The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will there be a new Gillis?

Hortankin

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

There is no question that he tried to "fast-forward" the rebuild in his first 2.5 years on the job. He traded away more picks than he acquired and he tried to buy low on older, failing prospects that other teams gave up on instead of drafting his own because he didn't want to wait for 18 year-olds.

He had an excellent trade deadline this February that rectified a few of his earlier mistakes but there's still damage to be undone. Not embracing the full rebuild from day 1 has cost us time.

There's more to a rebuild than just drafting. I don't understand how drafting is the only way to a rebuild.

Future via trade:

Dahlen

Goldobin

Gudbranson

Granlund

Baertschi

Sutter

Future via draft:

Virtanen

Demko

Tryamkin?

Gaudette

Boeser

Juolevi

Brisebois (Lack)

Lockwood

McKenzie (Lack)

If you wanted JB to rebuild only through the draft he'd be fired before his drafted guys would even make an impact. JB is building the right way, not the Oiler way

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Gillis didn't ride anyone's success 1st off.  

He had a pretty smooth ride with Luongo, Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins peaking, and with a very good supporting cast.  He did do an admirable job signing guys although not sure NMC could've been limited NTC instead...

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

He had a pretty smooth ride with Luongo, Kesler, Burrows and the Sedins peaking, and with a very good supporting cast.  He did do an admirable job signing guys although not sure NMC could've been limited NTC instead...

The biggest move Gillis made was getting Ehroff here. That's it. Lappiere was good acquisition to.

The core of the team though had nothing to do with Gillis though

I think Burke was good in certain aspect. I think Nonis was a good in certain areas. I think Gillis was good in his own ways. Even if you hand over a great team, a GM may fail to put things together. Gillis did inherit good teams from Burke and Nonis, but he completed it. 

In the same vein, I think JB is strong in certain areas. Whether he can see his hard work to fruition is up to him. GM's, just like players, need to continue to get better and improve on the areas that they are not best at, or at least find someone who can help. I think JB is a reasonable person who is open to other people's ideas, so he may just be around long enough to see his team come together.

3 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

The biggest move Gillis made was getting Ehroff here. That's it. Lappiere was good acquisition to.

Not firing AV was a good move. I was sure that he'd be fired and Gillis would bring his own man to run the bench.

Higgins was a good supplemental player. Malholtra was a big reason why that team was best offensively and defensively. Signing Hamhuis. There are quite a bit of things that he did that helped build a legitimate contender. 

1 hour ago, apollo said:

Well said. MG upgraded so much of our off ice infrastructure and made it a world class organization for free agents to come to (not mentioning all existing players). The off ice operational improvements he made were incredible for the time. 

You're missing Vey deals... The robbing of Bonino and 2nd for Sutter, the Dorset deal... 

He did well this TDL though. That I admit. Had to make up for the atrocious  TDL he had the year before. 

In my mind, Jim is not the right man for the Job, nor is Trevor for keeping him in power. 

Vey deal was similar to the Baertschi deal. 2 second round picks for Baertschi is great.

Sutter > Bonino.. Bonino just has the better team.

Dorset was to remain competitive and JB did say that was his plan as well. Plus Dorset had a huge impact in grooming Horvat into the NHL. Great character locker room presence who has the kind of work ethic you want the young kids to see. Only reason Dorset is an NHL player is because he works his ass off and always plays with intensity. I'd trade a 3rd for that any day of the week.

His atrocious TDL the year before? No1 wanted Vrbata, he's a lazy uninterested bum. Hamhuis had some disrespectful offers and I'm glad JB said no to trading him to scraps. Shows class and respect for his players. JB won't make a trade with an important player like Hamhuis, Burrows, and Hansen unless he knows he's getting a future NHL player. 

JB and Linden are the perfect fit for the job and I will make sure I spray my confidence in them all over CDC to balance out all the unwarranted anti Benning comment.

Benning & Virtanen are the CDC whipping boys nowadays. And both are going to make a lot of people choke on their words

18 minutes ago, khay said:

Not firing AV was a good move. I was sure that he'd be fired and Gillis would bring his own man to run the bench.

Higgins was a good supplemental player. Malholtra was a big reason why that team was best offensively and defensively. Signing Hamhuis. There are quite a bit of things that he did that helped build a legitimate contender. 

Yes he made some decent moves but the core of the team he had no impact on other than Hamhuis and if you can consider Ehroff as core than that's 2 pieces. MG gets way more credit than he deserves IMO. 

