The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

2017 NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings

NHL Central Scouting has released their final rankings for the 2017 NHL Draft. Below is a breakdown of how OHL players were ranked. If you're curious for a comparison, you can find the midterm rankings here.

Skaters
1. Gabe Vilardi (4)
2. Owen Tippett (7)
3. Nick Suzuki (10)
4. Jason Robertson (14)
5. Isaac Ratcliffe (15)
6. Conor Timmins (18)
7. Nic Hague (20)
8. Robert Thomas (22)
9. Alex Formenton (29)
10. Morgan Forst (31)
11. Eemeli Rasanen (32)
12. Matthew Strome (33)
13. Ivan Lodnia (36)
14. Adam Ruzicka (37)
15. Jonah Gadjovich (39)
16. Sasha Chmelevski (43)
17. Mackenzie Entwistle (44)
18. Nate Schnarr (47)
19. Brady Lyle (48)
20. Markus Phillips (50)
21. Zach Gallant (64)
22. Kirill Maksimov (66)
23. Dmitri Samorukov (69)
24. Maksim Sushko (72)
25. Noel Hoefenmayer (75)
26. Kevin Hancock (91)
27. Greg Meireles (93)
28. Adam Thilander (96)
29. Linus Nyman (100)
30. Marian Studenic (101)
31. Fedor Gordeev (104)
32. Jacob Paquette (105)
33. Ryan McGregor (107)
34. Shaw Boomhower (112)
35. Zach Roberts (113)
36. Austen Keating (115)
37. Drake Rhymsha (118)
38. Jack Studnicka (120)
39. Dylan Seitz (123)
40. Sean Durzi (124)
41. German Poddubnyi (130)
42. Matt Brassard (137)
43. Liam Hawel (141)
44. Jacob Golden (144)
45. Nick McHugh (145)
46. Nick Isaacson (148)
47. Cole Coskey (150)
48. Matthew Philip (152)
49. Trenton Bourque (154)
50. Oliver Castleman (164)
51. Artur Tyanulin (166)
52. Ben Jones (170)
53. Cole Purboo (189)
54. Cole Fraser (197)
55. Brandon Crawley (199)
56. Luke Boka (201)
57. Sean Josling (203)
58. Justin Brazeau (206)
59. Kyle Maclean (209)
60. Otto Makinen (211)
61. Nick Deakin-Poot (213)
62. Ondrej Machala (215)

Goaltenders:
1. Michael Dipietro (4)
2. Kyle Keyser (11)
3. Matthew Villalta (16)
4. Kaden Fulcher (18)
5. Jake McGrath (19)
6. Stephen Dhillon (21)
7. Christian Propp (27)
8. Luke Richardson (30)

Comments:
While there are definitely some discrepancies between my list and NHL CSS's, I find myself agreeing with this ranking more than I usually do. I find that Central Scouting has put way too much emphasis on size in the past, but they really seem to be coming around on the concept of smaller players finding increasing amounts of success in the NHL today.

Here are the biggest risers/fallers compared to the midseason list:
Risers:
Kirill Maksimov +119
Drake Rymsha + 99
German Poddubnyi +87
Fedor Gordeev +84
Matt Brassard +80
Liam Hawel +76 
Zach Roberts +67
Trenton Bourque +63 
Kevin Hancock +57
Artur Tyanulin +51 
Dmitri Samorukov +53
Nick McHugh +31 
Eemeli Rasanen +25
Jonah Gadjovich +21 
Jason Robertson +20

Fallers:
Nick Deakin Poot -78 
Ben Jones -71
Ondrej Machala -68
Anthony Demeo -56
Albert Michnac -55
Greg Meireles -54
Cole Coskey -54
Matyas Svoboda -51
Jack Studnicka -40 
Adam Thilander -37 
Macauley Carson -34
Noel Hoefenmayer -34
Ryan McGregor -28
Joseph Gareffa -26
Austen Keating -23
Dylan Seitz -23
Nate Schnarr -15
Jacob Paquette -15
Matthew Strome -14 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Upvote 1

Just now, diesel_3 said:

I was really set on Glass, but diving in, I found out more and more about Pettersson that I liked.
Just because he is small doesn't mean he is soft, he is HIGHLY skilled and plays hard. He makes players around him better? I'll take a hard working, good team guy over a selfish guy with more skill any day (Even though Pettersson has top end skill).

Yeah, I enjoyed reading about how he's a complete player along with his very high-skill set.  

A lot to like about the kid!

Plus I like that beast we drafted in the 2nd round with our Torts pick.  He plays well with a high skill guy in Suzuki - maybe he can keep people off of Elias one day.

• Upvote 2

Did anyone else's opinion of George McPhee change? I think he is an idiot and messed up his team so bad. So many dumb picks.

You waste your SJ pick cuz Montreal offered you a 5th for Schlemko? Why wouldnt you just take Dillon? You take Lindberg instead of Raanta, who goes for 7th overall. Engelland instead of Kulak cuz he lives in Vegas? Conner Brickley? Nosek over Ouellet or Sheahan? Haula+Tuch over Dumba+3rd pick he had to give up?

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I enjoyed reading about how he's a complete player along with his very high-skill set.  

