The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

End of MP3?

Get ready to replace your records, tapes, CDs....

Apparently, Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits, a division of the state-funded German research institution that funded the MP3’s development in the late ’80s, has decided to no longer issue licenses for certain MP3-related patents and software of Technicolor and Fraunhofer IIS. In other words, they want the MP3 to retire and make way for other better formats of storing music that have appeared on the scene of late.

Bernhard Grill, a Fraunhofer director and one of the principals in the development of the MP3 told NPR in an email that Advanced Audio Coding (or AAC) is now the “de facto standard for music download and videos on mobile phones.” AAC is the default audio format used by Apple for ripping music from CD into iTunes.

https://www.techworm.net/2017/05/end-era-creators-mp3-abandon-file-format.html

40 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

WAV sounds so much better than MP3 so its been the format ive been using in the past but its file size is way bigger.

I use MP3's for learning songs. As long as you can hear well enough to make out the chord changes, it's good enough. WAV files are way too big.

55 minutes ago, Toni Zamboni said:

WAV sounds so much better than MP3 so its been the format ive been using in the past but its file size is way bigger.

Use FLAC.  Completely lossless and you save a ton of space over WAV.  Still bigger than MP3 but manageable.

Just now, higgyfan said:

So does mine, but my FIIO sounds way better.

No argument (except to say that compatibility isn't an excuse for not going lossless)  Really depends on how good your phone's DAC is though.  Apple and Samsung's are garbage.  My HTC M9's was pretty damn good for it's time, and then there's the LG V20 which is an absolute beast.

A dedicated player's an improvement for sure though, especially if your cans are harder to drive.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

No argument (except to say that compatibility isn't an excuse for not going lossless)  Really depends on how good your phone's DAC is though.  Apple and Samsung's are garbage.  My HTC M9's was pretty damn good for it's time, and then there's the LG V20 which is an absolute beast.

A dedicated player's an improvement for sure though, especially if your cans are harder to drive.

I like to play my music through my home system and my Samsung (garbage for sure) is sh**e.  Definitely Lossless is the way to go and if you can get top notch sound on your phone, that's a savings right there.

this seems like a conversation for 15 years ago. even I felt like a member of a dying community when I was pirating music two or three years ago.

these days there's virtually no need to download music unless it's to get your hands on a leak. 

streaming is current and the future.

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

this seems like a conversation for 15 years ago. even I felt like a member of a dying community when I was pirating music two or three years ago.

these days there's virtually no need to download music unless it's to get your hands on a leak. 

streaming is current and the future.

Archival purposes and no need for data on phone.  I don't want ANYONE other than myself to have any control over what I'm able to access.  Quality on streams is also less than lossless unless you're willing to pay to let someone else decide what you can and can't listen to.

MP3 are similar to cassettes of the past. The best medium for poor music fans. The worst medium for the music industry.  

I feel more that streaming (specifically Spotify) replaced radio. And major labels don't seem satisfied with only streaming revenue, they probably will continue to push to sell copies via iStore, Google Play, etc..  probably with video and bonus footage, etc.. 

MPEG-H 3D Audio is what they are pushing next. Which is the standard to accompany 4K HD video. I think it will also result in less need for FLAC, WAV, OGG, etc.. as well. 

I predict in a year or 2 people will be walking around streaming 4K HD music videos, using 100GB of bandwidth per minute, watching it on a 3 inch screen with mono audio output from their phone speaker.  

Archived