The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The 5th Pick of 2017 Draft

Ichiban604

Canucks will draft...  

440 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well, I was initially sold on Glass, but after watching Vilardi in the Memorial Cup I'm now torn between the two. I think there are just too many unknowns about Mittelstadt, though he could end up being the best of the bunch.

2 hours ago, bp79 said:

Don't get the love for Vilardi. he seems like one of those guys who has good tools against the smaller players his age. He also has terrible 5on5 numbers I'd much rather go with glass

Where did you pull that out of?

Only 18 of his 61 points came on the power player.

In 49 games he put up 42 even strength points, that's over 85%.....

You call that terrible?

I think you missing Vilardi will Mittelstadt up.

Vilardi is a year younger than everyone in the draft and not really bigger than his pears. 

Vilardi is 6'2" 192

Glass is is 6'2" 180

Mittelstadt is 6'1" 201

Patrick is 6'3" 198

Vesalainen is 6'3" 203

Rasmussen is is 6'5" 200

Tippet is 6'2" 203

24 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Where did you pull that out of?

Only 18 of his 61 points came on the power player.

In 49 games he put up 42 even strength points, that's over 85%.....

You call that terrible?

I think you missing Vilardi will Mittelstadt up.

Vilardi is a year younger than everyone in the draft and not really bigger than his pears. 

Vilardi is 6'2" 192

Glass is is 6'2" 180

Mittelstadt is 6'1" 201

Patrick is 6'3" 198

Vesalainen is 6'3" 203

Rasmussen is is 6'5" 200

Tippet is 6'2" 203

WWell tbh I broke the cardinal rule. Tho if he is A year younger and grows like he should this might bw why people are sayin that. I have no idea his stats played out this way. I blame King Heffley he is the one who brought up a bunch of facts about his size and where he gets most of hi points. 

What you said does scare me A bit since it stands to reason he will grow even more next year and that may skew his Numbers. I guess after being shot down I stand corrected. I guess I just hope we take A puck moving D as next years draft seems chalked full of potential top line centres I may be in the minority, but I have this gut feeling LIllegren will be the next Eric Karelson

Plus if Gaudette continues his pace against men he might have more upside than Gabe Ps are you sure your numbers are correct A lot of mock drafts seem to point out that if he scored more 5on5 he would be right up there with Nico and Nolan, I could be wrong Cheers.

Just now, bp79 said:

WWell tbh I broke the cardinal rule. Tho if he is A year younger and grows like he should this might bw why people are sayin that. I have no idea his stats played out this way. I blame King Heffley he is the one who brought up a bunch of facts about his size and where he gets most of hi points. 

What you said does scare me A bit since it stands to reason he will grow even more next year and that may skew his Numbers. I guess after being shot down I stand corrected. I guess I just hope we take A puck moving D as next years draft seems chalked full of potential top line centres I may be in the minority, but I have this gut feeling LIllegren will be the next Eric Karelson

Plus if Gaudette continues his pace against men he might have more upside than Gabe Ps are you sure your numbers are correct A lot of mock drafts seem to point out that if he scored more 5on5 he would be right up there with Nico and Nolan, I could be wrong Cheers.

Kinda hope we get him if we acquire A later round I hope we get Peterson once he bulks up kid could the gem of the draft for forwards

Just now, bp79 said:

I hate to do it again, but again where are you pulling this out of, you're getting this backwards,  2017 is the year of centers and 2018 is the year of defense.  Next years draft isn't full of centers, it the year of defense,  Wilde, Hughes, Dahlin, Merkley, Bouchard.

http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/04/11/2018-nhl-draft-led-defensemen/

In fact as of today, they is only 2-3 players ranked to make the top 10 that are centers. 

Just now, bp79 said:

Yes i'm sure.  You're missing Mittelstadt up with Vilardi.  Mittelstadt had 80% of his production coming from the PP.  Vilardi only had 8ppg and 10ppa. 

