The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The 5th Pick of 2017 Draft

Ichiban604

Canucks will draft...  

440 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Best player by position/role?:

C - Patrick/Hischier

RW - Tippett

LW - Vesalainen

RH Offensive D - Liljegren/Makar

LH Defensive D - Heiskanen

What do the Canucks need most?

I know people say take the best player available (BPA), but everyone's draft rankings seem to be slightly different. (eg. Button has Necas ranked #3) 

In his latest mock (may 12th) he has him at #12.

http://www.tsn.ca/template-mock-draft-1.750199

27 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, but he also has Rasmussen at #6 and Mittelstadt at #10. Maybe Button had a few cocktails before making his list. lol

I'm gonna have to agree, I don't see middelstadt dropping that low. However I can't argue his top 5. Honestly anything is possible this year that's why I'm so excited for draft day haha

7 minutes ago, cyoung said:

I'm gonna have to agree, I don't see middelstadt dropping that low. However I can't argue his top 5. Honestly anything is possible this year that's why I'm so excited for draft day haha

Yeah, this year it seems, anyone after the top 2 is up for grabs. I suspect teams will draft by team needs, and not necessarily BPA. Button predicts the Canucks will get Glass, and I'm okay with that. But then he mentions that Glass would look good playing on Horvat's line. Which makes me wonder why JB would draft another RW. Canucks have lots of those. Maybe he'll play C, who knows.

TSN's draft coverage sucks so far this summer.  I understand they will ramp it up around the combine but cmon. sportsnet coverage stinks.   I saw a m,aster list of draft rankings someone had collected.  I cant seem to locate it now though.   If you have it please share :D

12 hours ago, Rush17 said:

TSN's draft coverage sucks so far this summer.  I understand they will ramp it up around the combine but cmon. sportsnet coverage stinks.   I saw a m,aster list of draft rankings someone had collected.  I cant seem to locate it now though.   If you have it please share :D

What, there's a draft?  Oh yeah, let's see... hmm, Oilers and Leafs not up there.  Nevermind, now back to Canada's team, the Blue Jays!

I think everybody, myself included, is sleeping on the possibility that Ben Tippet might be selected by JB. If he thinks Ben Tippet will be the better winger than the others are D or Centers then I would get behind that.

Personally I like Veselainen and Peterrsson but those guys at 5 will be too much of a reach.

I like Tippett too, he's a goal scoring machine, and he's a big dude.

44 goals in 60 games last season (Mississauga). 6'2" 200

But he's a RW and the Canucks have plenty of young, talented RWers in the system already (Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Lockwood). But who knows, maybe they trade Virtanen and make room for Tippett.

I think they need to draft a C (Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass, Necas), a LW (Vesalainen, Andersson) or an Offensive RHD (Liljegren, Maker)

49 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think everybody, myself included, is sleeping on the possibility that Ben Tippet might be selected by JB. If he thinks Ben Tippet will be the better winger than the others are D or Centers then I would get behind that.

Personally I like Veselainen and Peterrsson but those guys at 5 will be too much of a reach.

Owen Tippett, right?
Honestly I would have explored him as a very real option if we didn't already have our perfect trigger man in Boeser. (Also, still quietly hoping Jake can adopt more of a shoot-first mentality...)

We need somebody to set Brock up. It's Glass or Mittelstadt unless Heiskanen is available.

I like Glass more and more. He reminds me a ton of Sam Reinhart, and lord knows we need a playmaking centreman ASAP.

He could learn a lot from Henrik (in the brief time they may share as teammates), and slots in as a perfect 1-2 punch with Bo because he brings an entirely different skillset. Would love for our new core to have more Canadians too.

Mittelstadt also intrigues the hell out of me. Those toedrags are dirty. He really could be Auston Matthews-esque, but I just wish we could see a stronger sample of him against stronger competition.

I will be upset if we don't take Glass, Mittelstadt, or Heiskanen because one of them will inevitably be available.

Makar could be an okay selection, but I genuinely don't see how he could be any better at the NHL level than Troy Stecher (who is literally going into his sophomore season and should make more strides as and OFD).

3 minutes ago, nergish said:

Owen Tippett, right?
Honestly I would have explored him as a very real option if we didn't already have our perfect trigger man in Boeser. (Also, still quietly hoping Jake can adopt more of a shoot-first mentality...)

We need somebody to set Brock up. It's Glass or Mittelstadt unless Heiskanen is available.

I like Glass more and more. He reminds me a ton of Sam Reinhart, and lord knows we need a playmaking centreman ASAP.

He could learn a lot from Henrik (in the brief time they may share as teammates), and slots in as a perfect 1-2 punch with Bo because he brings an entirely different skillset. Would love for our new core to have more Canadians too.

Mittelstadt also intrigues the hell out of me. Those toedrags are dirty. He really could be Auston Matthews-esque, but I just wish we could see a stronger sample of him against stronger competition.

I will be upset if we don't take Glass, Mittelstadt, or Heiskanen because one of them will inevitably be available.

