The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Malkin is the best Russian player in the game

he is a great player but i can't stand him.he's a petulant crybaby,he concussed mitchell and got away with it.when he dropped the gloves it was one of the funniest thing i ever saw,it was like putin trying to put on a hockey helmut.so awkward.and they call him gino?an odjick he's not.

On 5/26/2017 at 6:17 AM, apollo said:

I have to disagree with this... Swap Malkin and Ovie on their respective teams and see who has more success. 

Put Ovie on the second line with favourable matchups most his career and see who has more success... 

Ovie is the better player IMO. Brings such a physical factor too. 

I'd %100 take ovie over gino on any given team... the guy is 1 season removed from back to back to back 50 goal seasons 

Ovie on Crosby's wing?:o Give goalies nightmares

On 5/28/2017 at 1:27 PM, playboi19 said:

Bo will have more of an impact in the playoffs. He plays all areas of the game and does the dirty work.

Bo will have more impact than Ovi? $10 million dollar Ovi? 3 time Hart trophy winner, 6 time Rocket Richard winner, 90 points in 97 playoff games Ovi? I understand being a homer but this is ridiculous.

12 hours ago, smokes said:

Bo will have more impact than Ovi? $10 million dollar Ovi? 3 time Hart trophy winner, 6 time Rocket Richard winner, 90 points in 97 playoff games Ovi? I understand being a homer but this is ridiculous.

How many Cups has Ovi amassed with all those trophies? How many times has he got past the 2nd round? Last time I checked Barry Trotz moved him to the 3rd line.

We'll see who's more valuable once our team gets good. 

14 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

How many Cups has Ovi amassed with all those trophies? How many times has he got past the 2nd round? Last time I checked Barry Trotz moved him to the 3rd line.

Stevie Y gets accolades for playing one on leg, Ovie gets derision?

2 hours ago, playboi19 said:

And what has Bo done in his career? Bo had 4 points in his first playoff year, Ovie had 9. Bo will be lucky to get to Linden's level. Ovie? keep dreaming.

1 hour ago, smokes said:

And what has Bo done in his career? Bo had 4 points in his first playoff year, Ovie had 9. Bo will be lucky to get to Linden's level. Ovie? keep dreaming.

Our team was going downhill when he came on board. Ovi level isn't anything to brag about when it comes to winning any team championships.

The title is "best Russian player in the game", not "best Russian player to have ever played the game". 

Therefore I say it obviously has to be Goldobin because he is the only Russian Canuck.:P

1 hour ago, playboi19 said:

Our team was going downhill when he came on board. Ovi level isn't anything to brag about when it comes to winning any team championships.

It's not but comparing Horvat to Ovi is a bit of a stretch. Horvat vs Kesler maybe in a few years but Horvat is not in the same stratosphere as Ovi.

On 2017-5-24 at 8:58 AM, gurn said:

Malkin plays and rates behind Crosby, Ovi was never the second best player on his team.

Yet half the time when cbc is droning on about Crosby being the best player in the leage he isn't even the best player on his team. Malkin has outplayed him for a few big stretches of his career, and Ovi hasn't had anything close to an equal on his team ever. 

19 hours ago, smokes said:

It's not but comparing Horvat to Ovi is a bit of a stretch. Horvat vs Kesler maybe in a few years but Horvat is not in the same stratosphere as Ovi.

We're not comparing the players, we're comparing their effectiveness only in the playoffs. I'll take the guy who can win win a big draw, block a shot, back-check and score. Ovi is a great scorer but he's too one-dimensional and gets shut down easily 5v5.

1 hour ago, playboi19 said:

We're not comparing the players, we're comparing their effectiveness only in the playoffs. I'll take the guy who can win win a big draw, block a shot, back-check and score. Ovi is a great scorer but he's too one-dimensional and gets shut down easily 5v5.

Some would argue that the Canucks have too many players that can block shots and back-check. The Canucks need a player that can score. Horvat has scored a total of  49 goals in 231 games with a plus minus of -45. Horvat still has a long ways to go.

Archived