The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whitehouse Visit

Sbriggs

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

When he first started his trash talking I though, wow, this guy is an anti-politician! Awesome!

Now he is too anti-PC for his role, but maybe that's a good thing. After 911, does anyone really trust the politics of the UN? 

Why dont these chumps take a knee for Palestine? How about the cockroaches of Ruanda? The dead cops? It's just sad to see how easily divided people are. When I used to separate cattle in the Chilcotin bush, I recall they put up more of an effort to avoid the divide and conquer tactics of the Shepard. Know your enemy.  

They're not dividing people, you are. They want to be treated by the government and its institutions the same as you. And right now, black people and other people of color are not treated the same. That's a fact. 

1 minute ago, tkanuk said:

Blacks were brought America as slaves by white people. Do you not believe there are still remnants  and effects from that time today?

how about residential schools for First Nations? Do you think remnants still exist 50 years later? Or even from BC, the potlatch law. Look it up. Is it possible that those historical actions could be felt today. 

How about out women not being able to vote? Or not able to do certain jobs? Or lead large organizations? Did those things just disappear in the past?

everything around you was built by white men for white men. Everyone else was actively and purposefully kept out. 

I think that's enough examples for now. Respond with facts please. 

Japan and Saudi Arabia were built by those folk for their folks. 

Take a knee.

Afirmative Action is a racist policy on the books as of today. Go fight that. 

You should get on both knees and thank the horrible white culture and heritage that has produced the greatest places on the planet. That or go stick up for women in Saudi Arabia or protest the majority race in any country. 

Any Ben Shapiro video should do for "facts". Try Dr Richard Johnson from Toledo University to reconcile your emotions on BLM with facts

7 minutes ago, tkanuk said:

They're not dividing people, you are. They want to be treated by the government and its institutions the same as you. And right now, black people and other people of color are not treated the same. That's a fact. 

How in the hell am I dividing anything?

Treated the same? What does that mean? Treated the same how? Like for driving tests? Guitar hero? Your facts are emotions. 

I'm pushing on an open door here. I will show my self out. This is just saddening. 

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Japan and Saudi Arabia were built by those folk for their folks. 

Take a knee.

Afirmative Action is a racist policy on the books as of today. Go fight that. 

You should get on both knees and thank the horrible white culture and heritage that has produced the greatest places on the planet. That or go stick up for women in Saudi Arabia or protest the majority race in any country. 

Any Ben Shapiro video should do for "facts". Try Dr Richard Johnson from Toledo University to reconcile your emotions on BLM with facts

Not sure why you're mentioning Japan and SA? We're not talking about that. 

Also, "white culture" has produced the greatest places on earth? You're starting to sound a little supremacist-y. 

Ive provided a plethora of facts. You've responded with emotions. Go back and read the posts. You've answered none of my questions.

24 minutes ago, tkanuk said:

Did you read my examples? Are you saying they're not racist? 

If someone is equal in judgement of all cultures, does that make them racist, or exactly the opposite?  I see you picking a couple examples, which excludes the full context.  Trump challenges EVERYONE, regardless of their cultural heritage.  If anything, that makes him the opposite of a racist, don't you think?

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

How in the hell am I dividing anything?

Treated the same? What does that mean? Treated the same how? Like for driving tests? Guitar hero? Your facts are emotions. 

I'm pushing on an open door here. I will show my self out. This is just saddening. 

Maybe I have to speak simpler?Have I really been unclear? Black people are incarcerated at far greater rates than whites. They're given harsher prison sentences. Unarmed black men are shot at a higher rate than white men. There are a million other stats I could quote but my thumbs sore. 

I dont one know why you keep saying I'm emotional. I'm arguing with facts. You're talking about guitar hero. Care to respond w facts?

1 minute ago, tkanuk said:

Maybe I have to speak simpler?Have I really been unclear? Black people are incarcerated at far greater rates than whites. They're given harsher prison sentences. Unarmed black men are shot at a higher rate than white men. There are a million other stats I could quote but my thumbs sore. 

