggestion is: Baer and Edler to Montreal for their 1st OA and Torrey Mitchell. 

Elder takes a lot of crap on CDC but he and Petry or maybe even Weber would be a solid pairing for them. Baer is cheap scoring, which they will also need. We get another pick and our 4th line C. 

how does the contracts of hanzal, edler and baers fit into their payroll?

2 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

how does the contracts of hanzal, edler and baers fit into their payroll?

so 22 mil to start:

6 Hanzal

6 Radulov

5 Edler

1.85 Baer

minus 1.2 for Mitchell 

_______

17.65 in cap spent for Hanzal, Radulov, Edler and Baer. Thats a pretty decent upgrade. Leaves them with 4.35 mil for more moves. 

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal doesn't need another defenceman. They just signed a guy out of the KHL that looks promising. They also have Segachev in the wings to go along with Weber, Benn, Petry, Beaulieu (who they may lose to expansion) and Emelin. 

Also. They need to top 6 scoring centre. Hanzal isn't that guy. If they make a move it'll likely be a bigger deal for a guy like Duchene. I don't see a fit here. Vancouver has nothing to offer Montreal that they need 

Hanzal is nearly a PPG player on AZ. Imagine what he can do with actual partners. 

On D, sure they got a KHL guy, who's totally unproven and they may lose some D to Vegas. Elder is a solid player. 

1 minute ago, 73 Percent said:

Yeah. Now it's just a bad proposal. It was a bad proposal with wrong information before.

Other than Shattenkirk, who's better than Edler on UFA D this year? No one i can see. If Montreal loses Markov going back to Russia (he's got some real family issues that may see that happen) what then? They won't be able to afford Shattenkirk, Radulov and a C upgrade like Hanzal next year. 

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

Hanzal is nearly a PPG player on AZ. Imagine what he can do with actual partners. 

On D, sure they got a KHL guy, who's totally unproven and they may lose some D to Vegas. Elder is a solid player. 

Hanzal has NEVER put up more than 40 points in a season.  NEVER. He's closer to a 30 point a season guy. He also has durability issues.  He doesn't address Montreals needs. Nor does your proposal. They can keep their first and re-sign Markov.(or Juullsen or Sergachev can replace him)  

And they have several guys in the minors waiting to make the jump that can do what Baertchi can do (Hudon , Reway, Mete, Sherbak, Carr)

Just now, S'all Good Man said:

Other than Shattenkirk, who's better than Edler on UFA D this year? No one i can see. If Montreal loses Markov going back to Russia (he's got some real family issues that may see that happen) what then? They won't be able to afford Shattenkirk, Radulov and a C upgrade like Hanzal next year. 

Markov just said he wanted to stay a Habs for life.  His sons are now with him.

They already have Byron and Gallagher comparable to Baertschi.  Plus you say they are already tight on cap and you want to unload Edler and Baerstchi on them.

Montreal could use their 1st, or maybe Galchenyuk to try and trade for a big and better centerman than Hanzal.

Hanzal with a bunch of midget around him won't solve their problem IMO, plus that's a huge overpayment for him.

1 minute ago, timberz21 said:

They already have Byron and Gallagher comparable to Baertschi.  Plus you say they are already tight on cap and you want to unload Edler and Baerstchi on them.

Montreal could use their 1st, or maybe Galchenyuk to try and trade for a big and better centerman than Hanzal.

Hanzal with a bunch of midget around him won't solve their problem IMO, plus that's a huge overpayment for him.

Could be. We'll see what happens when FA opens up. 

5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Hanzal has NEVER put up more than 40 points in a season.  NEVER. He's closer to a 30 point a season guy. He also has durability issues.  He doesn't address Montreals needs. Nor does your proposal. They can keep their first and re-sign Markov.(or Juullsen or Sergachev can replace him)  

And they have several guys in the minors waiting to make the jump that can do what Baertchi can do (Hudon , Reway, Mete, Sherbak, Carr)

you're right, i was being a bit generous there, but even still on a crap team he was doing well imo. My prediction is MTL throws a ton of cash at him (barring a trade) but we'll see. 

Archived