Just now, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I hate to do it again, but again where are you pulling this out of, you're getting this backwards,  2017 is the year of centers and 2018 is the year of defense.  Next years draft isn't full of centers, it the year of defense,  Wilde, Hughes, Dahlin, Merkley, Bouchard.

http://lastwordonhockeyprospects.com/2017/04/11/2018-nhl-draft-led-defensemen/

In fact as of today, they is only 2-3 players ranked to make the top 10 that are centers. 

Yes i'm sure.  You're missing Mittelstadt up with Vilardi.  Mittelstadt had 80% of his production coming from the PP.  Vilardi only had 8ppg and 10ppa. 

Wow well, good thing I never wanted Casey lol I hope someone will show these to King huffy that annoys me when people pull stats out of their arese. I believed since nobody else was disputing it thanks for clearing that up.

Just now, bp79 said:

Wow well, good thing I never wanted Casey lol I hope someone will show these to King huffy that annoys me when people pull stats out of their arese. I believed since nobody else was disputing it thanks for clearing that up.

I got that from a few databases rating next years draft the most prominent being the Russian kid who is currently playing in the USHl and Bob Mc was on 1040 last week saying there are 4-5 vreally good centres most from Russia who could play in the Nhl now He also mentioned Dahlin and said he will probably go #2 behind the ruskie This I am not relying on some overblown CDC member. heard it with my own ears. I had no problem agreeing with you on what you said. I only ask for the same. and this time next year if I was wrong. As you can see I'm a humble person who has no problem admitting when I am.wrong

14 minutes ago, bp79 said:

For exact stats:

Vilardi 49 games played, 61 points, 8 power play goals, 10 power play assist, 2 empty net goals
http://ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/team_players/56/17
32.8% of points come from the man up

Glass 69 games played, 94 points, 9 power play goals, 18 power play assist, 2 empty net goals
http://whl.ca/stats/team_players/257/208
30.9% of points come from the man up

Mittelstadt 24 games played, 30 points, 5 power play goals, 13 power play assist, 2 empty net goals
http://www.ushl.com/view#/player-stats?playerType=skater&team=15&rookie=no&season=58&statsType=expanded&sort=points&league=1&league_code=USHL&position=skaters¤tPage=1  
66.6% of points come from the man up

6 minutes ago, bp79 said:

I got that from a few databases rating next years draft the most prominent being the Russian kid who is currently playing in the USHl and Bob Mc was on 1040 last week saying there are 4-5 vreally good centres most from Russia who could play in the Nhl now He also mentioned Dahlin and said he will probably go #2 behind the ruskie This I am not relying on some overblown CDC member. heard it with my own ears. I had no problem agreeing with you on what you said. I only ask for the same. and this time next year if I was wrong. As you can see I'm a humble person who has no problem admitting when I am.wrong

Andrei Svechnikov has played as a winger since coming to the USHL, shoots left but plays right wing,  He's really good though.

Veleno, Khovanov are the only real centers that are ranked to be in the top 15.  Giroux and Tkachuk could be but they also are more of wingers.

Zadina is a winger. 

Wilde, Hughes, Merkley, Dahlin, McIsaac, Bouchard, Alexeyev, Boqvist and Woo are all D expected to be in the top 15. 

Just curious, why is there such a large crowd against Gabe Vilardi?  If he fell at 5 I wouldn't hesitate to take him.

Is it the skating?  If anything that doesn't worry me too much because just look at Leon Draisaitl, Joe Thornton, Ryan Getzlaf, and Jamie Benn  .  Not great skaters by any means but still very successful.

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Andrei Svechnikov has played as a winger since coming to the USHL, shoots left but plays right wing,  He's really good though.

Veleno, Khovanov are the only real centers that are ranked to be in the top 15.  Giroux and Tkachuk could be but they also are more of wingers.

Zadina is a winger. 

Wilde, Hughes, Merkley, Dahlin, McIsaac, Bouchard, Alexeyev, Boqvist and Woo are all D expected to be in the top 15. 