Makar could be an okay selection, but I genuinely don't see how he could be any better at the NHL level than Troy Stecher (who is literally going into his sophomore season and should make more strides as and OFD).

I'm liking Makar now that I've seen him more.  He is a far better offensively gifted player than Stecher.  He's got elite skating and skills.  

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I like Tippett too, he's a goal scoring machine, and he's a big dude.

44 goals in 60 games last season (Mississauga). 6'2" 200

But he's a RW and the Canucks have plenty of young, talented RWers in the system already (Boeser, Goldobin, Virtanen, Lockwood). But who knows, maybe they trade Virtanen and make room for Tippett.

I think they need to draft a C (Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Glass, Necas), a LW (Vesalainen, Andersson) or an Offensive RHD (Liljegren, Maker)

Hard pass on tippet. If you want a winger take Jonah Gadjovich. 46 goals in 60 games. Also 6'2" 200lb. And he can be had in the 3rd round. 

2 hours ago, nergish said:

Owen Tippett, right?

lol my bad. Ben Tippet was my physics professor in university.

I agree that Mittelstadt may be the overall gem of the draft, but like you say it is hard to make a reasonable judgement with such a small sample size against top notch competition. Although CM did show well on the international and USHL stage.

I am actually indifferent on OWEN Tippet but I just think that JB may think he is the BPA in which case I wouldn't be surprised if he was picked.

My 5th pick preference in order would be: Mittelstadt, Glass, Necas, Vilardi, Liljigren, Heiskanen, TIppet

I feel that we are better off picking a forward this time around at 5th OA

On 2017-05-26 at 1:42 AM, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Just curious, why is there such a large crowd against Gabe Vilardi?  If he fell at 5 I wouldn't hesitate to take him.

Is it the skating?  If anything that doesn't worry me too much because just look at Leon Draisaitl, Joe Thornton, Ryan Getzlaf, and Jamie Benn  .  Not great skaters by any means but still very successful.

Skating is one, I know you brought up some examples of skating, his skating is just horrendus, combine that with not the best puck handling, his shot is also average, and not very strong or accurate.  One the more overrated prospects that i think will bust.  He's almost like another michale dal Cole is scary.

i also know that Canucks were not too high in him at mid terms, but we'll see.

I am actually indifferent on OWEN Tippet but I just think that JB may think he is the BPA in which case I wouldn't be surprised if he was picked.

Canucks had Tippett rated very high at mid terms.   But I don't think we will select him at 5 because he said he is drafting a centre or a dman.

2 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

Skating is one, I know you brought up some examples of skating, his skating is just horrendus, combine that with not the best puck handling, his shot is also average, and not very strong or accurate.  One the more overrated prospects that i think will bust.  He's almost like another michale dal Cole is scary.

i also know that Canucks were not too high in him at mid terms, but we'll see.

Haha, where did you come up with that?

Dubbed by many as a power forward he has got excellent puck handling ability and playmaking skills to help set up his teammates.

He also has a powerful wrist shot and gets involved physically around the boards and in front of the net.

Vilardi is a relatively big forward at 6’2” and 192lbs but wouldn’t just be a crash and bash power forward. His playmaking skills and hockey IQ mean that he is not only capable of playing a finesse role but excelling at it.

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2017/5/17/15629334/2017-nhl-entry-draft-prospect-profile-gabriel-vilardi-dallas-stars-first-round

A dynamic and often brilliant offensive attacker…has skilled hands and outstanding awareness…looks to set up his linemates with timely passes, but can also finish off the play when the opportunity is there…has nice size and uses it to protect the puck…has a quick jump and agility on his feet, but is not really a speed demon screaming up the ice…plays aggressively both when his team does and does not have the puck; often hunting it down and stripping it from his opponent."

-Future Considerations

Vilardi has both great playmaking skills as well as the ability to finish off plays using his hard and accurate wrist shot. Due to his size, he is hard to separate from the puck and uses his long reach to protect the puck successfully. "

-Dennis Schellenberg Hockey Prospectus

“Vilardi is a big center with excellent hockey sense and a powerful ripper of a shot. His skating needs to improve, but scouts aren’t too worried. One noted that he’s already better than Mark Stone at the same age…” – 

-Ryan Kennedy, The Hockey News

The power forward prospect also has a very good wrist shot and an excellent release. His shot is powerful and deadly accurate. He also has the hands to finish plays in tight to the net, scoring on rebounds, tip-ins and one-time plays. His hockey IQ is also above average. Vilardi makes smart plays with the puck, as well as understanding how to get open without it.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/03/31/gabriel-vilardi-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-3/

Gabe is also a threat in the offensive zone. A slick, nifty puck handler, Vilardi has that exceptional ability to deke in close range on defenders to create room for a shot or drive the net to undress the goaltender.

He also owns a heavy shot with an incredibly quick release that is tough for netminders to track.

http://puckprose.com/2016/12/28/nhl-draft-profile-gabriel-vilardi/

And the fact that you are calling Dal Colle a bust is quite amusing.  He hasn't even turned 21 yet, he just played in his first full AHL season putting up 45 points in 75 games. If he's a bust, you must love Virtanen?

Archived