Kahri Lehtonen

Antti Niemi

DAL 1st (3rd overall pick)

then we flip the pick...

To Colorado

To Vancouver

Tyson Jost

Draft Makar at 5 and trade up into the 1st round with the VAN 2nd and CBJ 2nd to draft C Robert Thomas

Summary: Vancouver trades Tanev for Jost (+2 cap dumps), drafts Makar at 5, and trades up into the 1st round to draft Thomas. The Canucks reunite NCAA teammates Jost and Boeser and they could form 2/3 of our next top line. Dallas gets their shutdown RHD and gets rid of their overpaid goalies. Colorado adds the third overall pick to draft the consensus best defenseman (according to Bob McKenzie's final rankings) Miro Heiskanen in hopes that he and Zadorov can stabilize that train-wreck of a defense that they have. Colorado still has the fourth overall pick to select a BPA forward to replace Jost.

Why does Colorado want the #3 overall when they already own the #4 overall?

Basically what your suggesting is them trading a top prospect center who's only 19 years old and already playing in the NHL, for the opportunity to draft a 18 year old center coming out of junior?  I don't understand what motive there is for them to do that?

8 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Why does Colorado want the #3 overall when they already own the #4 overall?

Basically what your suggesting is them trading a top prospect center who's only 19 years old and already playing in the NHL, for the opportunity to draft a 18 year old center coming out of junior?  I don't understand what motive there is for them to do that?

It was for them to be able to draft the top rated defenseman in addition to the forward they would likely have drafted at 4. Trade a top centre prospect for a top defense prospect (Heiskanen) who could step into the NHL as early as this coming season. Defensemen are a much-coveted commodity these days, considering recent trades of Adam Larsson and Misha Sergachev.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Jost is good but not elite. I'd rather hedge my bets with Vilardi if we've got the 3rd overall or Glass/Mittelstatd with the 5th.

That's fair. I personally think his ceiling is that of a point per game first line centre. Similar ceiling to that of Vilardi/Glass/Mittelstadt. Pulling off a PPG as an NCAA freshman is no easy task, but to look at the highlight reel plays that he had against guys that are 1,2,3 or even 4 years older than him hint that there's something special in Jost.

The main reason why I think Jost would be a better addition to the team than Vilardi/Glass/Mittelstadt/Pettersson is that we would have direct control of his development as we decide if he's good enough to play in the NHL or needs more seasoning in the AHL.

20 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

To Dallas

Chris Tanev

To Vancouver

Kahri Lehtonen

Antti Niemi

then we flip the pick...

To Colorado

To Vancouver

Tyson Jost

Colorado needs Dmen ...why wouldn't you just give the Avs Tanev in a deal instead of this pointless trade with Dallas ?

1 hour ago, canuckmen84 said:

Colorado needs Dmen ...why wouldn't you just give the Avs Tanev in a deal instead of this pointless trade with Dallas ?

Colorado does get a defenseman in this trade.

Tanev is a RHD and is 27 years old. The Avalanche have Barrie and Johnson on the right side.

Heiskanen, the player I propose they draft with the 3rd overall pick, is LHD but can play both sides and hasn't even turned 18 yet. Heiskanen could step into the NHL in a year or two.

10+ years of Heiskanen or 5 years of Tanev? Especially when their core of MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, and Zadorov is 24 and under. Add Heiskanen and Vilardi/Glass to that group and they will be balanced with size speed and skill on both forward and defense.

1 hour ago, Blömqvist said:

Colorado does get a defenseman in this trade.

Tanev is a RHD and is 27 years old. The Avalanche have Barrie and Johnson on the right side.

Heiskanen, the player I propose they draft with the 3rd overall pick, is LHD but can play both sides and hasn't even turned 18 yet. Heiskanen could step into the NHL in a year or two.

10+ years of Heiskanen or 5 years of Tanev? Especially when their core of MacKinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, and Zadorov is 24 and under. Add Heiskanen and Vilardi/Glass to that group and they will be balanced with size speed and skill on both forward and defense.

My point is Colorado needs a Dman not another pick, why would Colorado give up Jost for the 3rd pick when Heiskanen could just fall to them at 4th.

They have been grooming Jost for awhile now and with the likely departure of duchene they will not want to trade him as he fits the same age group of their new core and addresses their need at center allowing a Duchene trade to happen without leaving a glareing hole in their line up.

BTW Erik Johnson is 29 and Tanev could easily take his place, it's not what i would want to see though.

I would like to see us acquire the 3rd and use it.

Archived