2 hours ago, TimberWolf said:

And couldn't make the playoffs with it

Way to swerve the guy's point. 

The GM acquires the players and it is the coach that coaches the team to success or otherwise. 

So imo Gillis landed on his feet here as Hortankin says, granted he did add a few useful journeymen but the bulk of the work was done before Gillis arrived.

42 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Absolutely.  At the time Vancouver was a desired landing spot for veterans pursuing a cup. Burrows took a discount (which he was later rewarded for) to stay on the team, and even Luongo didn't look for elite pay day which at the time he was right at the top, although his term was a little ridiculous.  For me Gillis didn't really do much of anything other than sign guys to reasonable money

..wished he had more Burke or Quin in him and did more to tweak the lineup.  He was also way too timid with how he dealt with our two star goalies, and played a huge role in allowing it to get where it did.  Should have traded one of them early on, got a comparable asset and kept the good times going.  Overall he was mediocre at best, his drafting was abysmal for the most part, and there was no eye to the future.

8 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Absolutely.  At the time Vancouver was a desired landing spot for veterans pursuing a cup. Burrows took a discount (which he was later rewarded for) to stay on the team, and even Luongo didn't look for elite pay day which at the time he was right at the top, although his term was a little ridiculous.  For me Gillis didn't really do much of anything other than sign guys to reasonable money

..wished he had more Burke or Quin in him and did more to tweak the lineup.  He was also way too timid with how he dealt with our two star goalies, and played a huge role in allowing it to get where it did.  Should have traded one of them early on, got a comparable asset and kept the good times going.  Overall he was mediocre at best, his drafting was abysmal for the most part, and there was no eye to the future.

The way he handled the goaltending is what he should be remembered for. We were destined to be competetive while rebuilding our aging core with Schnieder.  MG destroyed that so like it or not these last couple bad years is on MG not JB. So why everyone is hating on JB blows me away.. he's doing an incredible job. Not his fault he didn't inherit McDavid and Draisitl and have UFA bowing to his feet to join their team like Chiarelli. We have a lot of top end prospects who to me are really under rated, Virtanen and Gaudette being the most under rated.

We need more positivity around here to help wether the next year or 2. Once Boeser, Virtanen, and Dahlen start showing their stuff next year I feel most people will start to see what JB has done. Most people bashing him probably don't look at the bigger picture or track the prospects development

47 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Vey deal was similar to the Baertschi deal. 2 second round picks for Baertschi is great.

Sutter > Bonino.. Bonino just has the better team.

Dorset was to remain competitive and JB did say that was his plan as well. Plus Dorset had a huge impact in grooming Horvat into the NHL. Great character locker room presence who has the kind of work ethic you want the young kids to see. Only reason Dorset is an NHL player is because he works his ass off and always plays with intensity. I'd trade a 3rd for that any day of the week.

His atrocious TDL the year before? No1 wanted Vrbata, he's a lazy uninterested bum. Hamhuis had some disrespectful offers and I'm glad JB said no to trading him to scraps. Shows class and respect for his players. JB won't make a trade with an important player like Hamhuis, Burrows, and Hansen unless he knows he's getting a future NHL player. 

JB and Linden are the perfect fit for the job and I will make sure I spray my confidence in them all over CDC to balance out all the unwarranted anti Benning comment.

Benning & Virtanen are the CDC whipping boys nowadays. And both are going to make a lot of people choke on their words

Hey man, that I fully respect. I did for years with Luongo, Bieksa, Edler, Sbeezus... there has to be a balance when there's so much hate. 

Don't agree with you that he's a good GM but respect your reasoning. I just think we would be in better hands with another GM.

15 minutes ago, apollo said:

Hey man, that I fully respect. I did for years with Luongo, Bieksa, Edler, Sbeezus... there has to be a balance when there's so much hate. 

Don't agree with you that he's a good GM but respect your reasoning. I just think we would be in better hands with another GM.

Time will tell.. 1 of us has to be wrong.. don't take it personally, but I hope it's you :)

39 minutes ago, Hortankin said:

Time will tell.. 1 of us has to be wrong.. don't take it personally, but I hope it's you :)

I'd love nothing more than seeing JB & Trev in our stanley cup winning photo and being proven wrong! I'm just tired of losing.