I dont one know why you keep saying I'm emotional. I'm arguing with facts. You're talking about guitar hero. Care to respond w facts?

And even if your statements are correct, what does that have to do with the Pens choosing to go to the White House?  Weren't those statistics you suggested the same last year, when Barrak Obama was President?  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If someone is equal in judgement of all cultures, does that make them racist, or exactly the opposite?  I see you picking a couple examples, which excludes the full context.  Trump challenges EVERYONE, regardless of their cultural heritage.  If anything, that makes him the opposite of a racist, don't you think?

He doesn't "challenge" everyone. When that Nazi murdered a peaceful protester with his car, Trump said there were good people on both sides. One side was people fighting against racism. The other side was ACTUAL NAZIS. How is that equal in his judgment?

his travel ban was only for Muslim countries (though not Saudi). How is that equal?

and calling all Mexicans rapists is diff than calling one person a loser yeah? 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

And even if your statements are correct, what does that have to do with the Pens choosing to go to the White House?  Weren't those statistics you suggested the same last year, when Barrak Obama was President?  

Those facts are correct. 

But it on the Obama point, you're right. But for Kaepernick this was never about the president. This was about bringing attn to injustice against black people, peacefully. 

Trump made it about trump when he called him "a son of a bitch" and he picked a side. A very racist side. 

14 minutes ago, tkanuk said:

Those facts are correct. 

But it on the Obama point, you're right. But for Kaepernick this was never about the president. This was about bringing attn to injustice against black people, peacefully. 

Trump made it about trump when he called him "a son of a bitch" and he picked a side. A very racist side. 

You're entitled to your views, of course.  Thank you for the conversation.  I can see you feel very strongly about this topic.  One part of your posts I do find disturbing is your experience, on several occasions, with racism here in Vancouver, especially with our police.   (I assume you live here).  This kind of treatment should happen to no one.  

1 hour ago, skolozsy2 said:

I'm only commenting on the part about the Penguins because I think your opinion is tad unfair.  None of the Penguins said they're neutral on racial issues, they said they were neutral on the fued between Trump and the NFL players.  And I can guarantee if any of them were asked directly about racism, they would ALL say they condemn it.

Just because you find accepting a trip to the White House somehow synonymous with condoning racism, that doesn't make it so.

First, I think you missed the 2nd numbered point I written.  It's not the visit to the WH itself that's the problem--no one ever had a problem with it before, whether it was Obama, Clinton, the Bushes, or Reagan.  Why not?  Because none of those presidents politicized it.

45 is not the usual type of president--he's a racial demagogue with a loose cannon for a mouth.  The Pens, whether by design or by sheer naïvete, are opening themselves up to letting themselves be used for political purposes.

Don't you think that this WH visit has potential for absolute disaster?  What if the Pens are all standing there and 45 suddenly decides to run off at the mouth and say something offensive and/or inappropriate?  What if 45 decides to use the opportunity to slag whatever it is that annoys him on that particular day?

I have no doubt you're correct that if asked directly about racism, the Pens would say to a man that they're against it.  But they are visiting a WH where the sitting POTUS is NOT unequivocally against racism.  That is why, in this particular instance, visiting the WH is the wrong thing to do

11 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You're entitled to your views, of course.  Thank you for the conversation.  I can see you feel very strongly about this topic.  One part of your posts I do find disturbing is your experience, on several occasions, with racism here in Vancouver, especially with our police.   (I assume you live here).  This kind of treatment should happen to no one.  

I live in Toronto now, but I'm from east van. 

My posts were less about my personal experiences. But though I've witnessed some horrible things in EV, I don't doubt that it may be much worse for poc in parts of the states. 

5 minutes ago, The Bookie said:

On the bright side, now I have a proper reason to dislike Crosby.

Hey Sid, remember when you told me hockey made Canada? Well Trump just made you. His biatch.

So what exactly did Tim Thomas make Obama, when he refused the White House invitation?  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Are you living in .Canada?

