The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

They aren't that good anymore. No one is "turning on" Hutton, he hasn't been very good. Fact. 

Anyone turning on Bo is an idiot. 

Bo has proven to be the heir apparent. Bennig just needs to actually get him worthy linemates. Boeser is great, Baertschi is not. Time for Sven to go to his next NHL project team. 

Green doesn't seem to agree with you re his post-game.

He coaches in the moment and it's pretty easy to see who he thinks is playing like he wants them to and who isn't.  He adjust his lines and ice time accordingly.  

Hutton played closed to 21min - 2nd among the Ds.

16 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

I would give Markstrom a month to sort out his game and prevent bad goals, too many softies for my taste.  Also, I love Boeser's goal, and his willingness to take a few shots and some shots were sick, one to the head of Smith, and one where Smith had to make his best save of the night.  Wished that he would be able to roof if the tape to tape pass is spot on but he had to receive the pass on the skate then shoot and it's a good one.  He has a great release and it's shame that Green or Brown figure things out how to use him on PP yet.  He can pass, and make smart plays despite his weakness, skating.  He is noticeable than rest of the team.

Sedin, I hate to criticize their play but it's painfully obviously that they are here just to collect checks until they retire.  They were too slow to make things happen.

Hutton needs a shot of confidence and he doesn't have any right now.   I wish his play were made to happen like his preseason play two years ago but I am guessing that Willie D destroyed his confidence.    Maybe a time down in Utica to restore his confidence.  I am liking Pouliot's game and should help this team more on an offensive role especially on PP.  Not sure if Hutton is waiver eligible yet.  

I'm hoping that Boeser would be able to get a better playmaker so I'm thinking, Virtenan, Granlund, Boeser will do it or Vanek, Horvat, Boeser to get things going.  This are two option I've been wanting to see for a while.  I've noticed Granlund's play in a positive ways and pretty good considering how hot garbage this team was tonight.  I'd like to see him promoted.  Horvat is getting greedy with his rushes, trying too much and not using his lines to be an effective player.  Hopefully that he will figure things out for better.   It's possible that Horvat is getting frustrated with Baertschi inability to generate offense.   

Markstrom moving to his left between his glove hand and his body pucks find a way in, is it because he has a weak glove hand or he finds that movement weaker than going in the other direction?

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I'll play the contrarian tonight I guess.

Just 4 games but tonight was the worst game by far - Edler and Loui's loss was definitely felt.  How is the team not worse without them?  Because you don't like the style they play?  They're career B+ players who still bring above-average play.

Then you just write off poor play from younger players (who have top ice time this year - and ended last year with it)...with what I assume is an underhanded dig at leadership?  

If the Sedins are as passive as you say you'd think the youth could emerge from their shadow pretty easily wouldn't you think?  

Its just one big false narrative.

Edler and Eriksson are two of the Canucks highest paid players and their production has not been anywhere near "B+"

If you want to give out letter grades, I would give Edler a C- and Eriksson a D.

Edler .....minus 20 last season, all for the low price of 5 million dollars. I guess it could be worse, I seem to recall a previous season where it was closer to minus 40, so hey maybe he's improving...

Eriksson, what can I say, if he was making 2 million, sure "B+"...but he's not. His production is crap for his salary and the ice time he gets. Sorry.

Poor play from younger players is just that, poor play from younger players. They aren't producing, and they don't look anywhere near good enough to 'take over' from the Sedins...unless you want a team that scores less than two goals a game all season long.

Which leads me to the Sedins...they are still arguably the best forwards on the team, but that says more about the rest of the team than it does the Sedins. Somehow the talent in Horvat and Boeser is giving Canucks fans glimpses of the future, but with all due respect, there isn't enough collective talent up front to dislodge the dangling assturds that are Daniel and Henrik. You can blame management, or coaching or ownership, or whoever, but this is the reality. 

Oh, and I forgot about goaltending. It's average. The fact that this team 'anointed' Jacob Markstrom as the starter despite the fact that Anders Nilsson has a similar body of work in the NHL is stupid to me, why don't they just let them compete for the job, maybe give them an individual reason to play hard, because this team isn't going anywhere this season.

30 minutes ago, khay said:

I think at this point, Green probably realizes that he doesn't have many horses to compete against the rest of the NHL. The sad thing is that he doesn't even have enough defensive players to play a shutdown game. So, if I were Green, I would focus my efforts this season to establishing chemistry and lines that I can use into the next seasons. 

