The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Re-Signing] Severson locked up for 6 more years

DoughtysCheck

1 minute ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Larsson is a stud D. Imagine Tanev with size and physicality. I'd say he's an easy #2 D in this league.  

I have never felt that Larsson makes good decisions with puck and he gives it away a lot.   Perhaps you have followed him more.   I just know when I watched him play against my Panthers and Canes he got exploited a lot.

4 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I have never felt that Larsson makes good decisions with puck and he gives it away a lot.   Perhaps you have followed him more.   I just know when I watched him play against my Panthers and Canes he got exploited a lot.

He's grown a lot in the last two years.  He was easily oilers best D this year.  He is the guy they relied on the most and he lived up to it, especially in playoffs.  He's a great shut down guy and has really turned up the physical side of the game.  Like Edler used to.  Him and Klefbom make a really good pairing, Two strong #2 D.  And then you have to consider they are both only 24 years old and only going to get better. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Larsson is a stud D. Imagine Tanev with size and physicality. I'd say he's an easy #2 D in this league.  

Indeed.

I'd probably rate Tanev around a 2B/3A D and Larsson is bigger, more physical and younger, with room to improve given that age. That puts him in solid #2 territory for me.

On 2017-09-11 at 0:44 PM, Warhippy said:

Watching us skip yet another great Rocket D man hurt.  One of my biggest gripes against the organization is seeing them continually ignore players from the Rockets system, especially defesemen.

Severson was and is a stud.  I loved watching him play for the rockets organization.  Jersey got an absolute win with this deal.  He might never win a Norris because he doesn't produce that kind of point production.  But he will absolutely be the kind of defenseman you can see putting a team on his back and winning with

Went and saw the Rockets play 2 games in Vic Severson was the most impressive player on either team in both games by a long shot was disappointed we passed on him too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 1:16 PM, J.R. said:

Indeed.

I'd probably rate Tanev around a 2B/3A D and Larsson is bigger, more physical and younger, with room to improve given that age. That puts him in solid #2 territory for me.

I'd say you'd rank Tanev pretty low. 

Tanev is your stereo typical #2 Dman. Pair him with a Karlsson, Josi, Subban, etc... and you have an amazing pairing. Tanev is arguably the 2nd best Defensive Dman in the league.

1. Vlasic
2. Tanev
3. Hjarlmasson

23 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

I'd say you'd rank Tanev pretty low. 

Tanev is your stereo typical #2 Dman. Pair him with a Karlsson, Josi, Subban, etc... and you have an amazing pairing. Tanev is arguably the 2nd best Defensive Dman in the league.

1. Vlasic
2. Tanev
3. Hjarlmasson

:wub: Tanev but things like '2nd best defensive D' always make me giggle a bit. Like bragging you're dating the 2nd hottest girl - with a nervous tick - in high school :lol:

Anyway... Tanev's a decent # 2 D. A middling #2 in the league vs other #2 D's. He's a VERY good hockey player but he lacks either the physicality or the offense to be considered a '2A' IMO.

If he had all three or was elite in either, he'd be #1. As he's is, he's a decent #2 on a first pair or an elite #3 on a 2nd. Hence 2B/3A...YMMV

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

:wub: Tanev but things like '2nd best defensive D' always make me giggle a bit. Like bragging you're dating the 2nd hottest girl - with a nervous tick - in high school :lol:

Anyway... Tanev's a decent # 2 D. A middling #2 in the league vs other #2 D's. He's a VERY good hockey player but he lacks either the physicality or the offense to be considered a '2A' IMO.

If he had all three or was elite in either, he'd be #1. As he's is, he's a decent #2 on a first pair or an elite #3 on a 2nd. Hence 2B/3A...YMMV

I may be a bit of a homer, but I've seen in on HFboards as well. I Tanev top 15 D in the league. He's not valued in Van as much as he should be, and any team would value him.

Just now, 5Fivehole0 said:

I may be a bit of a homer, but I've seen in on HFboards as well. I Tanev top 15 D in the league. He's not valued in Van as much as he should be, and any team would value him.

Any team would value him. That doesn't make him a top 15 D in the league.

Archived