The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Top Ten NHL teams of All Time

https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-centennial/top-10-greatest-nhl-teams

Top 10 Greatest NHL Teams

Hockey fans have spoken.

After three rounds of head-to-head voting, these teams were determined by you, the fans, as the greatest Stanley Cup Champions of All-Time

Did your team make the cut? Join the conversation, share your memories #NHL100

cut.jpg

1984-85 Edmonton Oilers

Wayne Gretzky caps a 208-point regular season by setting playoff records for assists and points as the Oilers take a second straight championship in their third consecutive trip to the Final

cut.jpg

1991-92 Pittsburgh Penguins

From young star Jaromir Jagr to cagey veteran Bryan Trottier, the talent-packed Penguins repeat as champions, adorned with back-to-back Conn Smythe Trophies for captain Mario Lemieux

cut.jpg

1976-77 Montreal Canadiens

Captain Serge Savard's team loses a combined 10 regular-season and postseason games, highlighted by Ken Dryden's 14 shutouts, and sweeps the Boston Bruins for the second of four straight titles

cut.jpg

1987-88 Edmonton Oilers

Despite Game 4 of the Cup Final in the Boston Garden suspended due to fog, Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier and company lose just two playoff games, rolling to their fourth Cup title in five years

cut.jpg

1986-87 Edmonton Oilers

Oilers win Presidents' Trophy for a second straight year with three of the four top-scoring players in the League before beating the Philadelphia Flyers in seven games for their third championship in four seasons

cut.jpg

1997-98 Detroit Red Wings

Chris Osgood and a team laden with future Hall of Famers cap a challenging season dedicated to injured Vladimir Konstantinov by sweeping the Flyers to win back-to-back championships

cut.jpg

1982-83 New York Islanders

Goalie Billy Smith allows six goals, none to Wayne Gretzky, and the Islanders sweep the surging Oilers to secure the dynasty's fourth straight championship

cut.jpg

1977-78 Montreal Canadiens

Powered by nine future Hall of Famers, the Canadiens sweep the Maple Leafs before beating the Bruins in the Final for the second consecutive year to win the third of four straight championships

cut.jpg

1983-84 Edmonton Oilers

The torch is passed as the Presidents' Trophy-winning Oilers defeat the Islanders in five games for their first Stanley Cup title, ending a dynasty that won four straight championships and 19 consecutive series

cut.jpg

2001-02 Detroit Red Wings

Scotty Bowman coaches a veteran roster consisting of nine players bound for the Hall of Fame to a five-game Cup Final win against the Carolina Hurricanes and the Red Wings' third Stanley Cup title in six years

If the nucks won it all in '11 do you think that team would of cracked this list?  They lead the league in quite a few categories iirc like GF/GA/PP% and of coarse 1st overall in points in a salary cap era. 

BS polls with biased results.    Where are any teams from the first 70ish years of the NHL?   This should instead be a poll of greatest "modern era" teams and even then, there is a pre-post cap era aspect.    

46 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

If the nucks won it all in '11 do you think that team would of cracked this list?  They lead the league in quite a few categories iirc like GF/GA/PP% and of coarse 1st overall in points in a salary cap era. 

What are you talking about? The 2011 Canucks had 117 points, that's not most in the salary cap era. For example Washington had 118 this season...

Also this list is total bogus, 40 % of the list is the Gretzky Oilers, don't understand how that is fun.

30 minutes ago, The Game said:

What are you talking about? The 2011 Canucks had 117 points, that's not most in the salary cap era. For example Washington had 118 this season...

Also this list is total bogus, 40 % of the list is the Gretzky Oilers, don't understand how that is fun.

I meant that season they had the most points and they did that in a salary cap era whereas most of the teams on that list did not have salary cap restrictions.

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

BS polls with biased results.    Where are any teams from the first 70ish years of the NHL?   This should instead be a poll of greatest "modern era" teams and even then, there is a pre-post cap era aspect.    

Some fabulous teams on that list, but I agree, it should be split up.

How can you not mention Chicago (3 time winners) and LA (2 time winners).

33 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

So no teams since the lockout, interesting.

I think if we'd won either game 6 or 7 in 2011, we'd be on that list. The 2011 Canucks were arguably one of the best teams ever assembled. Four scoring lines, five top 4 D, (three were top 2), and two elite goaltenders.

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

If they had won, they instantly become one of the greatest team in my opinion. 

2 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

I think if the Canucks won in 2011, they may have been voted as the Worst Stanley Cup champions of all time. Canucks get no love. Quite the opposite.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I agree, must be some kind of love affair with Wayne Gretzky these days. I hope he's okay. They named 4 of the Oilers 5 Cups in the Top 10? Ridiculous. Well, at least they didn't have the Leafs 1967 win.

It seems the more Hall of Famers on the team the more votes it got.  If the Nucks won in '11 they would probably would of have 2, maybe 3 HoF? Sedins and Luongo? 

The only reason I bring up the Canucks is just how dominate that team was in terms of the categories it led in(GF, GA, etc.) during that one season and how few, if any, HoF'ers they had.

56 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

It seems the more Hall of Famers on the team the more votes it got.  If the Nucks won in '11 they would probably would of have 2, maybe 3 HoF? Sedins and Luongo? 

The only reason I bring up the Canucks is just how dominate that team was in terms of the categories it led in(GF, GA, etc.) during that one season and how few, if any, HoF'ers they had.

Yeah it does seem like on top of the recency effect, people just looked for stacked rosters instead of teams that actually dominated.

As for the Canucks, if they had won the Cup would probably consider them the best post-lockout team and at least in the top 20 of all-time, quite possibly top 15. Top 10 might be a stretch, but it would be close.

22 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

@-AJ- I'm not the only one who thinks tha at least one of the Montreal teams from 1956-60 should've won right?

Personally, I've found that the 70s Canadiens were actually the strongest overall. The 50s ones obviously had a longer streak, but the 70s teams were more dominant. That said, some of the 50s teams were still more deserving than a few of the Oilers teams that made this list.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Personally, I've found that the 70s Canadiens were actually the strongest overall. The 50s ones obviously had a longer streak, but the 70s teams were more dominant. That said, some of the 50s teams were still more deserving than a few of the Oilers teams that made this list.

1957 was one of the top 5 best teams IMO

2 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

1957 was one of the top 5 best teams IMO

Eh, they were good and won the Cup with an 8-2 record, but finished second to the Red Wings in the regular season. I'd say the 1955-56 team was better since they also went 8-2 in the playoffs and dominated the regular season.

Archived