First, play the youth. There are 4 players on this team that are under 25 and are top 6 caliber: Horvat, Granlund, Baertschi, Boeser. And Virtanen is on the borderline. He is not a top 6 yet, but he could be and that's the decision that Green has to make, whether or not to groom Virtanen into a top 6 player or as a bottom 6 player.  I would personally try to groom Virtanen as a top 6 player and if that is the decision that is made, then the next decision is either to play him like a top 6 here or in the AHL. Among the older players (not counting the Sedins), only Eriksson is being paid as a top 6 player and he is here for the next 5 years. So if I were Green, I would do my best to form lines out of these 5 + Virtanen (depending on what he decided to do with Virtanen).

It goes without saying that the two centre pieces on this team are Horvat and Boeser. I think we need to build two lines around them. Before, I thought Horvat-Boeser would be a good idea but it became clear to me that they wouldn't work so well. The reason is because Boeser is good at finding a shooting position, and yet, Horvat will drive the net 9/10 times he has the puck on his stick. Horvat needs a player who can finish around the net, the "garbage collector", or a player that can drive the net with him so that Horvat can finish the garbage around the net. On the contrary, Boeser needs players that can make plays and get the puck to him when he is in a shooting position for a snipe.

Horvat:

Horvat is an offensively minded player but he is a north-south player without good ability to play the cycle game or the half court offence. The best way to make use of him is to surround him with another north-south player and a player that knows how to finish around the net. Now, Virtanen is yet another north-south player and Eriksson is a player who has shown in the past that he knows how to finish around the net.

2A: Virtanen-Horvat-Eriksson.

Boeser:

Among the young players, only Baertschi and Gralund can be qualified as playmakers. I would pair them together, and put Boeser, player that knows how to snipe in the slot, a player who can benefit from playmaking of Baertschi and Granlund on their wing. 

2B: Baertschi-Granlund-Boeser.

Of course, we don't have a first line so I labelled these two lines as 2A and 2B. Neither of these lines measure up well against the other team's best lines so they will get scored on quite a lot, but that's not the point. The point is to allow them to grow into their roles by playing them in the roles that you want them to be in. 

The rest:

The remaining players are Daniel, Henrik, Vanek, Gagner, Burmistrov, Sutter, and Dorsett. The best way to make use of these players is as providing some sort of shelter or buffer for the 2A and 2B lines. It is clear that Sedins can still hold their own. It is also clear that Sutter and Dorsett can be useful for match up purposes. That leaves Vanek, Gagner, Burmistrov. Personally, I think Burmistrov is an intelligent player and can be useful in a checking role alongside Sutter and Dorsett. And that means I would play only one of Vanek or Gagner at a time.

3A: Sedin-Sedin-Vanek/Gagner

3B: Burmistrov-Sutter-Dorsett

Now, if the decision is to groom Virtanen in a top 6 role in the AHL, then Gagner would slot in beside Horvat-Eriksson. 

The focus has to be on the future. This team does not have what it takes on defence for one, to compete for the playoffs, let alone up front. I was very wrong in my initial assessment based on preseason play.

Is it just me, or this post making more sense than the game I just saw? 

I couldn't agree more.  Play the younger guys and build for the future. Pairings on the forward lines that work are the key more and more. Figuring out what these players' roles can be is critical for the team, because it is critical for the players.  Giving the majority of the pp time to Gagner, Vanek and the Sedins is criminal. 

Virtanen and Horvat had some chemistry a while back. Your idea about Baer, Granlund and Boeser is interesting too.  Pettersson when he gets here will be in that style as well.

I think your intuition is dead on re: forwards.  Clearly it is the forwards that are the failing of this team.    When Tanev has more goals than 2/3rds of the forwards... man, your team is in trouble. 

3 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

Edler and Eriksson are two of the Canucks highest paid players and their production has not been anywhere near "B+"

If you want to give out letter grades, I would give Edler a C- and Eriksson a D.

Edler .....minus 20 last season, all for the low price of 5 million dollars. I guess it could be worse, I seem to recall a previous season where it was closer to minus 40, so hey maybe he's improving...

Eriksson, what can I say, if he was making 2 million, sure "B+"...but he's not. His production is crap for his salary and the ice time he gets. Sorry.