1 hour ago, Hortankin said:

The way he handled the goaltending is what he should be remembered for. We were destined to be competetive while rebuilding our aging core with Schnieder.  MG destroyed that so like it or not these last couple bad years is on MG not JB. So why everyone is hating on JB blows me away.. he's doing an incredible job. Not his fault he didn't inherit McDavid and Draisitl and have UFA bowing to his feet to join their team like Chiarelli. We have a lot of top end prospects who to me are really under rated, Virtanen and Gaudette being the most under rated.

We need more positivity around here to help wether the next year or 2. Once Boeser, Virtanen, and Dahlen start showing their stuff next year I feel most people will start to see what JB has done. Most people bashing him probably don't look at the bigger picture or track the prospects development

Agreed.  The 2 goalie trades alone are enough to get any GM fired.  Not using the compliance buyout on Luongo was simply inexcusable and Gillis handicapped the franchise for a decade with that trade. Add in the complete failure at the draft table and it's a miracle that idiot lasted as long as he did.  He's unfit to manage a McDonalds, let alone an NHL franchise.

Benning's done a wonderful job of cleaning up the mess that was left for him by the worst GM in franchise history.

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Agreed.  The 2 goalie trades alone are enough to get any GM fired.  Not using the compliance buyout on Luongo was simply inexcusable and Gillis handicapped the franchise for a decade with that trade. Add in the complete failure at the draft table and it's a miracle that idiot lasted as long as he did.  He's unfit to manage a McDonalds, let alone an NHL franchise.

Benning's done a wonderful job of cleaning up the mess that was left with him by the worst GM in franchise history.

Strong words King Heffy, nice to see some balls on the CDC given the amount of Gillis love that I see poking through sometimes for whatever reason.  I think that if things were different and we kept that core of Luongo or Schneider, Kesler and an equally good player in the fold for whatever star goalie we traded, the team would have remained a contender for three or four more years, and with some good UFA signings and trades to the supporting cast possibly even ended up with a cup.  

If we played Tampa instead of Boston, we would have won the cup in five games.  Why didn't Gillis just leave well enough alone?  We were the best team in the league and lost in game seven to one of maybe two teams in the East that could hold their own against us.  

Same team the following year and LA wouldnt have got past us and back to the final we would have gone.

Gillis only did one thing reasonably well and that was sign players to fair cap hits.  He didn't work the phones hard on making trades to help the team, or do anything to keep the gravy train going by letting a goaltending strength become our Achilles heel.  

Then he traded a top five goalie just entering his prime, for a first round pick, not first overall either but ninth!  We got fleeced.

And Luongos supposedly untradeable contract was traded.  Why?   Within a short span we lost two great goalies for a bad of pucks, and aside from Horvat never drafted anything of significance.  Worst GM ever.  By a long shot.

36 minutes ago, apollo said:

I'd love nothing more than seeing JB & Trev in our stanley cup winning photo and being proven wrong! I'm just tired of losing.

Don't worry Apollo, there are some things to look forward to.  Like the next group of stars that come together and take us to the promised land.  Boesser is the real deal, he will become a 30-30 guy and it won't take long.

Juolevi will do fine running our power play and getting the puck to our young forwards and help Demko out on our own end. This year's first draft pick will make a difference, as will the next two or three.  The losing does suck, but it should allow the team to select the next stable of stars that will become our newest hockey Heroes.

1 minute ago, Great Granny said:

Did Rutherford draft any of the key pieces that won Pittsburgh two consecutive cups?

No, but he traded for them. The HBK line was a pretty damn important part of 2016's cup win. Were any of the guys Gillis acquired as vital to the 2011 run?

5 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Your 1st paragraph is that ridiculous I'm not even going to try and argue it.

Burrows would not have got Dahlen 2 years ago, not even close. People wanted to buy Burrows out for no return and a cap penalty. Imagine that.

Fire Gillis right after winning back to back president trophy's?

Atleast think a tiny bit before you speak

1: Nothing ridiculous about my evaluation of the player talent and none of the players have proven otherwise yet. May post what it is you think these players are for a little perspective

2: Did I say that specific trade? I said moving Burrows was too late and it's ridiculous to think Burrows had no value despite what a few posters here posted.

3: absolutely. The trends were obvious that this team was in trouble before December. Trying to add and trade our way out that and trying to win with Bruins hockey was the end for me.

4: Sorry,  I'm from before the internet and keyboard trash talk has no effect on me.  . 

Archived