Yes, I live in Canada.  Born and raised in Canada, lived in Canada for the overwhelming majority of my life and have qualified as a resident in several Canadian cities.  But that's irrelevant, unless you're naïve enough to think that racism doesn't exist in this country.

The thing is, there's no such thing as living in a racist country vs a non-racist country--neither of those absolutes exist.  In the US, there are many whites who passionate about supporting minorities in their fight for equality and understand the complex issues involved; but at the same time, there are lots of whites who are passionately believe in white supremacy.  In Canada, the degrees are somewhat muted, but still, both extremes DO exist here too.

Generally speaking, cities are less racist than rural areas, but that doesn't mean every white living in rural areas are racist.  But at the same time, I would NOT want to live in a rural part of Canada because the number of (what I call) 'soft racists' are higher there.  One reason why I came back to the Lower Mainland is because I know that there is less racism here; before that, I lived in a part of the Toronto area that was more racist, including in some of the places where I've worked.

3 minutes ago, Undrafted said:

Yes, I live in Canada.  Born and raised in Canada, lived in Canada for the overwhelming majority of my life and have qualified as a resident in several Canadian cities.  But that's irrelevant, unless you're naïve enough to think that racism doesn't exist in this country.

The thing is, there's no such thing as living in a racist country vs a non-racist country--neither of those absolutes exist.  In the US, there are many whites who passionate about supporting minorities in their fight for equality and understand the complex issues involved; but at the same time, there are lots of whites who are passionately believe in white supremacy.  In Canada, the degrees are somewhat muted, but still, both extremes DO exist here too.

Generally speaking, cities are less racist than rural areas, but that doesn't mean every white living in rural areas are racist.  But at the same time, I would NOT want to live in a rural part of Canada because the number of (what I call) 'soft racists' are higher there.  One reason why I came back to the Lower Mainland is because I know that there is less racism here; before that, I lived in a part of the Toronto area that was more racist, including in some of the places where I've worked.

Interesting.  Thank you.

15 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Just show me where Trump is a racist and I will concede your point. 

I didnt say Trump was a racist. I dont know if he is or not as it would be hard to prove either way. 

I was taking a shot at predicting the response to tkanuk's comment that I replied to and it pretty much played out exactly as I thought it would...

18 hours ago, Undrafted said:

For you to say that racism is “rare” these days IS a sign of your white privilege.  The reason why YOU don’t think racism is a real thing is because you ARE white and it doesn’t happen to YOU or anyone around you.  I find your statement about “hard-working black people” completely disingenuous because I don’t believe for a second you actually know a black person personally because if you did, they’d tell you otherwise.

And that’s the problem with the Crosby and the Pens.  They desperately want to be politically “neutral”, but:

1) being “neutral” on racial issues is already a form of white privilege—like you, it doesn’t affect them or anyone they know personally, and

2) the current political climate generated by 45 means there is no “safe middle ground” for the Crosby, the Pens and the NHL to hide in.  Again, if you don’t condemn what’s going on, you’re condoning it

---

Like I said, I’m NOT white.  Racism is worse now than it has been for decades, it’s as bad as it was during the mid-80s, maybe worse.  I don’t have to watch CNN or whatever to know that—I live with it everyday.  I HAVE been arrested as a young man just for being the wrong colour and not just once or twice.  I have constantly had my opinions dismissed because of my colour, even when it comes to something as mundane as hockey—I can’t count the number of times some white guy said to me, “WTF do YOUR people know about hockey???  Shut the hell up!”

And if you don't think 45 has been inciting and encouraging racism: well, you're hiding your head in the sand and ignoring the obvious.  That or you have a five-second attention span and have already forgotten Charlottesville, Arpaio and numerous other things.

First of all I am sorry for what you have had to deal with when it comes to racism, people just don't understand because they haven't experienced it  or feel it doesn't exist and any idiot can see and hear that Trump is  racist, sexist and a scumbag and if they can't then their too far gone to fix or should pack up and move to southern US where they belong. Crosby and the Pens will fall on the wrong side of  history if they go to the Whitehouse and I will loose respect for Crosby and any other Canadians on that team and I don't want that..

Archived