Poor play from younger players is just that, poor play from younger players. They aren't producing, and they don't look anywhere near good enough to 'take over' from the Sedins...unless you want a team that scores less than two goals a game all season long.

Which leads me to the Sedins...they are still arguably the best forwards on the team, but that says more about the rest of the team than it does the Sedins. Somehow the talent in Horvat and Boeser is giving Canucks fans glimpses of the future, but with all due respect, there isn't enough collective talent up front to dislodge the dangling assturds that are Daniel and Henrik. You can blame management, or coaching or ownership, or whoever, but this is the reality. 

Oh, and I forgot about goaltending. It's average. The fact that this team 'anointed' Jacob Markstrom as the starter despite the fact that Anders Nilsson has a similar body of work in the NHL is stupid to me, why don't they just let them compete for the job, maybe give them an individual reason to play hard, because this team isn't going anywhere this season.

All true and nothing that has not been predicted all summer.

4 minutes ago, Mustapha said:

To clarify: "career B+" is talking about overall careers of those two.  V good but not elite.  I'd consider Loui a C+ / B- and Edler a B- / B for their short time this year (contracts non-withstanding - that's a Benning discussion.) 

As for the rest I don't disagree other than calling the two of the classiest guys to wear the uniform "dangling assturds."  

I forgot how "Chicken Little" the bulk of the PGT threads are (especially when we lose). Also glad we have the depth this year so that when the injuries come (which we have already seen with Loui and Edler), it's not the likes of Megna or Chaput coming up. 

We expected this to be a down year, struggles are inevitable and honestly expected. I think for the most part the effort has been there which is nice to see. Again the one thing I like to preach is patience. It took awhile to transition out of the WCE era and into the Sedin Era (for the twins and the rest of that core to come into their own) and the same will apply here. If anything, be glad this transition is aided by high picks and good drafting all around (something that we didn't have the last transition - I think our highest pick outside of the twins was Luc and Hodgson yet somehow a core developed there that became a contender)  

Be positive folks and remember even if we did have elite talent, that doesn't necessarily translate to Wins (see Edmonton's early struggles thus far)

59 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Yes, they have to be told they won't be back next season. Benning has to grab control of this thing or walk away to let someone else take a shot. Nice guys finish last. 

At this stage, I doubt ownership will allow Benningden to bring back the Sedins even if they want to. 

Ok, even watching from afar here in New Zealand, that looked pathetic.  Coach Green has the ability, being new to the team, to change things up here quickly if he wants to, and to be honest, even though they got a hard time last year, I can't knock the effort from a Megna or Chaput over what the Sedins are displaying.  They'd at least do better on the defensive side than the twins at this point in time.  Vanek should be put on waivers as a failed experiment, and if he had the guts to do it, coach sits the Sedins down for a few games.  Reputations and past accomplishments aside, they are floating now, and floaters need to see the game from on high to, hopefully, see what they need to be doing instead of continuing to do more of the same.  Put Virt and Goldy in for them, Boucher for Vanek, and Granlund as 2nd line centre, and let the chips fall where they may for 2 weeks.  The embarrassment factor may be enough to get the team moving in the right direction again, as well as the Sedins.  

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

To clarify: "career B+" is talking about overall careers of those two.  V good but not elite.  I'd consider Loui a C+ / B- and Edler a B- / B for their short time this year (contracts non-withstanding - that's a Benning discussion.) 

As for the rest I don't disagree other than calling the two of the classiest guys to wear the uniform "dangling assturds."  

Ben Roethlisberger recently:  "I may not have it anymore."  After giving up 5 interceptions while making no touchdown passes.  He sucked.

The Sedins seem incapable of this kind of self-reflection.  Classy, yes.  But this kind of self-reflection might be helpful now.

12 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Markstrom is learning from Cloutier :ph34r:.  But in seriousness Markstrom has always a bit awkward and uncomfortable to me.  1B Average goalie.  

I have to admit I don't like this situation at all, hopefully by the time Demko arrives the right coach will be in place.

Just now, ilduce39 said:

Sure, career numbers are why Eriksson got his contract...I guess that thought process doesn't always work out so $&!# hot.

I made the 'dangling assturds' reference because that is what the Sedins are, in the metaphorical sense. They are hanging on despite a huge desire to part with them. The comparison has nothing to do with the Twins' character or career contributions

Their best before date has long passed, and it's time to move on. I don't think this team can really change until they do, to be honest.

Archived