The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McGregor vs Mayweather August 26th

DoughtysCheck

14 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

There is some talk recently with the betting line coming down and getting  closer to a pick em' that MacGregor will win in a fix and they will have a rematch in January or something.

Speaking of that greasy guido Paulie Mags would love to see somebody beat his ass.

Not a chance.  That would be incredibly stupid.  Too many people would have to be involved and someone would squeal sooner rather than later.  Then prison sentences would be had for everyone and anyone involved.

8 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Not a chance.  That would be incredibly stupid.  Too many people would have to be involved and someone would squeal sooner rather than later.  Then prison sentences would be had for everyone and anyone involved.

Yeah that doesn't seem plausible at all. Floyd is 49-0, Floyd's pride > money from rematch.

11 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

What a joke and absolute mockery of the sport. Blah. 

How do you figure?  It's not a real championship belt.  It's just WBC's way of pushing it's name into the year's biggest fight.  They had a million dollar Emerald belt made for the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight...

Wonder what that belt is worth..definitely a nice strap for Floyd to add to his collection. 

Floyd has proven time and time again that you should never bet against him. I would expect it to be no different. 49-0 tonight, come Saturday night 50-0. 

Nate Diaz: McGregor 'has a great chance' to defeat Mayweather

Jack BrowneAug 24 2017, 11:44 AM

Warning: Story contains coarse language

Few in the combat sports world are giving Conor McGregor much of a shot to take down the undefeated Floyd Mayweather in his first professional boxing match Saturday.

Nate Diaz isn't among them.

"I think he (McGregor) has a great chance," Diaz said on the "Against All Odds with Cousin Sal" podcast, according to MMAFighting.com's Dave Doyle.

Diaz knows what McGregor's capable of better than most. The Stockton native shockingly defeated the Irishman via submission in their first bout in March 2016 and lost a closely-fought, five-round war with McGregor five months later.

"I've fought the top pros in the fight game, the best fighters in the world, and done better than a lot of them," Diaz said. "I fought Conor for 25 minutes, I believe he's definitely going to have a chance.

Fighting and beating the best boxer pound for pound in the world right now? That's another story but a fight's a fight and we're going to have to watch and see what happens. Hopefully it will be a hell of a fight."

Diaz - who hasn't fought since his rematch with McGregor last August - is hoping a win for his rival will force the doubters in the boxing community to eat their words.

"What happens when Conor wins, let's say he wins, and all this s--t these boxers talk, aww all this s--t, oh you thought you knew but you don't know s--t because you say stuff like he doesn't stand a chance," said Diaz. "They should know, being fighters, in a fight, everyone stands a chance, and if they're saying that there's no chance, that's a problem.

"The ignorance is crazy, because no one actually knows except for fighters like me and my brother who have sparred with the high-level pros. I know if I went into a fight like that, I'd be like 'don't ever count me out, watch me win this s--t,' so I've got to believe that the more people talk like that, gives him more of a chance of having more and more motivation. That makes things more entertaining, more interesting."

21 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

Nate Diaz: McGregor 'has a great chance' to defeat Mayweather

Jack BrowneAug 24 2017, 11:44 AM

Warning: Story contains coarse language

Few in the combat sports world are giving Conor McGregor much of a shot to take down the undefeated Floyd Mayweather in his first professional boxing match Saturday.

Nate Diaz isn't among them.

"I think he (McGregor) has a great chance," Diaz said on the "Against All Odds with Cousin Sal" podcast, according to MMAFighting.com's Dave Doyle.

Diaz knows what McGregor's capable of better than most. The Stockton native shockingly defeated the Irishman via submission in their first bout in March 2016 and lost a closely-fought, five-round war with McGregor five months later.

"I've fought the top pros in the fight game, the best fighters in the world, and done better than a lot of them," Diaz said. "I fought Conor for 25 minutes, I believe he's definitely going to have a chance.

Fighting and beating the best boxer pound for pound in the world right now? That's another story but a fight's a fight and we're going to have to watch and see what happens. Hopefully it will be a hell of a fight."

Diaz - who hasn't fought since his rematch with McGregor last August - is hoping a win for his rival will force the doubters in the boxing community to eat their words.

"What happens when Conor wins, let's say he wins, and all this s--t these boxers talk, aww all this s--t, oh you thought you knew but you don't know s--t because you say stuff like he doesn't stand a chance," said Diaz. "They should know, being fighters, in a fight, everyone stands a chance, and if they're saying that there's no chance, that's a problem.

"The ignorance is crazy, because no one actually knows except for fighters like me and my brother who have sparred with the high-level pros. I know if I went into a fight like that, I'd be like 'don't ever count me out, watch me win this s--t,' so I've got to believe that the more people talk like that, gives him more of a chance of having more and more motivation. That makes things more entertaining, more interesting."

It would be like taken a great decathalete and having him run the 100 against Usain Bolt.  Connor is good in a variety of fighting techniques.  Floyd is the best in one.  Hope Connor wins, but really he doesn't have a chance unless Floyd pulls up with a hamstring.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

It would be like taken a great decathalete and having him run the 100 against Usain Bolt.  Connor is good in a variety of fighting techniques.  Floyd is the best in one.  Hope Connor wins, but really he doesn't have a chance unless Floyd pulls up with a hamstring.

I would tend to agree with you with the caveat that it is a combat sport and literally one punch can knock you out.  It's happened before although Floyd is mostly a defensive fighter who is very hard to hit and has never been knocked out before or even lost professionally.  However, Floyd is 40 and hasn't fought in 2 years.  So McGregor not only has the punchers chance but he also is fighting Floyd at his worst time in his career in terms of age and conditioning.  Does Floyd still have his speed, can he get away from McGregor and not be susceptible to the big left hand?

Even Nate Diaz thinks McGregor has a shot.  Diaz has trained with top boxers all his life.  And McGregor hit him hard in their 2nd fight and Diaz went down multiple times.  And Diaz has 4 inches and 30+ pounds on Floyd.  So we will see.  I don't expect Conor to actually win the fight because Floyd may just run around and out point him in every round. But it would be pretty cool if McGregor actually knocked him out.  That would be legendary...

32 minutes ago, Harvey Spector said:

I would tend to agree with you with the caveat that it is a combat sport and literally one punch can knock you out.  It's happened before although Floyd is mostly a defensive fighter who is very hard to hit and has never been knocked out before or even lost professionally.  However, Floyd is 40 and hasn't fought in 2 years.  So McGregor not only has the punchers chance but he also is fighting Floyd at his worst time in his career in terms of age and conditioning.  Does Floyd still have his speed, can he get away from McGregor and not be susceptible to the big left hand?

Even Nate Diaz thinks McGregor has a shot.  Diaz has trained with top boxers all his life.  And McGregor hit him hard in their 2nd fight and Diaz went down multiple times.  And Diaz has 4 inches and 30+ pounds on Floyd.  So we will see.  I don't expect Conor to actually win the fight because Floyd may just run around and out point him in every round. But it would be pretty cool if McGregor actually knocked him out.  That would be legendary...

Yes, I would love to see Connor knock Floyd out too.  I don't think anyone is cheering for Mayweather, not even his wife. B)

9 hours ago, Harvey Spector said:

I watch Diaz box and it makes me want to puke to be honest.  

Archived