The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

6 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

5 sounds great to me.

Is this your first expansion experience? 

No it is not. I am not a teenager, and I know my hockey well. You know this expansion team cannot be compared to ones of previous years. The expansion process was not the same back then

Just now, Rex425 said:

Pretty good draft for us. I'm confused about the Gunnarson pick, but that's just one pick. Pettersson has so much upside.

Its Thomas Gradin. You can't doubt the guy

The only picks that didnt work out were Rodin, Rahimi, and Tommernes. But then Rodin becomes SHL MVP, Rahimi the meanest player in europe, and Tommernes the SHL's best dman.

We need to use him more often. I'm glad we finally turned to him after many many years away. Gillis was on board with William Nylander, but unfortunately Benning had other ideas

5 minutes ago, B53 said:

No it is not. I am not a teenager, and I know my hockey well. You know this expansion team cannot be compared to ones of previous years. The expansion process was not the same back then

Thanks Captain O. 

It's not worth my time to lecture you on the expansion roster cycle that follows the team's first few semi productive years, the ones which begin with empty prospect cupboards, etc. This roster is built to bring in fans now, but is also fluid enough and ripe with TDL-type desireable role players for other teams. It's a good start and far from bad when you look at their draft positions in 2018 and beyond. 

Their cupboards will will fill up so fast and be timed perfectly to build through the draft. This is why they picked who they did and this team won't go full Kassian on the strip. 

I'm surprised that the Canucks took Pettersson at #5, but not really. Had a strong feeling about it before the pick, even with Vilardi and Glass still on the table. Benning said he was picking BPA, so I guess that means he feels Pettersson is the 3rd best forward in the draft. High praise. Pettersson seems to have been their guy for a while, scouting him heavily. It does make me wonder how much influence the Sedins have on the future of this team though. The commentators were saying that he'll learn from the Sedins. Won't they be gone by then? Drafting Pettersson, and trading for Dahlen, we now see where they're going - trying to re-create a Sedins-like line loaded with skill and chemistry. I am really happy that Pettersson and Dahlen can continue developing together. When they're ready to play in the NHL, they should be impressive and exciting to watch. As for his weight, being only 165, the Canucks staff have no concerns about him filling out his 6'2" frame. All in all, I'm quite happy with the pick. Don't know enough about the other players we drafted, will have to do my homework.

Where does Pettersson go on the Top 10 Prospects list?

1. Boeser

2. Dahlen

3. Pettersson

4. Juolevi

5. Demko

Edited by NUCKER67

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

People in this thread were talking about it with the rumors of a toronto/vancouver trade the last few weeks for Tanev.

Benning is very high on Liljegren, heard he would take him over Heiskenen if he had to choose. Would be in line with what he said about wanting to get a good defenceman in return for any deal involving Tanev. Toronto probably wants a top 2/3 guy now, so makes sense especially since Hamonic is gone now.

4 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

The Canucks have nailed the draft so far, there really is no argument against it.

Addressing needs while taking BPA in specific positions. A lot of hard working players with some flash...Culture is hopefully changing by bringing in some of the tenacious new blood!

They must've been serious about revamping the scouting department. None of these picks today look like a Delorme.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, peaches5 said:

I would totally be onboard with Tanev going to Toronto for Liljegren +

Kapanen + 1st 

I wonder if that same proposal can be revisited now that that 1st turned into Liljegren. 

Or maybe at the deadline if the Leafs are in a playoff position and get desperate we can squeeze them for Liljegren + 1st?

I'm baffled as to know why Vilardi traded as low as he did... L.A. must be besides themselves on his availability ..

... is there some "dirt" on Vilardi or does he just look too much like Johnny Manziel to take a chance on ;)

IMG_0090.JPG

Edited by SilentSam
  • Upvote 2