The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sidney Crosby and Conor Sheary out with concussions for Game 4 (and possibly longer)

28 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

hornqvist should be suspended for his elbow shick to shearys face total reckless play doesnt matter if they are on same team guys so dirty 

He said "wish him all the best"

Doesn't matter if Sheary got hit with friendly fire you should want both players to recover properly 

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Hope Crosby can recover from this concussion.  Sad to see Crosby struggle with this injury so much.

Regarding Niskanen, I really don't think it was intentional.  Was it negligent?  Maybe, but at that speed, I think it's really hard to avoid contact, not to mention that the play was still live. It looked to me like Niskanen was trying to focus on the play while bracing for impact with Crosby and Crosby dropped with his head impacting into Niskanen's hands/stick.  Ovechkin's slash just before Crosby's head injury was way more of an intentional infliction of pain than Niskanen making contact with Crosby's head.

Again, sad to see Crosby go down again with a concussion.  Hopefully Sheary is OK too.

It's quite an accusation to ponder if Niskanen intentionally tried to hurt Crosby. Niskanen was a Penguin for five seasons, Sidney was his teammate. He knows a lot of the guys on that bench. I bet some of them are even his friends. I can't see it.

2 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

Good call. He should get out while the getting still might be good.He doesn't need to be cross checked in the head anymore consequence free; he's made a ton of money.

I would love to see him retire and go out ripping the NHL for not protecting star players, that would be a powerful statement against the unfrozen cavemen that run that league.The NHL doesn't deserve Crosby and MCDavid. Let them try to sell pure violence and see how that goes for them. It really couldn't happen to a better league.

The NHL has proven time and time again that (even though it is a business) that they are not there to protect their players, even the stars. Sadly I think it would take something like Sid having to retire to really put the underlying issue under the spotlight to protect the future stars like McDavid.

Not saying Sid should retire (I would hate to see that), but having a family member go through multiple concussions and 2 years later still getting some symptoms, it's a scary thing. 

1 hour ago, Salmonberries said:

Good call. He should get out while the getting still might be good.He doesn't need to be cross checked in the head anymore consequence free; he's made a ton of money.

I would love to see him retire and go out ripping the NHL for not protecting star players, that would be a powerful statement against the unfrozen cavemen that run that league.The NHL doesn't deserve Crosby and MCDavid. Let them try to sell pure violence and see how that goes for them. It really couldn't happen to a better league.

He can't rip the league after his career for anything the sports agency that controls his income wouldn't allow it. Endorsements will still roll in for a while. Probably a clause in his contract with them allowing them  to seek damages if that revenue dries up.

6 hours ago, gurn said:

If it was not Crosby, would people still be as upset? Iirc  a lot of people were stoked watching the Canadian junior team running Ovie every chance they got, granted a few years back and viewpoints change with experience.

Yes, because it gets TV coverage.  Mothers and fathers think twice about their kids playing hockey when they see craziness like this.  Yes, I say craziness.  What we saw was not sport.  It was reckless and at minimum inconsideration for another player's safety.    The league is two-faced, yeah we want to cut down on concussions but some types of head contact is okay - that doesn't hold water.   You cannot have a fuzzy line on this.    

3 hours ago, Mustapha said:

It's quite an accusation to ponder if Niskanen intentionally tried to hurt Crosby. Niskanen was a Penguin for five seasons, Sidney was his teammate. He knows a lot of the guys on that bench. I bet some of them are even his friends. I can't see it.

I agree.  I understand the emotion from Penguins fans but when you watch that play at speed, I find it really difficult to blame Niskanen.  When I first heard about it, I was thinking it was like Duncan Keith on Daniel Sedin but it was far from that.

On 2017-05-02 at 11:17 AM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Man... it's always Washington if you look at the original headshot by Steckel years ago... that dude should have been gone from the game forever. I find it utterly disguising nowadays that no one wrapped there stick right through niskanens teeth for this. Intentional or not a price has to be paid when someone takes out your best player in the playoffs.

I'm with ya.

It was a check to the head, period.

Your stick is a shock absorber. But he didn't use it as such, did he? 

These guys take slap asses with ease, yet somehow, this one time, this guy can't help himself but to have stone hands and run his stick into Crosby's ear? 

You silly people. I was a mean, dirty SOB player and tell you, like Don Cherry will, this was intentional and dirty. You've never cross checked anyone into the neck or head at speed if you think differently and have no position stating your opinion on it. 

9 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It was a check to the head, period.

Your stick is a shock absorber. But he didn't use it as such, did he? 

These guys take slap asses with ease, yet somehow, this one time, this guy can't help himself but to have stone hands and run his stick into Crosby's ear? 

You silly people. I was a mean, dirty SOB player and tell you, like Don Cherry will, this was intentional and dirty. You've never cross checked anyone into the neck or head at speed if you think differently and have no position stating your opinion on it. 

Lol nailed it. To the amateur eye it looks unintentional I bet, but Cherry and other guys that have played are calling it intentional and I played in a role where I did some awfully dirty things back in jrs. I can honestly say that at the NHL level(way higher than I ever got with way more skill and speed) theres about a 99% chance it was intentional. 

Practising with the team today! Hope the caps do what they only know how to do, and the pens get a few days off before the next series, with or without Sid.

But it's going to be interesting what happens throughout the summer, if symptoms reappear for his ordinary activities he has to seriously consider retiring

Archived