The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Calgary Flames vs. Vancouver Canucks

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I appreciated what Burr did as well - we'll see come TDL.  People change their minds.  

I think there's a good chance this is their last year - if not I think it's a low dollar 1 year deal for them.

Either way I'm not ready to start shooing them out of town after game 4 when they had 3 decent games leading up. 

Green has already cut their ice time - that's a good enough first step.

They deserve a classy exit.  But it is harder to watch than I'd expected.  To see them so easily brushed aside... their passes going nowhere... the inability to hit the net with a decent shot... it's just so painful to watch.  They used to wear other teams down all on their own... a reliable point a game players.  Hell they were not only the best, they made hockey better. 

2 hours ago, debluvsburrows said:

Fitting way to follow a sleepless night with food poisoning.....Lions then Canucks.  Maybe I'll stub my toe on a rusty nail to round out the weekend.  Should probably call the ex too now that I'm on a roll...

In the middle of all the despair...a ray of sunshine :) +1

2 hours ago, coastal.view said:

i guess it really was not and is not coaching

need a bit more talent on this roster

need the youngsters to develop .. hopefully some roster rotation can occur around christmas

TRAVIS Green doesn't have the personnel to play his system.

Scratch Vanek and Gagner and call up Goldobin and Molino.

Sedin-Sedin-Goldobin

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

Granlund-Burmistrov-Virtanen

Molino-Sutter-Dorsett

Del Zotto-Tanev

Pouliot-Gudbranson

Hutton-Stecher

And Nilsson should get in nets finally.

Let's get some more speed energy and juice for skill goals entertainment and maybe just maybe a Dub here and there.

Granlund, Baertschi, Boeser and Horvat lead the forwards in ice time (in that order) - was about my favorite aspect of this game, including of course Boeser's goal.

Oh, of course, aside from Gudbranson's nice shot to Tkachuk's face, which inevitably resulted in quite a dramatic performance.

The Sedins 8 minutes of powerplay time were pretty ineffective with four shots between them and not a single shot from Vanek.  Ouch.  They were shutdown entirely by Calgary's very good penalty killing.

Thought Dorsett and Sutter had another very good shutdown game - with really good possession numbers as well.   Also liked what I saw from Gudbranson again tonight.  Granlund and Boeser in particular had strong games as well.

Pouliot was fun to watch - skillset is obvious - look forward to seeing him with more time, practice, chemistry under his belt.

Took 15 more shot attempts than the Flames - needless to say not a great night for Markstrom, but every goaltender has those nights.  Look forward to him bouncing back - as he tends to.   These kinds of games where he doesn't face a lot of shots - seems to be his tendency not to play as well.

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Benching the kids for poor play and then watching the Sedins constantly lose the puck and their checks and take bad penalties. 

Not the best message to send. The leaders of this team need to be waay better.

This needs to be the Sedins last season end of discussion period. It's getting boring watching their tired act they get knocked off the pick and are second liners at best now.

35 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

The Sedins being untouchable and the coach still thinking the vets should carry on in senior roles means management has written off this year. 

With Vanek we can call them the Gold Watch Line as they enter their retirement years....

I was actually at the game tonight.  Here are some of my observations:

Boeser - he's a stud and his skill level is prominent.  His goal was a thing of beauty and he was shooting from everywhere tonight.

Baerstchi - his first few games weren't that great but he was buzzing tonight.  Created great scoring chances and was generally all over the puck tonight.

Granlund - he's very solid defensively but soft and weak on the boards.  Got pushed off the puck quite easily.  Maybe he had an off game because I never really noticed this from him before.

Gudbranson - great shot to Tkachuk's face.  Tkachuk's a punk and does a lot of dirty crap not caught on TV.  He played tough all night, but for some reason stayed out of a scrum where one of the Sedins was getting mugged.

Pouliot - his skillset is quite obvious.  Apparently he hasn't even practiced with the PP units and still looked solid out there.  He's very mobile and makes a great first pass.

Power play - Yikes.  Nuff said. Sedins were shut down on the PP all game.  Giordano did a great job on them.  Pouliot looks like he can help the PP with some more practice.

Sutter - worked hard and tried create some offense.  Had a tough matchup against the Gaudreau-Monahan line and did pretty well.

Burmistrov - was pretty noticeable defensively and offensively.  He has good hockey sense and skated hard.  Perhaps the healthy scratch was a good wake up call.

Im already fed up of seeing the Sedins and Vanek, they are by FAR the worst players on this team. With the amount of PP time the Sedins got, there was almost little threat for the team to score. They need to be taken off the PP ASAP. Another thing I noticed during the PP was Boeser trying to overpass and not shooting right away, its almost as if hes trying to play like the twins, waiting for the perfect play. That is an inherent problem playing like the Sedins, theyve been great for so long in the past that a guy like Boeser has to adjust to THEIR way of playing rather than just keeping with his game of just blasting the puck from anywhere. The twins, Vanek, and Ericsson, even though he was just on the ice for a short time, thoughout the season so far are the worst players on the team. Even the bubble guys that people want to see in the pressbox like Dorsett and Burmistrov have looked better than the 35 plus year old has beens

12 minutes ago, mpass1 said:

Just one of those bad games!  Got to have a short term memory! Hopefully Virty and Goldy draw in soon!!

They need Goldy up immediately, the team looked horribly slow with just Virtanen being taken out. On a side note, Pouliot looked more than decent tonight and Im really liking Del Zotto so far

29 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

This needs to be the Sedins last season end of discussion period. It's getting boring watching their tired act they get knocked off the pick and are second liners at best now.

They were outmatched every time they were out on the ice and they look really slow. If their play continues like this for the rest of the season, I can't see why the team would want to bring them back. It's time to face facts and move on from them.

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

They deserve a classy exit.  But it is harder to watch than I'd expected.  To see them so easily brushed aside... their passes going nowhere... the inability to hit the net with a decent shot... it's just so painful to watch.  They used to wear other teams down all on their own... a reliable point a game players.  Hell they were not only the best, they made hockey better. 

The Sedins don't deserve anything. Us being the paying customer made them millionaires, so we owe them nothing

Its tough to see the Sedins get $&!# on but this game was a struggle for them.

Powerplay was tough to watch, the Sedin group needs more movement rather then always Henrik standing waiting to do something. I also think Gagner doesn't help them. Its like they get it back to him and he's not a threat to shoot either. They already have Henrik to pass then he throws it to Gagner who looks to make a perfect play too. Then they get burned on the first goal because you have a forward playing the point (Gagner) who's not reacting properly on a routine loss of possession.

I really think part of there problem is that they are STILL being relied upon to carry the load for this team. They are still good top 6 players, but they aren't guys that are going to be able to carry your team offensively anymore. 

They can't take Boeser out of the lineup now, he's a threat to score any game and if he continues to play like this and that line finds its groove then they will take pressure off the Sedins.

I liked Pouliot from what I saw, they should try him on the PP. Hopefully this Eriksson injury is Jake's opportunity to get back in consistently. 

Archived