The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] The 5th Pick of 2017 Draft

Ichiban604

Canucks will draft...  

440 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just now, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Oh boy. Here's hoping that Vilardi won't be available at number 5.

Hey if he's already gone JB can do whatever his little heart desires. There is a chance Heiskanen and Mittelstadt are taken before..... JB better do the right thing. 

17 minutes ago, messier's_elbow said:

Hey if he's already gone JB can do whatever his little heart desires. There is a chance Heiskanen and Mittelstadt are taken before..... JB better do the right thing. 

Right thing in your eyes of course, right? 

I won't be shocked if we end up picking a D like Liljegrin. Benning doesn't necessarily go with popular opinion and sometimes he's right and other times wrong. Jake=wrong, Boeser=oh so right

8 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

I won't be shocked if we end up picking a D like Liljegrin. Benning doesn't necessarily go with popular opinion and sometimes he's right and other times wrong. Jake=wrong, Boeser=oh so right

Boeser was the best thing JB has done. I'm not that big on Liljegren, I have him around 10th. Good skater with skill but doesn't scream can't miss prospect to me. 

Just now, messier's_elbow said:

Boeser was the best thing JB has done. I'm not that big on Liljegren, I have him around 10th. Good skater with skill but doesn't scream can't miss prospect to me. 

I think he's going to be the steal of the draft if he falls that far. Guy was sick all year and over scouted. He's this year Chychrun

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

If Canucks have a chance at Vilardi and we pass, I'm done with this management team. 

They might just have Glass and perhaps even Necas and Liljegrin ahead of him.... prepare yourself for that.

1 hour ago, RetroCanuck said:

Benning does like Liljegrin. Offensive Dman, looks great with Juolevi. But Benning also knows if he does pick a Dman, Vancity will burn him. So I think, he will try to pick up another 10 pick, to pick a Dman.

Just now, Ichiban604 said:

Benning does like Liljegrin. Offensive Dman, looks great with Juolevi. But Benning also knows if he does pick a Dman, Vancity will burn him. So I think, he will try to pick up another 10 pick, to pick a Dman.

How does JB get another top 10 pick?

3 minutes ago, Ichiban604 said:

Maybe Tanev?

Ya, that would be great.  Two top ten picks would sure be a decent reward for us suffering through such a crappy season, and then experiencing the bad luck at the lotto.  We deserve to enjoy the draft.

I dont see how soooo many are hyped on Vilardi. Good forechecker, good passer, good hockey IQ. But, every time i saw him, he never drives the play. I saw Glass play a couple times and he has the extra gear. I would be taking him or Liljegren, unless Heiskanen was there then i would take him. 

The way i see it im content with whoever they take. Unless its Rasmussen or Tippet. Then and only then id be pissed. 

Can't go wrong with Glass, Mittelstatd or Vilardi depending on who's available. As long as they don't go for the Heiskanen/Liljegren/Tippett bait. We've needed a top line center for a long time and while none of the 3 centers are elite, they have the potential to be one of the top guys of the draft if we develop them properly. It'll be up to scouts to tell us which one is the best and best fit for the Canucks. I've preached Vilardi's name for a long time, especially due to his age and reach, but he isn't as good a skater and JB is trying to build a fast team, especially after watching fast scorers succeed in the playoffs nowadays. Size isn't everything. That being said we've got some very small, skinny wingers in the ranks.

5 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Out of curiosity, what's the difference between playing at home and on the road? The only thing I can think of is the coach's substitution. My son played a high level of hockey, and I don't think there's a difference in his stats home or away. It's not like basketball where if you're on the road, people are doing crazy stuff when you're about to shoot free throws or you can hear the taunts when you screw up. I've asked my son multiple times whether he could hear through the helmet the crowd (especially the parents) shouting, and he said, "no."

Good question, quite honestly I don't even know either.

I think teams like knowing that you can not only perform under pressure at home, but when the favor is only for the home team, and you are the away team, it can be intimidating.  Some players can block it out and others cannot.  Is it overly important? To some degree, you do want a player that can be efficient at home and away, that they can produce on a nightly basis regardless of what building they play in.  

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

I dont see how soooo many are hyped on Vilardi. Good forechecker, good passer, good hockey IQ. But, every time i saw him, he never drives the play. I saw Glass play a couple times and he has the extra gear. I would be taking him or Liljegren, unless Heiskanen was there then i would take him. 

The way i see it im content with whoever they take. Unless its Rasmussen or Tippet. Then and only then id be pissed. 

Vilardi is the definition of "driving the play". Dude literally holds the puck until he has a great play and then makes that play. 

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Can't go wrong with Glass, Mittelstatd or Vilardi depending on who's available. As long as they don't go for the Heiskanen/Liljegren/Tippett bait. We've needed a top line center for a long time and while none of the 3 centers are elite, they have the potential to be one of the top guys of the draft if we develop them properly. It'll be up to scouts to tell us which one is the best and best fit for the Canucks. I've preached Vilardi's name for a long time, especially due to his age and reach, but he isn't as good a skater and JB is trying to build a fast team, especially after watching fast scorers succeed in the playoffs nowadays. Size isn't everything. That being said we've got some very small, skinny wingers in the ranks.

:) It is, if you don't have any in you line up.

Glass, Mittelstadt, Vilardi, Heiskanen would all be great.    Makar is interesting but taking him so high worries me.  Same with Liljegren.

If JB isn't thrilled with who is available at # 5, trade back - there are a lot of teams wanting D, so Arizona or Buffalo might want to move up to grab one of the top D, or maybe another team wants one of the top centers.  Dropping 3-4 spots or even back into the 12-14 spot makes little difference this year -  we'll still get a good center or Defenceman.  If JB picks someone he likes at 5, super.   But if not, drop back, gain assets, and pick a marginally different player.

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Like Draisiatl, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Pavelski, Backstrom, Malkin. Heck Bonino put up 18 points in 24 games last post season and he's brutal skater.

Oilers have McDavid but outside of him they really aren't fast (lucic, Maroon, Leon)

It's the combination of size, speed and skill that teams need. If JB really wants to speed up the pace of this team it's to get quick transitioning D that can move the puck up, like the ducks have on their roster. 

Archived