The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[discussion] the case for a Draisaitl offer sheet

JM_

The 1040 guys usually have a strong case of fecal encephalopathy but they might be on to something with an offer sheet for LD. 

Main arguments for:

1. A 1-2 combo of LD and Bo sets us up for 10 years at C.

2. We already have some great wingers in development to play with them - Boeser, Pettersson, Lind in particular and maybe others.

3. We have the cap space with the Sedins contract ending. 

Main arguments against:

1. Retailiation by the offended GM: so what? Seriously so what? Edmonton deserves it, they abused tanking to the point where the NHL had to create the lotto system, a system thats going to screw us hard and already has twice. If there was ever any balance to be had for all that abuse of tanking, an offer sheet is it. And if they do retaliate and we can't match, we get paid in picks, its not a total loss.

2. Lost picks. True, we'd lose 4 1st round picks.... ouch. But maybe thats fine, with LD and Bo as our 1-2 Cs, we probably won't be a lotto ticket team for all 4 rounds, and maybe none of them. We may also be able to recover at least 1 trading Tanev. 

An offer sheet for LD in the 11-12 mil range from us would be very hard to Edmonton to match, and if they did they will have close to 30 mil locked up in Lucic, LD and McPouty. 

Maybe I'm nuts but this seems like something worth actually considering. Thoughts? 

No if we wanted that type of player we should have just drafted Vilardi. 

Also it would put us into some cap troubles in a few short years.

And on top of that, our pick this year could be Dahlin who's a generational talent on the back end.  

Imagine picking LD only for the cost of Dahlin +.....No thanks.  . 

1 minute ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

This is a terrible idea. The only thing we'd accomplish is pissing off Edmonton. Chirelli has already said that they will match ANY offer sheet for Drisaitle. But you can bet he'd come back to offersheet Bo 

but who cares if we "piss off Edmonton"? they treated the league like sh!t for years. I doubt too many GMs would be upset by Edmonton getting some payback. 

6 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

No if we wanted that type of player we should have just drafted Vilardi. 

Also it would put us into some cap troubles in a few short years.

And on top of that, our pick this year could be Dahlin who's a generational talent on the back end.  

Imagine picking LD only for the cost of Dahlin +.....No thanks.  . 

thats putting a lot of stock in Vilardi to turn into LD.... and we'd be in less cap trouble than the 14 mil currently held by the Sedins. 

Dahlin is only a lotto chance for us, and with LD we may actually be a bubble playoff team. 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

As much as I would love sticking it to Edmonton for making the NHL changing the draft rules, losing 4 1st round picks is too steep a price to pay for an overpaid Draisaitl.

I guess I can see us being more like the LA model... a lot of people thought Kopitar was overpaid but isn't LD in that same mould? If Demko continues to develop like he has we'd be set up a lot like LA was, just younger when it comes together. 

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

but who cares if we "piss off Edmonton"? they treated the league like sh!t for years. I doubt too many GMs would be upset by Edmonton getting some payback. 

You forget about the part the  where oil can come back at us and offer Bo 7 million.... just high enough that Benning would probably match but screws our cap over

If we weren't going to finish in the cellar for the next 2-3 years but rather in pres trophy contention, yes, absolutely. A few 20th-30th overall picks ain't worth Draisaitl.

BUT - I fully expect next year to be lotto bait for us as well. So watching them win the lottery with our pick... no thanks. Just no. I'd rather draft our own.

Just now, Bur14Kes17 said:

You forget about the part th Ugh where they can one back at us and offer Bo 7 million.... just high enough that Benning would probably match but screws our cap over

we'd have to lock up Bo first, like today, and then put in the offer sheet right away. 

Just now, brownky said:

If we weren't going to finish in the cellar for the next 2-3 years but rather in pres trophy contention, yes, absolutely. A few 20th-30th overall picks ain't worth Draisaitl.

BUT - I fully expect next year to be lotto bait for us as well. So watching them win the lottery with our pick... no thanks. Just no. I'd rather draft our own.

thats just it, it makes sense to me if we're going to make the playoffs. So thats the big question, would we be a bubble playoff team with LD and Bo as our 1 and 2 C's?

It doesn't just piss off Edmonton dude.

LD's matched offer then becomes just another comparable for the players on 30 other teams...including your Canucks. So not only do you piss off the Oilers, you piss off every other GM in the league because all these offer sheets do in the long run is raise salaries for every team.

Just now, MJDDawg said:

It doesn't just piss off Edmonton dude.

LD's matched offer then becomes just another comparable for the players on 30 other teams...including your Canucks. So not only do you piss off the Oilers, you piss off every other GM in the league because all these offer sheets do in the long run is raise salaries for every team.

where's the evidence for that with Webers offer sheet? The league didn't blow up. 

7 minutes ago, Bur14Kes17 said:

You forget about the part the  where oil can come back at us and offer Bo 7 million.... just high enough that Benning would probably match but screws our cap over

Not if you lock up Bo first.    

14 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

LD still has to accept (sign) an offer sheet too.  He might not accept an offer from the Canucks.  

Just now, Alflives said:

LD still has to accept (sign) an offer sheet too.  He might not accept an offer from the Canucks.  

yup, but nothing risked nothing gained. 

I know its a crazy long shot, but the numbers work and I just don't think the risks associated with pissing off Chirelli mean anything tbh. He'd screw over Jim in a heartbeat, don't kid yourself. 

5 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

thats just it, it makes sense to me if we're going to make the playoffs. So thats the big question, would we be a bubble playoff team with LD and Bo as our 1 and 2 C's?

Honestly, I don't think so.

Our defence is 'acceptable', our goaltending could honestly go either way 'as of right now'. Markstrom may be lights out, or he may be Alex Auld. I dunno.

Draisaitl is talented as hell, but I just don't think the support is quite there yet. Bo's line should be good for 60 points each give or take this year, unless one of the defencemen really shines at breakout passes. Draisaitl on his own (or with Eriksson level players, so basically alone) would probably be good for about the same, and the Sedins will Sedin. 40-50.

That's not really even bubble team numbers just yet. In 2-3 years we'll be in that range I'm pretty confident, but I'm guessing this'll be another rocky year.

Or maybe Travis Green is some sort of savant and Markstrom becomes Martin Brodeur. In which case I'm completely wrong. But based on the 'current team', we should be in for an exciting to watch, if ultimately disappointing season points-wise. And I'm perfectly fine with that, because as long as it's exciting, it means the kids are trying. And they will improve.

I don't think Draisaitl  would really change the trajectory of that all on his own. 4 more wins on the season wouldn't have put us in contention.

1 minute ago, S'all Good Man said:

yup, but nothing risked nothing gained. 

I know its a crazy long shot, but the numbers work and I just don't think the risks associated with pissing off Chirelli mean anything tbh. He'd screw over Jim in a heartbeat, don't kid yourself. 

I like LD, but don't know if he's a true number one center.  He did play a lot of wing with McDavid.  

Archived