The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Rebuild Kicked Off With Acquiring Bo, & Was Completed at 2019 Draft!

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

5 minutes ago, Isam said:

Lafreniere is a sixteen year old who plays for rimouski and has put up 58 points in 45 games. He has been compared as a cross between crosby and lecavailer.

That sounds amazing.  What year is he set for? next? or 2020?

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

93% now in the title!

But what if it's a progress bar where most of the work has to be done in the end? :o

93% is quite ambitious. We’re most likely 3-5 years off of being a playoff team and 7–12 of being a 3rd rd+Team. 

I mean lots of these kids everyone is penning into the lineup have yet to see a nhl game.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

93% is quite ambitious. We’re most likely 3-5 years off of being a playoff team and 7–12 of being a 3rd rd+Team. 

I mean lots of these kids everyone is penning into the lineup have yet to see a nhl game.

I think that was addressed(near end) of the original post. Don't lose heart, gents!

6 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

That always happens really. I remember a few years ago when everyone had Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin, and Jensen all penned in.

Mind you, things do look more promising now than back then. (although Shroeder was 5th in points in the NCAA at one point interestingly enough but none of the people ahead of him are in the NHL anymore either if ever)

Edited by The Lock

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

That always happens really. I remember a few years ago when everyone had Hodgson, Schroeder, Rodin, and Jensen all penned in.

Mind you, things do look more promising now than back then. (although Shroeder was 5th in points in the NCAA at one point interestingly enough but none of the people ahead of him are in the NHL anymore either)

Lol do you remember when people had Prab Rai, Shirokov, Yann Sauve and Evan Oberg in every future line up? :lol: 

I think we won’t know what we have till players are 21-24 but I know the good ones (Boeser, Horvat, etc) are usually in the nhl by the age of 20. The elite players don’t develop outside of the nhl.

Edit; yea the Rodin belief was hilarious. He hadn’t made the nhl at 25 and everyone thought he was gonna be an elite player still!!! :lol: 

Edited by Standing_Tall#37

1 minute ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Lol do you remember when people had Prab Rai, Shirokov, Yann Sauve and Evan Oberg in every future line up? :lol: 

I think we won’t know what we have till players are 21-24 but I know the good ones (Boeser, Horvat, etc) are usually in the nhl by the age of 20. The elite players don’t develop outside of the nhl.

Edit; yea the Rodin belief was hilarious. He hadn’t made the nhl at 25 and everyone thought he was gonna be an elite player still!!! :lol: 

Oh yes. I definately remember that. I even remember seeing players like Andersson and Ellington being pegged as a solid defender for us as 5th round and 2nd round picks respectively, both with a very long shot of even seeing a game. lol

Wouldn't be surprised if some people had Gendur pegged in even. Yay Dan Genduuuuur!

47 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Can Buffalo keep heatin' up & pass us?!

They've been rolling, despite Kane stone-cold. Btw..is he tankin' too, so no one trades for him, & he comes home in July???(enquiring minds wanna' know!)

We're turning this stealth tank thang up to 11!

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Oh yes. I definately remember that. I even remember seeing players like Andersson and Ellington being pegged as a solid defender for us as 5th round and 2nd round picks respectively, both with a very long shot of even seeing a game. lol

Wouldn't be surprised if some people had Gendur pegged in even. Yay Dan Genduuuuur!

Lol yea  I think optimism definitely out weighs reality around here. I like the positivity but the more things change the more they seem to stay the same. The nhl game, skill  and speed is much different than the leagues that our prospects dominate. Sometimes that success just doesn’t translate to the best league in the world. 

There are a few wildcards that can come into play that may speed up the process. 

If Virtanen can somehow "click" and be that speedy powerforward he was drafted for, chipping in like 40+ points, suddenly the Canucks top-6 looks pretty decent. 

If Pettersson pops into the lineup and maybe get the "CoHo" treatment, sheltered ice time, perhaps paired with strong 2-way players like Eriksson or wily veteran sniper.... a 3rd line of Vanek-Pettersson-Eriksson seems safe and dependable.  

Should Juolevi be as good as he is supposed to be, be as dependable like a young Ohlund or Salo, that would cement the defense core.

If Nikita Tryamkin decides he wishes to return to the Canucks.... the sky is his limit.  At best he can be the next Chara, at worst a Marek Malik, a huge top-4 2-way defenseman.  

Add those pieces to the Canucks roster and current young players like Horvat, Boeser, Baertschi can build on what they have now.... they will be a competitive team.  Unlikely to be considered as contenders, short of Horvat becoming the next Mike Richards/Jonathan Toews, Brock Boeser the next Petr Bondra/Markus Naslund, and Baertschi suddenly becoming like Marian Hossa/Gaborik.... but throw in a few good FA and who knows.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Lol yea  I think optimism definitely out weighs reality around here. I like the positivity but the more things change the more they seem to stay the same. The nhl game, skill  and speed is much different than the leagues that our prospects dominate. Sometimes that success just doesn’t translate to the best league in the world. 

It kind of happens both ways really. You get extreme optimism from some people and then you get extreme negativity from others and they both accuse the other of doing the same thing! #needmoarpopcorn

I try to be in the middle personally although I tend to lead towards optimism just because I find some of the extreme negativity might as well fall in line of saying "the world is flat and the sky is falling." Like... wha?....

But I do appreciate the optimism around here at times. :)

Edited by The Lock