The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The 5th Pick of 2017 Draft

Ichiban604

Canucks will draft...  

440 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

If Vilardi is gone I really want Heiskanen. He seems like a can't miss D prospect. If both of them are gone, I guess I'd take a chance on Mittelstadt or Glass. Mittelstadt and Glass seem like they are 2-3 years away though.

Why is that a problem?

P.S. most of the guys not named Patrick/Hischier will likely be 2+ years away.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Why is that a problem?

P.S. most of the guys not named Patrick/Hischier will likely be 2+ years away.

Well Mittelstadt could take 3 more years before he's ready. What's to stop him from doing his last year of college and then becoming a free agent? Could just be paranoia after the Tryamkin fiasco but I think it has some merit. Glass seems like the safe choice to me if Heiskanen and Vilardi are indeed gone.

3 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Well Mittelstadt could take 3 more years before he's ready. What's to stop him from doing his last year of college and then becoming a free agent? Could just be paranoia after the Tryamkin fiasco but I think it has some merit. Glass seems like the safe choice to me if Heiskanen and Vilardi are indeed gone.

I doubt Mittel does more than 2 years of school. It would be a very poor fiscal choice and career choice. The chances of him doing a full 4 years of school are almost zero IMO. You're being paranoid :lol:

My mock is:

NJD/PHI - Patrick/Hischier

DAL - Mittelstadt

COL - Heiskanen (maybe Vilardi)

VAN - Glass

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I doubt Mittel does more than 2 years of school. It would be a very poor fiscal choice and career choice. The chances of him doing a full 4 years of school are almost zero IMO. You're being paranoid :lol:

My mock is:

NJD/PHI - Patrick/Hischier

DAL - Mittelstadt

COL - Heiskanen (maybe Vilardi)

VAN - Glass

If either Heiskanen or Vilardi fall to 5 would you still rather have Glass? 

9 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

If either Heiskanen or Vilardi fall to 5 would you still rather have Glass? 

I'd rather have Glass then Liljegrin/Necas/Vilardi/Heiskanen are all basically a draw IMO.

Though that's probably the order I'd take them given I rate them all basically equal but I like the skill sets of the other guys first. 

17 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Yeah after the top 2, I like Vilardi, Heiskanen, Glass then Mittelstadt. Mittelstadt has lots of speed and skill but shys away from contact from what I've seen.

I like Vilardi, Glass than Mittelstadt/Liljegren, and I think i'm starting to lean more towards Liljegren over casey. 

1 hour ago, messier's_elbow said:

Why is that? How is Liljegren when it comes to physical contact?

Probably the best out of the top 3 D (which isn't saying much though). 

Liljegren is the best skater of the bunch, he's extremely smooth very mobile, likes to walk the D line and he wants the puck on his stick, he's always trying to create offensive chances (which sometimes gives him tunnel vision).

And out of the 3 he's the type of D that our D doesn't already have. A right handed, offensive focussed D.  Not many D can rush the puck like he does. 

4 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Liljegren is the best skater of the bunch, he's extremely smooth very mobile, likes to walk the D line and he wants the puck on his stick, he's always trying to create offensive chances (which sometimes gives him tunnel vision).

And out of the 3 he's the type of D that our D doesn't already have. A right handed, offensive focussed D.  Not many D can rush the puck like he does. 

He looks alright but I think we need a big centre worse then another right D. Vilardi or Glass when they are fully grown would complement our smaller wingers.

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Liljegren is the best skater of the bunch, he's extremely smooth very mobile

He really is a joy to watch skate. Makes it look effortless.

I know lots of people are against moving Tanev but if doing so meant we could come out of this draft with one of Mittel/Glass/Necas/Vilardi and Liljegrin.

YCg8210.gif

1 minute ago, messier's_elbow said:

He looks alright but I think we need a big centre worse then another right D. Vilardi or Glass when they are fully grown would complement our smaller wingers.

yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't want a D this year, we should be going 100% with a center this year and going D next year (as next years draft is loaded with top end D talent)

But if for some reason canucks decide to go the D route.  Liljegren is the guy i would be least upset about. 

Just now, J.R. said:

He really is a joy to watch skate. Makes it look effortless.

I know lots of people are against moving Tanev but if doing so meant we could come out of this draft with one of Mittel/Glass/Necas/Vilardi and Liljegrin.

Honestly Tanev is our top trading piece.  next years draft is so much more enticing to me, so if were are going to move him, it should be a 2018 draft asset. 

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Honestly Tanev is our top trading piece.  next years draft is so much more enticing to me, so if were are going to move him, it should be a 2018 draft asset. 

There's nothing wrong with getting two excellent, high first prospects this draft. There's tons of quality players available that will arguably be cheaper to get.

We'll likely be picking high again next year and still have a shot at VERY good players then too. Can you imagine a future top 4 of:

Dahlin, Liljegrin

Juolevi, Stecher

Clean up on aisle 3!

41 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

The boy can skate alright.... 

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The boy can skate alright.... 

There's a heck of a lot of room on the European ice...It would be interesting to see if he could translate that into the high pressure NA game,..playing on a smaller ice surface?

9 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

yeah, don't get me wrong, I don't want a D this year, we should be going 100% with a center this year and going D next year (as next years draft is loaded with top end D talent)

But if for some reason canucks decide to go the D route.  Liljegren is the guy i would be least upset about. 

We definitely need a playmaker in the middle, but if JB wants to get the offense going this is what we ultimately need -- a Dman who knows how to rush the puck and make plays with it.  In that, he looks similar to Subban except that he's much better at it and seems to know what he intends to do when he gets there, instead of just rushing and dangling the puck because he's able to skate it up the ice.  Big question -- can this translate at the NHL level?  An Edler/Tanev trade for a playmaking center would make taking him must more reasonable, and likely.

Archived