The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does anyone have experience with using CBD with dogs?

JM_

So my lab is starting to get some serious hip pain. Its heartbreaking and we want to do something but we're concerned about many of the anti-inflammatory drugs out there, many are apparently quite toxic and can be lethal.

I've heard about cannabis-based CBD products for dogs but know nothing about it. I'd like know if anyone has tried this and if you know about some reliable information (actual studies .e.g.). 

Plus look at this face, how can you not do something?

pup.jpg

I've seen it be used for seizures for one dog. The thing about CBD and other cannabis extracts is the effects can vary widely between two subjects, at least in humans. What might be the miracle pain cure for one person might do nothing to another.

It's a new concept among animals to treat them with CBD. There aren't any known side effects of taking medicinal CBD unless the patient has a specific allergy to cannabinoids.

I had good results with glucosamine for dogs. High glucosamine food and there supplements too.

The later years of my lab Shepard life were greatly improved. 

i can't say how a  canibus rub would work on dogs (wasn't available at that time) but I use it on my knees  all the time and for me it's fantastic. 

The allgeries might be one concern with canibus rubs.

My retriever/collie gets arthritis in her shoulders during the wet season and I have found Recovery SA does a good job.  You have to use it for awhile before it takes affect and then back of the dose once it start working.  I do notice that she becomes more active and eats more when she's on it. 

It's a glucosamine based product, with other ingredients that are 'all natural'.  The problem with anti inflams is that they are tough on the dogs stomach and intestines.  It's made on the Island (Duncan), but can be bought at most pet food stores. I think you can buy it online in the States as well.

Believe it or not, I've heard of several situations where acupuncture did the trick.

It's a bit expensive, but the 350mg jar seems to last a long time.

Good luck finding something that works.  It's awful watching man's best friend suffering.

i have seen a cdb product for cats , i'm sure there are for dogs as well.

id do some research but i'm sure you'll find something.

im sure he gets nice and medicated i see lots of dogs smart and come around when its being lit up

im sure they get some positives or they wouldn't keep coming around

43 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Wouldn't a natural steroid-based anti-inflammatory be fine for him?  Check with a vet and then buy the pills in bulk from a reputable dispensary because vets overcharge for their meds.

no she's had two surgeries with anti-inflam's prescribed after and had very bad reactions both times (couldn't stop vomiting) so that's why we're looking at some alternatives.

24 minutes ago, combover said:

I had good results with glucosamine for dogs. High glucosamine food and there supplements too.

The later years of my lab Shepard life were greatly improved. 

i can't say how a  canibus rub would work on dogs (wasn't available at that time) but I use it on my knees  all the time and for me it's fantastic. 

The allgeries might be one concern with canibus rubs.

thanks, I was wondering about that too. She's not that old yet only 11 so we need something thats going to be workable for a long time yet. 

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

no she's had two surgeries with anti-inflam's prescribed after and had very bad reactions both times (couldn't stop vomiting) so that's why we're looking at some alternatives.

Both steroidal and non-steroidal?

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

thanks, I was wondering about that too. She's not that old yet only 11 so we need something thats going to be workable for a long time yet. 

My shepard was about 11 when his hips started to slow him down, I can't remember the name of the food but it was high in glucosamine and it really helped him with mobility and it helped pretty fast too, 

Our son has an older German Shepard, she's worked hard her whole life and suffers from sore stiff Arthritic joints

CBD Coconut oil has worked amazing and no narcotic effect. Squirted right in her mouth from a plastic syringe

Diet and weight loss also played a big roll to help this old dog

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So my lab is starting to get some serious hip pain. Its heartbreaking and we want to do something but we're concerned about many of the anti-inflammatory drugs out there, many are apparently quite toxic and can be lethal.

I've heard about cannabis-based CBD products for dogs but know nothing about it. I'd like know if anyone has tried this and if you know about some reliable information (actual studies .e.g.). 

pup.jpg

Bully Bits Wild Salmon 
CBD Dog Treats 150 mg CBD

https://thegreenrhino.ca/order_online

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

pup.jpg

What a cutie.

I have experience.  I have no links that you haven't likely already read from internet searches, but I spoke to a dispensary and and my vet who wouldn't endorse it, but did believe it was a valid treatment option.  When it came down to actually trying it, I had to fluctuate the dose to get the right amount.  All in all it had a great effect on pain and the anxiety that my dog was getting from it.  We used it for the last 6 or months of my pups life and stopped using any other pain med or anti-inflammatory.

For reference,

I purchased the oil from a dispensary, they were very helpful.  You have to make the calculation to get dosage based on the ratio of CBD to carrier oil by dividing the milligrams of CDB to milliliters of carrier liquid.

Then you have to find the dosage you are comfortable with, I ended at .15mg of CBD per pound twice a day for an 11 pound dog.  It went up slightly over time if I felt he was having a bad day.

It helped with his anxiety tons as well.  He had been going blind over time and I saw it gave him anxiety, he would bark at pretty much any outside noises.  After the CDB he was way more chill.

Hope this helps.

IMG_0714.JPG

Archived