The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] 2017 NHL Entry Draft

Rate this topic

On 6/23/2017 at 4:48 PM, apollo said:

Oh boy... So what though? No one was drafting him top 5. Benning sewered another pick.

If he wanted him, he should have traded down to 7th at the very least and got another asset. 

This is by far the worst asset manager in Canucks history.

Dp sorry 

Edited by apollo

On 6/23/2017 at 4:48 PM, apollo said:

Oh boy... So what though? No one was drafting him top 5. Benning sewered another pick.

If he wanted him, he should have traded down to 7th at the very least and got another asset. 

This is by far the worst asset manager in Canucks history.

I've %100 got a foot in my mouth and have been supporting Benning heavily since November. 

To be fair, I don't get paid 7 figures To make these decisions or scout full time lol! 

I trust Jim will make the right decisions this coming draft. 

Long live GM JB! 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

LOL 

Yup, guilty. I spent the rest of that day watching his stuff and was excited by the next day.  After that draft I stopped relying on TSN to tell me who the Canucks should take (always the safe good Canadian boy.)  Fast forward to now I have his jersey and I was lucky enough to meet him and have him sign it.  Full circle eh? :lol:

• Haha 1

On 3/27/2019 at 12:38 PM, canuck73_3 said:

LOL 

You know what would have been funny.

If one of those users you quoted changed their usernames to Pettersson or a nickname of his. The sheer irony it would have been :lol:

• Haha 1

• 9 months later...
On 3/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, SabreFan1 said:

Many have been doing a "mea culpa" about Pettersson all year.  There were experts that were stumped by the pick.  I think only 1 publication even had him going before the top 8-10 if memory serves.  He's even sprouted 3 or 4 inches since that day. 

JB earned every penny he's been paid in just that day alone.

There's nothing wrong with being wrong about something and acknowledging it later. People act like its a great shame having to eat crow on something, but nobody ever bats 1.000. What really bugs me are the revisionists who act like Pettersson was the "obvious" pick at 5 and Canucks scouting deserves no credit when his average ranking was 11th. It's weird listening to the same pundits asking how Pettersson "fell" to the Canucks at 5 when they were the same people claiming they "reached" at the draft (even though they did). Same with Boeser at 23rd, when he was projected outside the first round by some sources. 

• Cheers 1

Regardless, once they selected the skinniest C ever, I was certain he wouldn’t be a star out of camp. 

2017 draft was one I didn’t have a favourite, not even a bit. Would I have picked EP? Most likely, not. 

At that time I was still more concerned with why the Canucks were Drafting 5th with a payroll and comments from their executive which indicated this was an unintended result. 

I’m glad things didn’t go as planned a whole lot of times so we could draft 5th so many times and build a core. Glad to be wrong there. 

On 3/27/2019 at 2:28 PM, SabreFan1 said:

Many have been doing a "mea culpa" about Pettersson all year.  There were experts that were stumped by the pick.  I think only 1 publication even had him going before the top 8-10 if memory serves.  He's even sprouted 3 or 4 inches since that day. 

JB earned every penny he's been paid in just that day alone.

The Canucks finally got their Gilbert Perreault.