I will try and find the audio and the 2018 prospect page so you can see what I saw. since we both are going on hearsay let's keep it civil these type of sights sight usually make quite a few mistakes but Bobby mac is a pretty reliable source. From what a lot of my Russian relatives tell me. A lot of junior type in Russian players out there are taught more then just one position giving them the skills on more than just one position. Making the transition that much easier. That being said you could be right about  Andrei Svechnikov. But it sure gives them more oppurtunity when they come over. As for Defencemen yes they may make up the majority of the top 15. As I'm sure you can agree judging is almost as hard as judging goalies I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are bumped out of the top 15 By no means do, I think I'm right. Again I'll take Bob McKenzie's word over 2nd rate leagues and sights One thing I'm sure we can agree on is they are not all that reliable I guess we wait a year

37 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Just curious, why is there such a large crowd against Gabe Vilardi?  If he fell at 5 I wouldn't hesitate to take him.

Is it the skating?  If anything that doesn't worry me too much because just look at Leon Draisaitl, Joe Thornton, Ryan Getzlaf, and Jamie Benn  .  Not great skaters by any means but still very successful.

I'm not against Vilardi, I'll be perfectly happy if the Canucks pick him at 5.

That said, I'd personally prefer: Mittelstadt, Glass, Liljegren, Necas and Vilardi in pretty close to that order (hard to say for sure as they're all so close).

I wonder, if Vilardi isn't available at #5, will JB go with a D?

Both Makar and Liljegren could one day be excellent offensive RHD, especially on the PP, which is where the Canucks struggle. They've both been compared to Erik Karlsson and/or Drew Doughty, as far as the way they play.

Juolevi - Makar/Liljegren could one day be the Canucks top pairing, and a very good one. It would probably be 2-3 years before we see Makar or Liljegren play in the NHL though, as they'll need time to develop.

Heiskanen sounds a bit like Juolevi, in the way they play. Calm, smart, good passer/skater etc. The Canucks don't need another defensive D.

12 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder, if Vilardi isn't available at #5, will JB go with a D?

Both Makar and Liljegren could one day be excellent offensive RHD, especially on the PP, which is where the Canucks struggle. They've both been compared to Erik Karlsson and/or Drew Doughty, as far as the way they play.

Juolevi - Makar/Liljegren could one day be the Canucks top pairing, and a very good one. It would probably be 2-3 years before we see Makar or Liljegren play in the NHL though, as they'll need time to develop.

Heiskanen sounds a bit like Juolevi, in the way they play. Calm, smart, good passer/skater etc. The Canucks don't need another defensive D.

I hope, if that's the case, that JB would go for Makar.  

10 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I hope, if that's the case, that JB would go for Makar.  

I think Makar and Liljegren might be very similar players. Both are RH offensive D.

Liljegren was sick with mono during the first half of last season and didn't have a great year, yet he remained in the Top 10 rankings. It was an off year for him, but he still needs work on his defensive game. He's still a good skater, and has a great shot.

Makar, a Calgarian, has great speed and mobility, and strong hockey sense, but will be going to university in Massachusetts next year. He still needs to put on some bulk and play a bit more physical.

I don't think they could go wrong with either. The Canucks need a PP QB, these are the guys.

Best player by position/role?:

C - Patrick/Hischier

RW - Tippett

LW - Vesalainen

RH Offensive D - Liljegren/Makar

LH Defensive D - Heiskanen

What do the Canucks need most?

I know people say take the best player available (BPA), but everyone's draft rankings seem to be slightly different. (eg. Button has Necas ranked #3) 

44 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

eg. Button has Necas ranked #3) 

If Necas turns out, he won't be wrong. Higher risk than Vilardi, Glass etc but he might even turn out better than either of Patrick/Hischier.

Or he could also 'bust' :lol:

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

If Necas turns out, he won't be wrong. Higher risk than Vilardi, Glass etc but he might even turn out better than either of Patrick/Hischier.

Or he could also 'bust' :lol:

I agree. These draft rankings are just opinions, and who knows how a player will turn out. Look at Hansen, as an example, the career he had and how good he was at what he did. He was drafted at #287 (9th round), which doesn't even exist anymore. Then compare that to Patrick White who was drafted by the Canucks at #25 (1st round) in 2007. He's never played an NHL game.   

I can see Necas having a nice career. 

Archived