A lot to like about the kid!

Plus I like that beast we drafted in the 2nd round with our Torts pick.  He plays well with a high skill guy in Suzuki - maybe he can keep people off of Elias one day.

Future WCE forming

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, B53 said:

Did anyone else's opinion of George McPhee change? I think he is an idiot and messed up his team so bad. So many dumb picks.

You waste your SJ pick cuz Montreal offered you a 5th for Schlemko? Why wouldnt you just take Dillon? You take Lindberg instead of Raanta, who goes for 7th overall. Engelland instead of Kulak cuz he lives in Vegas? Conner Brickley? Nosek over Ouellet or Sheahan? Haula+Tuch over Dumba+3rd pick he had to give up?

Doing better than Benjie

• Upvote 1

In case you are a little late to the party and just joining us.

Elite prospects pages for all players drafted by Vancouver.

1. Elias Pettersson - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=266336

2. Kole Lind - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=200933

3. Jonah Gadjovich - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=252476

4. Jack Rathbone - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=311766

5. Kristoffer Gunnarsson - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=212814

6. Petrus Palmu - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=112892

7. Matt Brassard - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=268659

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, B53 said:

Are you kidding?

Thats a character-stacked team of people who will survive playing in Vegas.

He's built a year one team of tough, big, captains and set the culture bar as high as one could have. 

This is like the old school Canucks teams of the past. Big and tough. Fun to watch even though they're not skilled because they entertain the crowd just the same. They have loaded up on assets for TDLs and will be set for draft picks for years. They should be fun to keep an eye on. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 2

I'm ok with Pettersson. I think Makar was the guy he really wanted. Would have been sweet to get him. Glass I honestly don't think is going to be more then a middle 6 NHL forward. When I watched him play for Canada and prospects game, I just dont see it. He looks like he will be a very useful NHL player, but not one that will play a prominent offensive role.

If Gradin feels he can play on the 1st ahead of Horvat, then i'm happy because as much as I wanted Makar, next year is the year to take a dman. There is honestly maybe 7 dmen who can become top pairing guys. Not exaggerating either

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, B53 said:

I'm ok with Pettersson. I think Makar was the guy he really wanted. Would have been sweet to get him. Glass I honestly don't think is going to be more then a middle 6 NHL forward. When I watched him play for Canada and prospects game, I just dont see it. He looks like he will be a very useful NHL player, but not one that will play a prominent offensive role.

If Gradin feels he can play on the 1st ahead of Horvat, then i'm happy because as much as I wanted Makar, next year is the year to take a dman. There is honestly maybe 7 dmen who can become top pairing guys. Not exaggerating either

Rasmus Dahlin 2018, @B53

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Are you kidding?

Thats a character-stacked team of people who will survive playing in Vegas.

He's built a year one team of tough, big, captains and set the culture bar as high as one could have. 

This is like Ike the old school Canucks teams of the past. Big and tough. Fun to watch even though they're not skilled because they entertain the crowd just the same. They have loaded up on assets for TDLs and will be set for draft picks for years. They should be fun to keep an eye on. 

Why not take excellent NHL players available that are under 25. How many guys can he possibly deal at the deadline. 5? Who can he get good value for at the deadline. Not Neal or Methot, because we all agree with those picks. This team should have been built for the future. Not a bunch of farm players and bottom pair guys in their 30's.

They did well with getting the 1st picks of course. But why take Engelland, Schlemko, Brickley, Nosek, etc.

1 minute ago, B53 said:

Why not take excellent NHL players available that are under 25. How many guys can he possibly deal at the deadline. 5? Who can he get good value for at the deadline. Not Neal or Methot, because we all agree with those picks. This team should have been built for the future. Not a bunch of farm players and bottom pair guys in their 30's.

They did well with getting the 1st picks of course. But why take Engelland, Schlemko, Brickley, Nosek, etc.

5 sounds great to me.

Is this your first expansion experience? 

Just now, diesel_3 said:

Rasmus Dahlin 2018, @B53

Yeah Rasmus Dahlin is the lottery ticket, but there are a bunch of good ones as well.

Evan Bouchard from London is as good as Juolevi and 2 years younger. 

Quinton Hughes is small but unreal offensive dman.

Ryan Merkley has 55 points in the OHL this year 

Jared McIsaac is Halifax's best dman already

Adam Boqvist i've never seen play, but apparently he's really good

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, B53 said:

Depends on what you thought of him before. 

For me he will be the guy that taded away Forsberg for Erat 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

That Tanev trade with Toronto looks decent right about now. Kapanen + Liljegren....

Especially if Liljegren was indeed the player Benning was talking about getting back into the first round for.  In hindsight it would look pretty good right now, alright.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, B53 said:

Yeah Rasmus Dahlin is the lottery ticket, but there are a bunch of good ones as well.

Evan Bouchard from London is as good as Juolevi and 2 years younger. 

Quinton Hughes is small but unreal offensive dman.

Ryan Merkley has 55 points in the OHL this year 

Jared McIsaac is Halifax's best dman already

Adam Boqvist i've never seen play, but apparently he's really good

Ya, next year is the year they can definitely help bolster the blue line.

I'm excited....hopefully the rebuild done right!